Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Beneficial Cave Adaptation?  (Read 2203 times)

Urist McArmok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Beneficial Cave Adaptation?
« on: June 02, 2011, 12:50:32 pm »

I've been wondering about cave adaptation lately. Dwarves naturally live underground, and yet they "adapt" to their native environment. The only effect of this is causing them to get sick when they leave their fort*. This just seems.. odd..

Why would they need to adapt to living underground when they presumably are meant to live there? Why would they even choose to live there if it's not beneficial? Perhaps cave-adapted dwarves could get some sort of bonus to living underground to make up for the downside?

* Come to think of it, why don't caravan dwarves get sick?

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Beneficial Cave Adaptation?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 03:04:46 pm »

I think light and (a lack of) vision because of that should be implemented first.
And the caravan guards do not adapt because they mostly live on the surface, your dwarves won't adapt either if they stay on the surface too long.

harborpirate

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels eat: job item lost or destroyed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 01:57:09 pm »

I think light and (a lack of) vision because of that should be implemented first.
And the caravan guards do not adapt because they mostly live on the surface, your dwarves won't adapt either if they stay on the surface too long.

Once lighting is implemented, dimly or unlit corridors could be an advantage for cave adapted dwarves, especially when fighting something used to sunlight. It also opens up the possibility of cave adapted creatures of the deep that could be confused, weakened, or frightened by sunlight or lamplight.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 06:42:51 pm »

That's still not really dealing with the issue presented here. Why do dwarves suffer from lack of exposure to the sunlight, when lack of sunlight is their native state?

I think it's just a game mechanic to balance out the beneficial sides of cave dwelling.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Moonshadow101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 01:58:29 am »

It's merely a matter of phrasing. Presumably, your original seven dwarves, as well as all of your migrants undertook a very long overland voyage to reach your fort. During that voyage, they become at least somewhat acclimated to sunlight. "Cave Adaptation" is really just the loss of "Surface Adaptation," a loss that occurs from switching from travel-mode to home-mode.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 11:56:00 am »

The existence of dwarven woodcutters, hunters and other outdoor professions suggests that whilst they may be more comfortable with making their homes underground, dwarves don't usually spend every waking moment down there.
What I would like to see, however, is the lighting arc to include simulating some of the effects of under- and over-exposure to sunlight.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 11:01:49 pm »

I think there should be benefits.

Maybe it should depend on civilization?
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold

Waparius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 08:55:52 am »

Once lighting is implemented, dimly or unlit corridors could be an advantage for cave adapted dwarves, especially when fighting something used to sunlight. It also opens up the possibility of cave adapted creatures of the deep that could be confused, weakened, or frightened by sunlight or lamplight.

Oooh. And of course, the ability to construct a system of mirrors in order to flood the cave with sunlight, or perhaps even set it on fire.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 02:24:10 pm »

I sense off-trackness approaching.

It makes sense that cave adapted things should have bonuses in the dark, because that's exactly what cave adaptation represents. It's in the name.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Dradym

• Bay Watcher
  • if its hard, overly complex, but fun, its a dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 04:02:08 pm »

cave adaptation is the dwarves natural state-therefore, no bonuses should be applied.  if anything there needs to a bigger minus for those dwarves on the surface

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2011, 12:37:17 pm »

It could apply a bonus in terms of invaders.
If a human siege force gets into your fortress, they should be at a disadvantage simply because they're not used to living in dimly lit, or unlit places.
On the other hand, your dwarves going outside to fight human invaders proposes a challenge: the humans are used to being outside, your dwarves are not.
This presents a game mechanic that can be used to ones advantage: Stay inside to fight invaders, or go out and confront them face to face?
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

ETV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2011, 04:23:55 pm »

They should be less susceptible to disease.
Hello.

Cuppsworth

• Bay Watcher
  • Cuppy Cuppsworth, Baron of Prague
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2011, 04:31:04 pm »

They should be less susceptible to disease.

More susceptible depending on the conditions of the fort.

I think that torches should be able to slow the effects of cave adaptation.
Cuppsworth has turned into the 'penny pincher'.

After the great trauma of having some one steal one penny from him he has invented a alter ego who stocks the night and fights crime in the city of Gotham Penny-Villa. With his faithful ward buck boy he strikes fear into the hearts of petty criminals everywhere.