Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 26

Author Topic: The Outpost - Dawn of a new colony [Zzzz]  (Read 27840 times)

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Outpost - Dawn of a new colony
« Reply #315 on: July 16, 2011, 03:03:15 am »

We should repeat our last turn, it went well. Minus sending the crystal through, Lets keep one back just in case.

I contest the decision for a larger silo. At least this soon. I feel that can wait until the later months of the year, (its only a few months of woodcutting labor to acquire after all).For now we only have a silo ~1/5th of the way filled, and it will be much less filled come the new year. Is it a good move to upgrade? Yes. But I say not until midsummer at the earliest.

Now hear me out. A Silo is good, but its about what will best strengthen our position. A larger silo may not be the greatest improvement we can build for 150 wood. We're in no danger of currently filling it and wasting food. Not only that, filled it provides us with more than 5 months stored food easily with our current population. Not even remotely threatening. Even assuming we get 20-40 more migrants there is no way, currently, a full Silo (and wasted food) will threaten us during winter.

Therefore I am forced to conclude that for 150 wood we have at least 3 stronger moves that we can make.
The first, is a Wall lvl 2. 120 units of wood and two months of our builders time. Will give us: Added security, peace of mind. Strength of proposal? We are not currently directly threatened but I personally would feel safer having this building.
The second, is any single resource building upgrade. These are currently trivial costs. A few months of gathering and they would be ours (with only 2 months of build time for each). Even a level 3 Windmill is within our grasp. And -that- would give us potentially a filled silo.
The third of course, Is an upgraded HQ. This will allow us more buildings and upgrades that may be helpful.
And thinking on it further while I wrote this, A blacksmith is also a fine potential building, but I believe it should be slotted after a wall.

Additionally, I know I'm rambling a bit, but I support sending 50 ore through for people.
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: July 19, 2011, 10:25:05 am »

Level 3 of any of your current buildings will require an HQ upgrade.  I probably should have mentioned that- my bad.

A silo upgrade is 1000 additional food storage.

The chill is fading, and life is returning to the lands.  Winter is over, and we have survived our third year here.

Food concerns were alleviated as the fishermen brought in a hearty catch.  The hunt was a bit slow, but still productive.  Stone was mined, and our woodcutters continued to do quite well.

We sent 50 ore to the homeland with a request for more labor.   Eight laborers were sent in response.

At the end of the month, Solomon, one of the great sages in the kingdom, arrived through the portal with a party of ten men.  He came straight to me.  "You must show us to where you found these crystals.  It is imperative that we study them.  The king himself demands this."  I have little say in the matter- the scouts will be showing his group the cave this month.  Should we send anyone else with them?

Spoiler: Results (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Area Map (click to show/hide)

Your scouts are committed for the next turn, but you can send other units with the group if you wish.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: July 19, 2011, 10:43:56 am »

Well, Farmers farm, Hunters hunt, Woodcutters cut wood, Miners to the quarry for more stone.
I say the guards go with this group led by the Sage. No sense being careless.
Laborers should become..Miners? Mayhaps. That, or more woodcutters.

As for our builders: Let us debate. I propose one of the following: We move towards our HQ upgrade, Or a Miners guild now, and an HQ upgrade after. Why? Because our collection of stone and ore has been lagging of late, I feel that a Miners Guild is a strong move now. An upgrade to our HQ is also important. I'd like to see the new HQ this year, if at all possible. But my suggestion for right now, is the miners guild.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: July 19, 2011, 10:58:26 am »

I agree on all points but that we specialize the Laborers so early. We should probably hold off on that until after we upgrade the HQ (I see much construction in our future) and possibly add them to builders, scouts, or guards(assuming we get a Smithy). Right now we should probably use the Laborer generalization to our advantage and have them supplement whatever we need at the time, currently stone mining and wood cutting.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: July 19, 2011, 07:50:03 pm »

I agree, everyone do their vocations.

Discussion..
I believe our strongest move would be to convert the laborers into miners, then we can mine more. Which in turn we can request more people, then with more people, we can continue building faster and stronger.
After that we should make a few more farms, ask for more peasants then build the headquarters upgrade.

Edit : Send only half the guard, the other half stay at the village. We can never leave ourselves unguarded..

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: July 19, 2011, 08:20:05 pm »

we should build a smith soon nine guards aren't that dangerous to any invasion or attack and we need to protect our miners better
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: July 20, 2011, 02:57:40 am »

A smith soon? We haven't been attacked. Lets not jump the gun here. We're fine, more or less.
I agree with Immortal, making the laborers into miners was my 1st choice.
I still say that we're more or less fine on food, and should proceed with the HQ upgrade next month when we have the lumber.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: July 20, 2011, 05:26:48 am »

We also probably want to make paths to our other sites, it looks like that's only three tiles worth, and it's good to have infrastructure.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 02:31:49 pm by Happerry »
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: July 20, 2011, 07:33:21 pm »

Happerry,  I agree, after the headquarters improvements are completed though, then we shall connect the remaining sites. So in three months time we shall connect the roads.
Anyways this turn everyone work, builders help miners.

Edit: I wish we had a few more people tossing in ideas.. where has Angle and Nevyn vanished to?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 07:38:25 pm by Immortal »

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: July 20, 2011, 08:17:41 pm »

Why don't we turn 3 of the lumberers into miners and save the rest so we can later turn them into builders? Judging by how we're progressing, we'll need many. If we use the lumberers to supplement our workforce without specializing them we can minimize penalties (for now). Take for instance that the builders have been used for woodcutting since the early days. If, in a few months, we need more wood we could switch over lumberers who get less of a penalty for these things. Roads and upgrades (HQ,Miner Guild,Silo) have been mentioned and we only have 15 builders. It'd take 2 months for the Miner's Guild, 1 for the road, 1 for the silo, and 3 for the HQ (if we began the road as we finished the Guild we could finish the road and silo together cutting off a month).

This is assuming we'll have enough materials right after each project. If we keep lumberers we can rotate them through different jobs (without training) or severely cut down on build time. Let us also remember that lumberers can double as farmers (probably fishers) as well without the insane penalties of other jobs. While specialization will help push us further, I'd like something to fall back on, when whatever we land on pushes us back.

On Another Note: We should have enough food revenue to support 37 more people through the year. I don't suggest we do so but I'd like to acknowledge the limit.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: July 21, 2011, 06:22:36 am »

I still maintain that the Silo upgrade is not required at this stage. We're just not doing that well in terms of food gathering to need the additional storage.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: July 21, 2011, 01:35:17 pm »

The guards and scouts went with Solomon's group out to the cave deep in the forest.  They easily track down the cave, where the group descends into the depths of the earth for two weeks, only coming out for food and water.  Eventually, they come forth bearing more of the crystals.  They return to the camp and approach me.  Solomon tells us this:

"It is exactly as we thought.  These crystals are concentrated sources of magical energy.  It appears the mana field of this world is strange- in most places, weaker than ours, but where ley lines cross, such as that cave, it is much stronger.  There, with the correct training, it is possible to collect these crystals.  They can be used to fuel enchantment and curses by those with the proper magical study."

"I will leave these ten men here.  They have the training needed to collect these crystals.  Send them forth to gather more of these, and send back to us all of them.  This may be the break we need to turn the tide against the evil Orc forces attacking our world."

"Go now and gather.  This outpost may be the only thing standing between us and annihilation."

He then left through the portal with all the crystals.

Another visit from the Rak'tar happened while Solomon's group was gone.  They brought us another gift of food- it appears they have nothing else to give.  Someone gave one a stone club- he appeared interested in it and left, bowing his head.

In more local news, the windmill proved quite useful in assisting our farmers with their efforts.  The hunters continued to bring in fresh game.  Stone was mined in ample quantities, and wood continued to come in in vast amounts.  Training the laborers into miners mostly went well, but a chunk of stone was destroyed when a couple trainees got too excited about extracurricular practice.

Spring is starting to get into full swing.  What other events will this new year bring?

Spoiler: Results (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Area Map (click to show/hide)

If anyone can come up with a better name than Collector, I'd appreciate it.  That one sucks.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: July 21, 2011, 01:43:41 pm »

I still say we should build a smithy then trade surplus weapons Rak'tar for any of these crystals they find
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: July 21, 2011, 02:36:18 pm »

Hunters hunt, Farmers farm, Miners gather stone as we still have insufficient quantities. Woodcutters cut wood.
Collectors is stupid. Arcanists? Iunno.. Creative well is tapped today. But yes, they go collect crystals. Guards cover them.

Builders: It is time for the beginning of our HQ Upgrade.

Projected outline for built projects in the future: After the HQ upgrade I propose the following, A wall, then a blacksmith. I am however strongly opposed to trading weapons to anyone. For all we know the crystals are sacred to one or all of the civilizations we've found. Revealing we're gathering em? ++UNWISE++

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: July 21, 2011, 02:59:55 pm »

FYI:  Only Collectors (or whatever they end up being called) can gather crystals.  They perform any other labor at half rate.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 26