Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 26

Author Topic: The Outpost - Dawn of a new colony [Zzzz]  (Read 27838 times)

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
Re: The Outpost - Dawn of a new colony
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2011, 11:10:12 am »

All builders build farms.

Scouts explore the Forrest.

Workers harvest wood.

Guards guard workers.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2011, 02:41:59 pm »

Time to juggle people around. Turn enough people into farmers we are making more food then we eat, just by a little bit. Explore out to the woods, but don't put everyone else on wood. Split them between wood and stone.

And I presume the new terrain type is Poor Grassland? You might want to put a terrain key back up.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2011, 03:19:23 pm »

Gonna agree with Happ again. We gotta secure the food supply. So lets start building some farms, Explore that forest, 40 laborers into farmers to start (covers our existing farms and most of our food requirement), 45 into lumber harvesting, guards of course, covering the woodcutters.
We'll take a months loss on food but we can start pulling up our stockpiles.
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2011, 04:15:27 pm »

And I presume the new terrain type is Poor Grassland? You might want to put a terrain key back up.

It's to mark the stone site- it's just a stone outcropping amid the grassland, and I didn't see a good symbol for that.  I'll update the map to indicate that soon, though.

I try to average out the suggested turns, if you're wondering why you sometimes don't get exactly what you request.

The midsummer heat must be affecting the colonists- it never get this hot back in the homelands.  Woodcutting was slowed due to heat exhaustion, slightly hampering their efforts.  The scouts were worse off.  Two collapsed due to the heat when heading out to explore the forest, and the others had to ditch supplies and gear to get them back to the outpost.  They all survived, at least.

Training farmers went extremely well.  They took to the training so quickly that they went out on a celebratory hunt, and brought back several deer.  It helped offset the lost time of farming.  In other farming news, three new farms were built.

As promised, the inspector sent us 15 colonists, who brought with them enough food to feed themselves for two months.  It appears our progress is well noted back home.

Spoiler: Results (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Area Map (click to show/hide)
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2011, 05:17:13 pm »

Now let us set up that damn quarry. Guard the builders. Any and all spare workers go hunting. Scouts back to the Forrest.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2011, 05:26:05 pm »

I can accept that now. I'd -prefer- a push towards a Sawmill, but sure. Lets start moving towards setting up a quarry.
40 Farmers on farming of course, I'd say oh 40 laborers on woodcutting, and then a further 30 hunting. While our scouts hit the forest, and our builders set up a quarry.

I also suggest we look to the possibility of a road, later on, between our quarry and our colony. Simply to ease the movement of stone.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2011, 05:31:18 pm »

Do we split the guard or leave our woodsmen unprotected?

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2011, 05:37:06 pm »

Hrm, I say we split the guard. We've seen no aggression since the wolves, and we're maintaining our numbers in the forest, so we shouldn't see any wild animals. And the quarry will need to be protected.
In coming months we should likely also get a watchtower near the quarry.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2011, 06:25:04 pm »

Well, time to get the farmers working. Everyone else can do normal resourcing. Lets get that food deficit fixed.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2011, 09:17:09 pm »

A mix of events came this month, as the summer heat started to taper off.

Our woodcutters performed admirably, bringing in another fine haul of wood.  The trained farmers showed off their skills and brought in larger batches of food than we had gotten previously.

The quarry was a grand success, with pits dug to reach many different areas of deposits.  It is clearly a deep resource of stone.

The scouts must not have recovered from last month, as they entered the forest and got badly lost.  By the time they got back, they had wasted their time and found nothing.

A week ago, a massive thunderstorm brewed in the plains, and blew over our camp.  A house (thankfully empty) was stuck by lightning and burned to the ground before anyone could save it.  There was nothing salvageable from the ruins.

Troubling news from the homeland.  A messenger came through the portal and delivered our first specific orders.  The Orc tribes have been seen advancing on our northern border, and the king wishes to strengthen the walls there, but lacks the stone for it.  He has requested that we deliver as much stone as possible by the end of the year.  100 units is the minimum, but if we could deliver twice that we would be sure to win favor.  We will have to work hard to meet that goal.

Spoiler: Results (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Area Map (click to show/hide)
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2011, 09:21:10 pm »

Right, time to make a miner's guild while moving people off wood onto stone. Put enough workers on food to aid the farmers so we start gaining at least some before winter, but everyone else can go mine for now. Lets see if we can get 200 stone!

Also, Miner's guild claim to effect woodcutting, and I think you meant metal mining.
Forenia Forever!

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2011, 09:28:03 pm »

I concur. We have the wood for it, so let us put up a miners guild. 10 builders on that.
40 farmers of course, farming.
I move that of our 70 laborers, we have 50 immediately move to work on quarrying. We -must- succeed at this task. Now of our 20 remaining, How pray tell do we get more builders? Cause I think we could use an extra 5.
But if we cannot expand our builder squad yet, I say 6 of these laborers work on our 3 new farms, and the remaining 14 harvest lumber.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2011, 09:48:15 pm »

Builders require the first HQ expansion.  I should probably note that somewhere.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2011, 10:00:53 pm »

Expand farms. Gather wood. Explore Forrest. Guard Gathers. Next month we go into stone gathering full time so let us break the food deficit here!

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2011, 10:09:12 pm »

((Not actually relating to this turn))
The way I see things, We're coming into autumn so we might not have much time for building more farms. Plus, with only 10 builders we can only build 3 a month. Best use of our time? Currently I think not. With even 5 more builders we'd be able to build 5 Farms a month.
With one more turn of farms built we'd have 26, that would push us slightly over our current food deficiet. But cost us more laborers. Lets keep in mind that farmers are useless to us during winter.
If we want to really push our food supply up lets go 40 farmers, 70 Hunters, while still building our miners guild. We may see one more group of colonists this year. Maybe 2. Lets plan for 1. If we did this, pretty much everything the hunters gathered would be surplus. There are no guarantees hunting will go well in winter either. I dislike..hoping.

We have to get that 100 stone. Thats all. Anything after that is ours, unless we break 200. 200 may not be possible, but we should still try for it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 26