Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 26

Author Topic: The Outpost - Dawn of a new colony [Zzzz]  (Read 27859 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: The Outpost - Dawn of a new colony
« Reply #60 on: June 05, 2011, 12:10:58 pm »

As fall draws to a close, the food supply becomes a growing concern.  The good harvest finally ran out, with less than expected yields of our last crops.  Hunting continued to be problematic, with little gained from the effort.

News from the quarry and beyond was much better, however.   The yield from the quarry was substantial this month- the new miners took to their jobs with ease.  The scouts headed south of the quarry and discovered a lake there.  It is unknown as of yet the extent of its shores.

The food issue was mollified somewhat by the arrival of a shipment of food from the homeland.  They apparently knew of our concern, and delivered us some of their harvest.  It will help keep our bellies full through the coming winter.

There is a chill in the air, and the color fades from the plants.  Winter is coming.

Spoiler: Results (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Area Map (click to show/hide)
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 05, 2011, 12:30:41 pm »

All hands to the quarry and to the hunting!

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 05, 2011, 02:11:53 pm »

All hands to the quarry and to the hunting!

Yes we're going to need that extra hunting group or there won't be enough food to get through the winter! Let's hope it's a relatively mild one and doesn't last longer than the one in our lands!

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2011, 02:19:05 pm »

If tis 3 months of winter, we need gain merely 110 food. Our hunters should be able to handle that, while everyone else mines. Lets also send off our 50 stone, so that they have something to begin working with.
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 05, 2011, 02:23:39 pm »

And we shouldn't forget to scout too.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 05, 2011, 02:29:27 pm »

Scouts follow the lakeshore I guess.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 05, 2011, 11:32:42 pm »

The chill of winter has set in.  As the farms lay frozen, our attention turns toward mining and hunting, which both prove successful this month.  The miners haul in unprecedented amounts of stone, meeting the minimum requirement for our task with two months to spare!  The hunting party has finally found success, bringing in a reasonable amount of food to support our stores.

The scouts sent to the lake shore accomplish nothing but catching hypothermia in the freezing mists.  Thankfully, there is no lasting harm, but nothing new was found.

HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 05, 2011, 11:39:04 pm »

Send them their 100 stone. Do the same as last turn, but if our stone supplies are high enough upgrade the HQ.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 05, 2011, 11:42:09 pm »

I agree. Send the 100 stone,. Everyone who isnt hunting (35 laborers on hunting), mines stone.
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 05, 2011, 11:57:45 pm »

So that means that we are going to shoot for the moon now then...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 06, 2011, 12:30:22 am »

So that means that we are going to shoot for the moon now then...

That or upgrade our stuff with stone. They both sound good, assuming the Homelands can reward us with food.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 06, 2011, 08:06:25 am »

You only have 40 wood, which isn't enough to upgrade anything.

Unless you want to suggest a stone-only building.  Remember, the structure list is a guideline, not an exclusive list.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 06, 2011, 11:45:45 am »

We can't even upgrade our road to cobblestone? Ah well. Shoot for the moon then. Perhaps the homeland will reward us greatly. Scouts attempt the same thing as last turn.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 06, 2011, 12:11:05 pm »

If we send them extra stone they may send us extra resources we need.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 06, 2011, 01:45:44 pm »

Expect better rewards the more you have available.

It is the dead of winter.  It is as cold, if not colder, than it gets back home.  We were beset by a massive blizzard in the middle of the month, which brought misfortune to us all.

The hunting party was the only group that had any manner of luck, as the blizzard was not as severe at the forest hunting grounds.  They brought home a modest catch.  The quarry suffered a collapse from the snow shifting around, and a worker was killed by falling rock.  The scouts were lucky enough to see it coming, and make it back home before getting caught in the open- at the cost of any progress.

After the snows melted, the bodies of a guard and a miner were found- they had frozen to death as well.

I only hope that the end of the winter isn't as severe as this month- these three were our first fatalities in the new colony.

PS: If you don't come up with 5 food this month, you'll face starvation effects for the first time.   Starvation is worse the larger your deficit, but the effects can include lowered performance, desertion, disease, death, riots, and more!

If you make up the deficit during the month, you'll be fine.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 26