Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 26

Author Topic: The Outpost - Dawn of a new colony [Zzzz]  (Read 27866 times)

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
Re: The Outpost - Dawn of a new colony
« Reply #240 on: June 27, 2011, 01:04:44 pm »

Maybe we should build a forge? That would allow us to give our troops better weapons, and to trade metal tools to the lizard people.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: June 27, 2011, 01:21:15 pm »

We will only need to build 8 more farms and train 16 more Farmers to make the ideal level of 1.25 the needed Farms to feed the People. I feel we should build perhaps half of that and take 5 Labourers and 3 Hunters for that and train the rest of the Labourers into Woodcutters.

Building 4 Farms would naturally cost 32 Lumber which we can finish this turn...

I know that the Windmill can increase the food gained but the fact that it will take a while is something that is in truth quite annoying...

We should also build Barracks and a Blacksmiths soon...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: June 27, 2011, 01:22:32 pm »

Map is updated now.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #243 on: June 27, 2011, 02:08:51 pm »

Maybe we should go straight for another level of sawmill? it would be expensive, but it might be worth it.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: June 27, 2011, 02:11:13 pm »

Can we afford that, when we clearly are still not out of the woods regarding food production?
As far as nevyn's suggestion to train 5 laborers and 3 hunters into farmers, I agree. As we'll need them on our farms. But I still feel the strongest move right now, is to get to a level 2 windmill, as soon as possible. Better food production leads to less people on farms. Which leads to more labor available for other tasks.
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #245 on: June 27, 2011, 02:19:46 pm »

Yeah, I agree. the forge, ;pier, sawmill upgrade, etc. can wait. we need that upgraded windmill.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: June 27, 2011, 04:36:53 pm »

I hope you all don't mind that I join in on this.
We will only need to build 8 more farms and train 16 more Farmers to make the ideal level of 1.25 the needed Farms to feed the People. I feel we should build perhaps half of that and take 5 Labourers and 3 Hunters for that and train the rest of the Labourers into Woodcutters.

Building 4 Farms would naturally cost 32 Lumber which we can finish this turn...
I second this. (If plots give 5 food when manned by farmers wouldn't we need 7 farms and 14 farmers?)

And instead of trading ore to the Alash, why don't we hold out for tools. They most likely can't even work metal because of it's scarcity and difficulty. We should hold out for a blacksmith and trade metal tools, and when they become dependent on them we could teach them the art for a high price under the guise of altruism. It's win win.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: June 27, 2011, 07:46:39 pm »

I hope you all don't mind that I join in on this.

I second this. (If plots give 5 food when manned by farmers wouldn't we need 7 farms and 14 farmers?)

173 (Last months required Mouths to Feed) + 5 (Migrants) = 178 / 5 (Farmer Approx output) = 36 (Rounded up, Required Farms) * 2 (Farmers per Farm) = 72 (Farmers Required) * 1.25 (Personal Preferance on increasing food atm) = 90 (Farmers) / 2 = 45 (Farms)
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: June 27, 2011, 08:20:03 pm »

Sorry I wasn't paying enough attention. :-[
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: June 27, 2011, 10:22:48 pm »

I fully agree with Terenos, he said my exact thoughts. I believe you and me are on the same page as to the plans for our village.

Question - With the upgraded hq will we be able to train spearman armed with fire hardened or rock tipped spears if needed? Or even archers with rock tips arrows?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: June 28, 2011, 12:40:05 pm »

I fully agree with Terenos, he said my exact thoughts. I believe you and me are on the same page as to the plans for our village.

Question - With the upgraded hq will we be able to train spearman armed with fire hardened or rock tipped spears if needed? Or even archers with rock tips arrows?

You'll still need a blacksmith, but it doesn't take much ore for one.  Regular archers don't need metal anyway (but are better suited for base defense.)

Midsummer passes without any of the excitement of the previous month.  The King's nephew is a scout of questionable ability, as he led our scouts in circles around the eastern woods, wasting some supplies.  Work was completed on four new farms.  Those training to work those farms are natural farmers, picking up the trade very quickly.  They used the spare time to assist with the farm constructing, saving some resources in the process.  Training of the lumberjacks did not go as well, but they all managed to finish, though they used up the materials saved by the farmers.  Such is life.

The miners worked an extremely rich vein this month, returning a very high yield.  The hunters also had good success, though the summer heat dwindled our crops somewhat.

Spoiler: Results (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Area Map (click to show/hide)
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: June 28, 2011, 03:08:52 pm »

I am thoroughly excited by this months gains, the village is coming along nicely, our homeland and king will be pleased.
Everyone should do their respectively trained labours, the miners and guards keep at that ore mine. The builders though should help support the lumberjacks and collect the wood for them so that they may be more efficient this month.

Uh Ricko is obviously a hindrance to our quest, lets just send them to the lizard people to ask them for their trade ratios of ore and stone to wood and food.

The next task should be to upgrade the windmill to support more mouths, then attempt to acquire more hands in the village. After that I say we move towards defence of the main village then to the ore mine.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: June 28, 2011, 05:02:03 pm »

I find I must concur with Immortal. Farmers to farms, hunters hunt, Lumberjacks cut wood. Builders help the lumberjacks. Guards cover the Miners who mine ore. So forth.

While I'm not entirely onboard with sending Ricko to the Lizardmen, we do need to find out trade ratios. This is important.
And yes, our next goal should be the greater windmill. assuming nothing untoward happens we should have the supplies by the new year.
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: June 28, 2011, 05:26:48 pm »

Also as for the lizardmen if we're doing a lot of trading with them can we propose we both give half the materials necessary for a basic road to link the two sites, maybe we could do it entirely in return for something; I'm not sure about the specifics but I think if we want to do any hauling it would require a road.
Wow, that's actually really friggin' awesome looking.
That is brilliant.
That is hilarious, Ashton. I love it.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Totally not a narcissist.

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: June 28, 2011, 06:11:32 pm »

Good point Terenos. Could we just send 3 scouts to run there and back, and let the others frolic in the eastern forest; or would that incur a penalty to negotiations? We should specifically ask the stone to wood rate.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 26