Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 26

Author Topic: The Outpost - Dawn of a new colony [Zzzz]  (Read 27835 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
The Outpost - Dawn of a new colony [Zzzz]
« on: June 02, 2011, 01:37:32 pm »

The humans living in the world of Mitala were in danger.  The wide plains they called home were best suited for farmland, with little mineral wealth.  Their better-equipped neighbors were encroaching on their territory from all sides.  The northern Orcs in particular were intent on enslaving all of humanity.  Only an act of desperation could save them now.

The greatest sages came together to open a portal to another dimension, one they could send through colonists in hopes of finding mineral wealth to hold back the forces opposing them, or some other weapon to secure themselves once and for all.  After several failed attempts, a world was found that was suitable for a colony.  One hundred colonists were sent through the portal to find what they could to save the doomed ones back home.

You are their leader.  Do you have what it takes to lead the colony to glory and save humanity?

The king has entrusted you with guiding this colony.  What you have to work with is below:

Spoiler: Starting Outpost (click to show/hide)

Here is a map of the area:
Spoiler: Starting Map (click to show/hide)

Some suggested structures to build are listed below; you may follow those or decide on your own what needs to be built.  The colonists will also need to be given their tasks for the month.  The homeland will send you more colonists if you keep them well supplied.  Expect tasks to come from home as well.

What are your orders?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 09:10:41 pm by Toaster »
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: The Outpost - Dawn of a new colony
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 01:37:51 pm »

This is another suggestion adventure, following a colony of humans.  This post is a collection of relevant information.  This is just starter information- more will be unlocked later, both by design and player suggestion.

Each turn is a month.  Three months to a season, just like DF.  Game starts in first month of spring.

For building construction, one unit of time is one builder-month, the amount of work a builder does in a month.  So if you have a building that takes 10 units of time to build, 5 builders could build it in 2 months.

Spoiler: Resources (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Colonists (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Structures (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Other Constructables (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 09:28:44 am by Toaster »
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 01:46:34 pm »

What're the construction costs for the buildings?
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 01:48:23 pm »

To begin, I push for the following.
All 5 scouts, scout, 5 unguided.
Assuming we have the tools for it, 30 laborers should begin a lumber operation. Lumber is our only available resource, we should push it early in order to have the supplies to advance.
45 of our laborers should start hunting
Our builders should build as many farms as we're able to at this stage.
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 01:50:27 pm »

5 Scouts - Explore and hunt in the forests to the east
50 Laborers - Chop wood
10 Guards - Protect woodcutters
25 Laborers + 10 Builders - Set up farms in the nearby plains

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 01:51:08 pm »

Also, do we see any mountains on the horizon? They may be a good source of ore in the future.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 01:53:24 pm »

I say we worry about setting ourselves up with food and what resources we can easily locate. We can then send larger scouting parties out/push farther with a given party. Ore likely isn't close, but not terribly far away.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 02:02:32 pm »

What're the construction costs for the buildings?

They're abstracted away, but anything you need a lot of (housing, farms, not so much barracks) is cheap, anything major (HQ, the wall) is expensive, and everything else is midrange.   As of now, only the HQ would need stone to upgrade.  If you want me to be more specific, just ask.   Also, you're not limited to building what is listed- suggest something and I'll see what we can do.

Don't forget you have enough farms to employ 40 people right now.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 02:06:25 pm »

I say we put 40 people into farming right now.

Having wood for new buildings is good, but we already have enough living space and we won't be able to grow anything in the winter.

I imagine the silo will keep (most) of the food from going bad.

edit: We're going to need to build more farms soon unless we want to run out of food.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 02:09:02 pm »

How about watchtowers? Would those be easy to set up/recycle-able later and give us a bonus to not getting our asses kicked early?

Thats true Knave, Course, we have 75 laborers. 35 into lumber now and we could start into projects like a Windmill (which I believe should take high priority to give us farmers) before too long.
Shall we say:

40 laborers to farm
35 laborers to chop wood
Guards covering the woodcutters
Scouts of course scouting
Expand the housing slightly with our builders (prepare for more colonists just in case of a spring migrant wave.)
? As a more updated decision?

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 02:13:34 pm »

How about watchtowers? Would those be easy to set up/recycle-able later and give us a bonus to not getting our asses kicked early?

Thats true Knave, Course, we have 75 laborers. 35 into lumber now and we could start into projects like a Windmill (which I believe should take high priority to give us farmers) before too long.
Shall we say:

40 laborers to farm
35 laborers to chop wood
Guards covering the woodcutters
Scouts of course scouting
Expand the housing slightly with our builders (prepare for more colonists just in case of a spring migrant wave.)
? As a more updated decision?

Sounds pretty good to me!

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2011, 02:58:20 pm »

Cheap watchtowers would just be wood.  Ones with some stone would be a decent upgrade.  Watchtowers could be built anywhere- resource gathering operations, at home, chokepoints, wherever.  I'll put them on the big list.  Your colony knows of no threats here, though... yet.

You'll need to scout to find mountains or other sources of ore.

Outpost log for early spring, year 1

The outpost is getting its feet off the ground fairly well.  We focused early on towards gathering food and wood.  A pack of wolves attacked our laborers almost as soon as they stepped foot in the woods, but the guards drove them off.  The woodcutters were only slightly delayed by that occurrence, and were able to gather wood.

The builders took to expanding the housing.  In total, enough space was added for 40 more colonists- we should have plenty of room for the future.  This did exhaust our wood supply, however- not enough came in from the harvesters to build up a stockpile.

The scouts more than earned their keep!  Not only did they map some of the surrounding terrain, but they also brought back reports of a river and a site suitable for a stone quarry!

A message came from the homeland.  An inspector is coming in three months to check on our progress.  If he sees solid progress, he will instruct the king to send us more colonists.  Great finds will bring greater rewards.

No other interesting events occurred.

Spoiler: Outpost Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Area Map (click to show/hide)

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2011, 03:22:31 pm »

All laborers to gather wood
All builders to set up a quarry with gathered wood
Guards split between laborers and builders
Scouts follow the river

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2011, 03:25:51 pm »

Well well well. From the looks of it our 40 laborers brought in 80 food. This sort of food flow will keep us floating for a few months while we get some more farms/wood for a windmill.
I suggest we not split our labor to the south, to get stone -yet-. We got attacked right into the forest, so we might have some issues. We will likely need watchtowers to watch over the plains and safeguard our quarry. Lets move cautiously, No sense being risky.

My suggestion!
40 Laborers to Farming.
35 Laborers to Woodcutting.
5 Scouts scouting, No direction.
10 Guards cover the Woodcutters.
Builders use our stone to upgrade our HQ, If theres enough. If not, they should just remain idle.
--
My thoughts on our goals:
Our primary goal should be getting a windmill to train some farmers. Farmers will be a more stable supply of food likely pushing it to 3 food units per farmer, or even further. After that we should begin a defensive expansion towards the quarry location. We'll see how good hunting is come winter. But its likely highly variable. -AND- may cost us people.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2011, 03:30:43 pm »

35 Labourers to gather wood
All builders to set up a quarry with gathered wood
Guards split between laborers and builders
Scouts do what they do best.
Remaining labourers are to farm.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll