Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Post here your fortress ideas  (Read 9236 times)

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
Re: Post here your fortress ideas
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2011, 07:35:54 am »

The Battle of the Five Armies / The Lonely Mountain of Erebor

Embark near a human village to a biome with giant eagles. Carve a huge treasure chamber inside the mountain and fill with treasure. Capture a dragon inside the treasure chamber. Anger the elves and the humans and find a way to keep their armies put until you have a siege from the elves, the humans and the goblins simultaneously on your map. Capture a giant eagle. Kill the dragon. Fight!

Bonus points: anger the dwarves to get a dwarven siege and reduce your strength to 13 dwarves (and a plump helmet man representing Bilbo)
Super bonus: win the battle and bury one of your fallen dwarves inside the mountain with his artifact sword and an artifact gem, don't stop playing

You cannot get sieged by your own civilization.

durbu

• Bay Watcher
  • Halt! Hammerzeit!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2011, 08:04:06 am »

Ah. Oh well, scratch that.
"One of the seven just drowned while cleaning saltwater from the seabed."

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2011, 08:11:41 am »

Underwater Glass fort? Ive got a lake-bottom green-glass statue garden. You could either build it in winter when the water freezes (like i did) or build it and then flood the map. A surface road on top could lead up to a single glass tower rising out of the water.

Sir Leonard III

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2011, 11:29:32 am »

Currently trying to create a medieval type castle, which I guess the game is all about that.
But the nobility will be living above ground, while the mid class live two zlevels down and the poor live several zlevels down.
I'm also creating a tavern where an airlock will be made and my brewer will be locked in the "kitchen" with my chef. They'll have necessary items, food, drink and beds. But they'll place the food/drink into their stockpile then into the other stockpile which will be where the civilians will drink.
I'm also going to create large, amazing dining halls underground between the slums and nobility for all the dwarves to look at in awe.

Bit of a downside, however. BADGERS EVERYWHERE
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 11:32:02 am by Sir Leonard III »
Hush little baby, listen to my song,
Mamma's gonna tan you a troll leather thong.
And if that thong don't menace with spikes,
Mamma's gonna kill you whatever you like...

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2011, 11:41:08 am »

I have this cool concept of channeling down whole map several z levels, except leave bridge like structure on the middle. Then build your village on the middle of this bridge. then start defending both ends of the bridge against goblins
possibly fill the "lake" with magma or water".

Edit: In fact, I  just started this fort after writing this.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 11:48:14 am by dwarfhoplite »

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2011, 11:49:44 am »

The Battle of the Five Armies / The Lonely Mountain of Erebor

Embark near a human village to a biome with giant eagles. Carve a huge treasure chamber inside the mountain and fill with treasure. Capture a dragon inside the treasure chamber. Anger the elves and the humans and find a way to keep their armies put until you have a siege from the elves, the humans and the goblins simultaneously on your map. Capture a giant eagle. Kill the dragon. Fight!

Bonus points: anger the dwarves to get a dwarven siege and reduce your strength to 13 dwarves (and a plump helmet man representing Bilbo)
Super bonus: win the battle and bury one of your fallen dwarves inside the mountain with his artifact sword and an artifact gem, don't stop playing

You cannot get sieged by your own civilization.
Does this mean you  can freely kill  merchants of your own civ?

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2011, 12:23:56 pm »

You -could-, as long as you don't use military to do it. You'll be in for a lot of fun if you does.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2011, 12:50:02 pm »

You -could-, as long as you don't use military to do it. You'll be in for a lot of fun if you does.

Yeah. You need to use cave-ins, wild beasts, GLORIOUS MAGMA, drowning traps, but if you make one your dwarves directly kill a member of your civilization excluding justice, you're in for some fun.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2011, 01:46:07 pm »

Yeah. You need to use cave-ins, wild beasts, GLORIOUS MAGMA, drowning traps, but if you make one your dwarves directly kill a member of your civilization excluding justice, you're in for some fun.
what will happen?

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2011, 02:10:43 pm »

what will happen?

The "murderers" take a loyalty hit from Dwarves in your fort who see it, the hit is too your CIV Loyalty, and they will be attacked by Dwarves loyal to your CIV, those attackers take a loyalty hit to your FORT Loyalty, and they will be attacked by Dwarves Loyal to your fort... it quickly degenerates into a Fort wide civil insurrection.

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2011, 02:15:10 pm »

In this case, I think the fun is both "fun" and "Fun".
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2011, 02:29:34 pm »

The recreation of Unknown Kadath would be a challenging mega-project.(and a nice fort if its hollow and wide enough) Its basically a massive tower/mountain "with the clouds serving as a belt for its foothills"(paraphrase), crowned with a massive castle. Megadwarf bonus for making it all out of obsidian(since onyx is only a gem). Superdwarf bonus if you use its topmost portions as a means of executing prisoners via falling. Ultradwarf bonus if you make it in a desert.

There are some great ideas in here, but you win the prize for mentioning the dream cycle. I salute you.

And just to contribute, I also now feel compelled to find basalt under a glacier and rebuild the Plateau of Leng.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2011, 02:35:41 pm »

I've been trying to find an embark in a haunted, relatively flat, desert.

I want to build the Emerald City!

An entire city, walls, rooms, towers, all made of green glass. Aboveground farming in the fields around the walls, a yellow (gold) brick road, the works. However, I'm having a tough time finding a flat desert.

Bonus: Mod in flying evil monkeys
If you want to go by the book and not the movie, only the outside would be green(and technically, green rock, either garnierite or olivine, for example). Everything else inside the city was white.

Bonus: Mod in green glass facewear(glasses, specifically), and make everyone in the city wear them at all times. Keep a bin of them just outside for visitors.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2011, 03:03:06 pm »

I'm building the Titanic to scale once the next version comes out. Going to build entirely from steel, with a few self written mods for different colored steel.

Bonus: Build the Titanic in a giant cistern so you can fill it to float level with water.

Mega-Bonus: Same as above, but substitute MAGMA instead of water.

Mega-Dwarfy-Bonus: Cast an Obsidian-berg in the path of the Titanic. (Doing this one)

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2011, 01:13:11 pm »

Build moon.

Build huge moon-like structure to your sky.
Make it giant battle station like the Deathstar in starwars.
Then release hfs and crush those rebel scums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5