Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Post here your fortress ideas  (Read 9224 times)

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
Post here your fortress ideas
« on: June 02, 2011, 01:31:11 pm »

Every Urist out there! Share your creativity and write any ideas for a fortress you have. 

Point of this thread is to put good ideas in one thread with specific name. I know there are many similar threads but their names are very random.  :)

PS: Most likely this will become my private monologue thread :D

Build dwarven version of Minas Tirith. http://www.matchstickmarvels.com/images/MTFinishedsquare8x8.jpg
-City must have seven levels, each of them protected by wall and a gate. Make barracks into gatehouse on each level.
-On the seventh build sacrificial temple of Armok or king's palace.
-Don't go underground other than mine stone for your city. everything from stockpiles to housing must be aboveground
-Fight out the goblins on the Pelennor Uristnnor fields.

Bonus: Push your burning nobles (among other things) down the massive cliff like in the movie.
Superbonus: release hfs outside your walls and pretend they are the nazqul.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 01:56:25 pm by dwarfhoplite »

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Post here your fortress ideas
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 02:29:13 pm »

Double bonus if you manage to fling burning nobles amongst the invading goblin hordes with a bridge-a-pult.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 02:38:17 pm »

I'm working on an Enrichment Center type fort in an arctic ocean. Magma reactor for infinite water supply to power the systems.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Root Infinity

• Bay Watcher
  • Why?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 05:17:34 pm »

2 words - Castle Turing...
Can't actually have chains, unfortunately... But I'm working on a Turing Machine...
Classic Medieval sexist views are awesome when they work out in your favor.
Noone likes my witty comments enough to sig them.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 08:18:04 pm »

Fortress of the mushroom people. Dwarfs living in cast obsidian mushrooms.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 08:31:51 pm »

The Grand Brewery.

Focus the fort on producing every type of booze of the highest quality and quantity possible and exporting it around the world.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 11:38:44 pm »

Sparta.

Build a totalitarian village where everybody (maybe except for bookkeeper and manager) are soldiers.
Ancient Sparta didn't have city walls, you won't have walls either.
Make goblins pray for mercy, don't give any, dump them in your pit. this is SPARTAA!
Have your military leader named Leonidas.

Bonus: equip all your dwarves using only goblinite and what caravans bring
Bonus: don't use traps. fight off any invaders using your mighty military of 100 men dwarves
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 01:28:54 pm by dwarfhoplite »

Proxiee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 11:49:41 pm »

Look at you. Wanting to make a fort from LOTR and having it be a, can I even say it, a HUMAN fort?

http://www.rpgash.me.uk/lotro/moria_special_edition/moria_map.jpg

that's what you shall make

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 06:41:49 am »

Obviously Moria was tons of FUN, since they hit the HFS.

Tetragenic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 07:20:03 am »

Urist McPotter

Build Hogwarts! Must have:

4 towers, each as identical as possible.
A large Entrance Hall where dwarves can enter. Should be engraved as much as possible on the walls, smooth floor.
A Great Hall (dining room), containing fires/magma lights (magma enclosed in glass walls).
A Central Staircase. Spiral if possible.
A set of dungeons, with traps involving water.
A hospital wing on the upper floors.
All made out of stone, except stairs and furniture.
All farming must go on outside, away from the castle.

Bedrooms must be built in 4 places. Inside two of the towers, inside the building itself, and in the dungeons. Dwarves must be restricted to their bedroom area and go to no others.

Bonus --> SuperBonus --> UltraBonus --> UristBonus (difficulty, easiest to hardest)

Bonuses:

Embark on part of a Evil Coniferous Forest Biome. Build a small hut and keep Urist McLarge near there with his pet war dog.
Make one of the other towers glass-topped, as dwarves like star-gazing.
Make the fourth tower Urist McNoble's place, with statues, a "viewing platform" and plenty of furniture. Must be kept locked so only they can enter.
Make a "Quidditch" field, a large, oval grassy area. Have your best dwarves combat the goblins "opposing team" with the two silver warhammers Beaters ready. Ensure they have their two adamantine warhammers Beaters.
Make/have a lake on your map.

SuperBonus: Have mermaids living in your lake.
SuperBonus: Only above-ground crops.
SuperBonus: If possible, be the worlds leading ceramics industry.
SuperBonus: Play on Deons and have a werewolf attack or two.
SuperBonus: Classes for each skill (Deons would really help for swimming and so on. Tomes as well.)

UltraBonus: Ghosts haunting your castle.
UltraBonus: Have all your dwarves go to watch the "Quidditch match".
UltraBonus: Castle must be SPOTLESSLY clean.
UltraBonus: Steel-clad dwarves statues that jump to life to defend your castle.
UltraBonus: Statues of dwarves all round the castle. Which are the real ones?

UristBonus: Have bathrooms with a chained troll in them.
UristBonus: Make a village a decent distance away. Have hidden tunnels going from the village to the castle.
UristBonus: No traps.
UristBonus: Have heated baths in communal bathrooms (if magma temp. is wrong, any !!Urist!! is NOT MY FAULT.)
UristBonus: Have Fortress Guard prefects patrol the corridors, led by the Captain of the Guard Head Boy.

This is a challenge for anyone who wants to try it.
(TRY IT!)
Forgotten Beasts seem to be akin to Toady playing Dwarven Roulette with your fortress, as they can be anything from harmless giant worms made of mud to necrotic-gas spewing nigh-invunerable iron hydras of doom.

vintermann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 07:30:20 am »

Sparta.

Build a totalitarian village where everybody (maybe except for bookkeeper and manager) are soldiers.

This one I've thought of too. The Spartans didn't just not have walls, they disapproved of walls on principle, since they meant it made people weak. They kept badgering Athens to come to their senses and tear down theirs, and they invaded and did it on one occasion.

I think it would be ridiculously hard to play without defenses at all like that. But, if you're Spartans, you can at least mod your children/babies to train in the army as well :) (and to be historically accurate, you should have a large underclass of "helot" dwarves, which your Spartan dwarves occasionally murder for fun.)

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 07:42:56 am »

Sparta.

This one I've thought of too. The Spartans didn't just not have walls, they disapproved of walls on principle, since they meant it made people weak. They kept badgering Athens to come to their senses and tear down theirs, and they invaded and did it on one occasion.

I think it would be ridiculously hard to play without defenses at all like that. But, if you're Spartans, you can at least mod your children/babies to train in the army as well :) (and to be historically accurate, you should have a large underclass of "helot" dwarves, which your Spartan dwarves occasionally murder for fun.)
or maybe dwarven sparta should drown all babies and migrants that are "incredibly weak" or "slow to heal" 
Also equip all soldiers with spears and shields and red cloaks

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2011, 07:47:35 am »

Look at you. Wanting to make a fort from LOTR and having it be a, can I even say it, a HUMAN fort?

http://www.rpgash.me.uk/lotro/moria_special_edition/moria_map.jpg

that's what you shall make
thats damn nice but its too big of an embark

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2011, 07:51:10 am »

Sparta.

I think you can allow yourself channel out the edges of the map and build drawbridge on it(around whole map) after each siege you can collect stuff (to save fps) but lower drawbridges as soon as possible again

"ridiculously hard to play without defences at all like that"
Have you seen this scene? it describes the attitude im looking for fantastically.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI6sARmxEuc

They are fuckin spartans after all!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 07:59:20 am by dwarfhoplite »

ignatzami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2011, 09:06:44 am »

I've been trying to find an embark in a haunted, relatively flat, desert.

I want to build the Emerald City!

An entire city, walls, rooms, towers, all made of green glass. Aboveground farming in the fields around the walls, a yellow (gold) brick road, the works. However, I'm having a tough time finding a flat desert.

Bonus: Mod in flying evil monkeys
DF without DT isn't DF, it's a keyboard-based exercise in masochism.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5