Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Elven Necromancer Raise Trees?  (Read 4206 times)

astaldaran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Elven Necromancer Raise Trees?
« on: June 02, 2011, 07:16:18 am »

I don't think Toady is planning it but...if trees (or is it only certain trees?) are suppose to be the dead of the elves (which I've seen players reference as an explanation for why Elves don't like dwarves using trees) then maybe elven necromancers (give them a different title maybe; tree witch?) could raise fallen trees.

Now obviously I don't want the game keeping track of dead trees, AHH! but the game already knows what objects are made of wood and since he is also working on haunting furniture for haunted houses; why not combine them?

So you get sieged by the elves and they bring a Tree Witch. The gates are locked and you sit in for a long siege...but then the wooden  furniture starts to move!  Some make sounds and scare the dwarves, some start hoping around, and some actually attack your dwarves!!

Lock the bedroom wing; you must keep the army of beds in their place!!

I think this could be a lot of FUN!!

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
Re: Elven Necromancer Raise Trees?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 09:28:48 am »

I would enjoy this, however I don't believe it should effect wooden furniture, and I don't believe it should fall under the 'necromancer' category but there is a few nature spheres laying around. I believe that Toady is planning on adding similar bonuses to all spheres.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 09:51:45 am »

In the latest talk Toady said he had dark green (I think)  Ñ's reserved for natural monsters, which will include normal/generic monsters, nature related monsters and walking evil trees.
This doesn't mean it will be includes in the next update, but he has at least a color ready for it ^^

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 02:08:59 am »

Urist McBallista operator cancels fire ballista: interupted by animated ballista.
The animated Ballista launches the  Ballista Operator into the air.

Nice idea, but it shouldn't affect al furniture. Maybe only within a certain range of the necromancer.Every siege would become a tantrum spiral due to unhapinnes from not having beds,...

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 02:46:43 am »

When I first read your title, what I had in mind was having hostile elves come into the map and converting a number of on-map trees into powerful tree-ent creatures with similar stats to ogres (including building_destroyer), and when they die, their corpse turns back into an ordinary tree (or a sapling if tree-blocking becomes a problem).

Having furniture move around as if it were possessed would be pretty cool, but I'm not really sure how well it would actually work.

If animated trees were applied, then it would be pretty darn interesting to have entire squadrons and trap rooms designated just to keep an eye on the common underground tree farm.

Then the dwarven fear of trees would be justified
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 02:54:47 am by noodle0117 »

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 06:54:40 pm »

I'm joining the consensus here. Tree-moving, awesome (what about multitile trees?). Furniture moving, too much.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 10:39:02 pm »

When I first read your title, what I had in mind was having hostile elves come into the map and converting a number of on-map trees into powerful tree-ent creatures with similar stats to ogres (including building_destroyer), and when they die, their corpse turns back into an ordinary tree (or a sapling if tree-blocking becomes a problem).Then the dwarven fear of trees would be justified

Or just become a Log. Either way, that sounds awesome.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

thunktone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 08:23:16 am »

When I first read your title, what I had in mind was having hostile elves come into the map and converting a number of on-map trees into powerful tree-ent creatures with similar stats to ogres (including building_destroyer), and when they die, their corpse turns back into an ordinary tree (or a sapling if tree-blocking becomes a problem).

Maybe the elves would have to be really annoyed to do this. So you get some archers skulking around and if you fight them and keep chopping trees down then they lay siege with the trees as allies. This would add extra incentive to keep multiple wood burners running in heavily forested areas.

If animated trees were applied, then it would be pretty darn interesting to have entire squadrons and trap rooms designated just to keep an eye on the common underground tree farm.

Always thought of those as giant mushroom farms. Not sure the elves should have any power over them but underground animal people could be another matter. Leaf cutter ants feed leaves to fungi, so ant people could have some relationship to mushroom forests.
Whenever dwarves get into melee, their first reaction is to place their baby on their head, to allow free use of both hands, and thus any headshot instead strikes the child.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 09:05:38 pm »

I like the idea of a...woodromancer?
Maybe all kinds of materials can have X-o-mancy secrets. Like, rockomancy (!! Control of walls, floors, mecanism,s? Scary!), metalomancy (weapons, armor, dwarves wearing armor), gemomancy (gems-meh), plantomancy (trees, shrubs, giant fungi, grass-entangly, tree-ey, etc), etc...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

thunktone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 03:36:18 am »

Maybe all kinds of materials can have X-o-mancy secrets. Like, rockomancy (!! Control of walls, floors, mecanism,s? Scary!), metalomancy (weapons, armor, dwarves wearing armor), gemomancy (gems-meh), plantomancy (trees, shrubs, giant fungi, grass-entangly, tree-ey, etc), etc...
Dendromancer I think, but that would be for divining secrets or the future with trees. Then again Necromancy is divinination by communing with the spirits of the dead so it depends how picky you want to be. Necroturge and Dendroturge might be more accurate for raising armies and other kinds of magic.

There is a huge list of kinds of divination at https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Methods_of_divination and if we fudge mancy to mean magic as others do then many of these could be varieties of magic. I'm sure dwarfs could have fun with ailuromancy (cats). Lava comes straight from the greek so I think lavamancy is valid.

EDIT: For the ones you listed there is:
  • molybdomancy (molten metal)
  • lithomancy (gems or stones)
  • phytomancy (plants)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 03:40:12 am by thunktone »
Whenever dwarves get into melee, their first reaction is to place their baby on their head, to allow free use of both hands, and thus any headshot instead strikes the child.

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
AWESOME!
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2011, 10:34:05 pm »

Having furniture move around as if it were possessed would be pretty cool, but I'm not really sure how well it would actually work.

I LIKE THIS!!!!
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2011, 09:01:28 pm »

Instead of raising trees from the dead, I think it would be much more intimidating if their tree related magic worked more like this
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Agorp Stronden

• Bay Watcher
  • Dead by Dawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2011, 12:32:50 am »

I don't think Toady is planning it but...if trees (or is it only certain trees?) are suppose to be the dead of the elves (which I've seen players reference as an explanation for why Elves don't like dwarves using trees) then maybe elven necromancers (give them a different title maybe; tree witch?) could raise fallen trees.

I believe it would be better if the Elven Necromancer took the life of a tree and brings the Elf into being from the tree.

Perhaps, for a similar approach, Elves merely animate trees to fight for them.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 12:35:37 am by Agorp Stronden »

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2011, 01:30:32 am »

Druids should have spells like that.
My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2011, 02:45:50 am »

Furniture.... maybe yes, maybe no, but the couch already eats all coins, right?

Also, if 'fallen' trees, they could reanimate logs into wood golems.
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread
Pages: [1] 2