Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 26

Author Topic: The Outpost - Dawn of a new colony [Zzzz]  (Read 27858 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: The Outpost - Dawn of a new colony
« Reply #270 on: July 01, 2011, 02:27:24 pm »

Level 2 collection central resource buildings are 10% bonuses.

builders join in the building,

Building what?  If you mean a level 2 windmill, you're well short of the wood for starting it.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: July 01, 2011, 02:31:34 pm »

@Terenos
We've got 2 to 4 months before we have the wood for the upgrade (have 54, need 160). We should get about 30 wood/month, so if we trade some stone for wood next month we'll probably be able to begin building it on the third month.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 02:33:56 pm by ArKFallen »
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: July 01, 2011, 02:44:34 pm »

Er. woodcutting. I meant woodcutting. Ssh, Minds everywhere right now.
Aye, Lets hope for several good harvests of lumber. Then we can look to other food related concerns..A fishing pier, boats..so on.
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: July 01, 2011, 03:54:29 pm »

Ark and Terenos I fully agree, trade some stone for food. Not to much thought, and we should consider trading the ore for the map, they may be able to work it, but it saves us trading refined ore. They are still unable to mine it themselves though..

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: July 05, 2011, 11:07:50 am »

Too busy this weekend to update.  Not dead yet!

The first month of autumn did not bring much news, though stocking food for the winter went less well than we hoped.  Our first autumn harvest was a bit lacking, and our hunters returned with absolutely nothing.  Perhaps all the noise our lumberjacks were making in clearing so many logs scared away the prey.  Ore mining proceeded without incident.

Ricko was not pleased to be sent on trade duty, but he completed the trade without a hitch anyway.  The Alash asked about their ore offer, but we just stalled them, telling them we were considering it.

At the end of the month, two more civilians arrived.  They were trained as a hunter and a builder.

Winter is only two months away now.

Spoiler: Results (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Area Map (click to show/hide)

On the ore trade, there were two votes for and two against, so it's still up in the air.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: July 05, 2011, 12:48:58 pm »

Could we maybe get the people cutting wood to go to the forest 2 tiles below the lodge? It's the same distance and if we scare any game it should go toward the hunters. May not be the case but hey, worth a try.

We're probably going to be scrapped for food this winter if hunting and (the later) fishing doesn't take. We're making an average of 25 in food net gain from farming (before RNG). Three months worth of food is currently 540. We've got 308 food now. 333 will only get us through two months. If anyone's got some good immediate ideas for food, now's the time.
Aside from our impending food issues I say: hunters hunt, lumberjacks and builders cut wood, miners mine, farmer farm, guards guard miners, and the scouts/Ricko should scout around the new lumberjack area (the unknown beyond it).
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: July 05, 2011, 02:59:40 pm »

We're actually doing more or less fine. Assume the following: That we'll have sufficient food for ~2 months, when winter starts. We will lose some stockpiled food, but with fishing and hunting, we should do just fine when winter comes. Far less dire need than last winter. We have no need for immediate food ideas.

As far as your layout, I agree -mostly. This month should see us completing the supplies needed for a windmill. But yknow what? Maybe we shouldn't. A Fishing Docks would give us slightly more capability in terms of fishing, for the upcoming winter. While we don't strictly speaking need our windmill until the end of winter.  As the windmill takes 20 time, we'll need to start it in midwinter, to finish it for spring.

Now, assuming that we maintain this speed of woodcutting (lets assume ~50 wood per month), if we spent 60 this month we'd lose 10 wood. That would leave us 150.Then by the first  month of winter our cutting should push us to 200 and we can start our windmill. This is of course assuming no major setbacks. And major setbacks are the only reason not to. So there should theoretically be nothing stopping us from having our windmill and another small building by the first month of next year.
So I move that we construct a fishing docks this month. Or, alternatively we can postpone it until next month to ensure our supplies of wood are sufficient.

In addition! I support the trading of ore to the Lizardmen. Just a few units and they may suddenly desire many MANY more. This? Is good. We want a relationship of trade with them.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 03:04:21 pm by Terenos »

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: July 05, 2011, 03:23:35 pm »

I agree that we should probably get the docks seeing as the windmill will be pointless in winter and we'll be able to start it by the end of winter. I say we get the dock this month, then when the time comes we can send 7/8 people to help the builders complete the windmill in a month.
So 10 builder's should build that dock instead of cutting, says I.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: July 05, 2011, 04:56:38 pm »

Sounds like a plan and Terenos makes a good point about supplying the ore, not only will it  give us additional information the demand for ore may dramatically increase as a result
Wow, that's actually really friggin' awesome looking.
That is brilliant.
That is hilarious, Ashton. I love it.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Totally not a narcissist.

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: July 06, 2011, 06:15:40 pm »

I agree with it all! Build the docks, and like I mentioned last month, lets give them that ore, they will soon enough ask for more as they have no means to obtain it themselves.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: July 07, 2011, 12:18:47 pm »

Only builders may build- it's a trained labor only.  (If you want more, they come from an upgraded HQ.)

Midautumn brings another poor harvest.  We don't need another of these before winter.  Worse, the hunters don't have much luck.  We at least covered food for this month, but we failed to increase our stores by any real amount.

Wood collection, again, went very well.  Our miners continued to collect ore.

Our builders were able to easily construct a fishing dock.  We'll better be able to fish from there now.  During the construction, a giant log floated to the shore by the site.  A couple builders took it aside and practiced the canoe design using the new facilities, and they were able to build a canoe from it.  We'll certainly be able to build more of them.

We brought the ore the Alash requested to them.  As promised, they told us of the surrounding areas.  To the north of them is a large grassy plain, suitable for herd animals.  The herders they mentioned earlier lived here.  The marsh continues northeast of them and turns swampy, before gaining elevation and turning to forest.  They have not trekked much east, as they say the land dries out that way.  The lake shore turns south of them and continues south for a while.

Ricko and the scouts were tasked to explore the rest of the forest near us.  Ricko, however, sighted a large boar whom he wanted to kill as a trophy for his father.  The group spent the entire month stalking it before giving up.  He is annoyed, and no scouting was accomplished.  Next month is his last month with us.

No one said where you wanted the fishing dock, so let me know where on the shore to put it and I'll add it in.  Any of the three hexes of grasslands facing the lake is fine.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #281 on: July 07, 2011, 12:47:48 pm »

I think the northwest most hex is good. we can go and build a branch in the road to it.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: July 07, 2011, 02:34:32 pm »

I agree, the northwest most hex, due south of our village. It wont be hard to get a road there.
As for the rest. Hunters hunt, lumberjacks cut wood, farmers farm, builders join in the woodcutting, miners of course mine ore, and the guards cover them.

Scouts with Ricko are given free reign to track that boar further. I'd like to see some discussion on this; Maybe some of the hunters should assist? I want Ricko to return in a good mood. I believe this may give us some favor with the king. Or at least with Ricko, who may have the capability to send us small things in return.

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: July 07, 2011, 09:39:59 pm »

Agreed on the hex due south of our village for the dock. Also I agree Terenos, maybe we can spare 3 hunters or so for Ricko, I suggest they all travel deeper into the forest for larger trophy game. The scouts should be able to map a bit more if they go deep enough.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: July 08, 2011, 09:30:53 pm »

Okay.  The dock's there.

The end of autumn brings quite the large harvest, wearing out our farmers as they bring in load after load.  Our hunters had quite a healthy harvest as well, bringing in quite a share of food.  This bodes well for the winter.

Wood collection was much slower this month, but our ore miners continued to do well.

We tasked Ricko with finding that boar, and send three hunters along with him to assist with the hunt.  At the end of the month, they return triumphantly with an absolutely enormous boar, bigger than anyone present had ever seen.  Its tusks were nearly a foot long, with fierce-looking teeth.  It must have weighed as much as five men.  Ricko has it brought back through the portal with him, grinning from ear to ear.  I hope he enjoyed his stay.

The scouts this time were better prepared for what hunting with Ricko entailed.  They were able to detail the lay of the land, mapping out some of the forest to the northeast of us.  It appears to be quite large, though they think they have most of it on the map now.

One of the scouts saw two strange glittering crystals in the mouth of a cave deep in the forest.  He brought them back with him and marked the spot on his map- he thinks there may have been more in there.  Nobody here knows what they are for, however.  We are not sure what to do with them, so we will hold on to them for the time being.

A cold wind blows in a few snowflakes- winter has begun.

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 26