Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Weapon Materials?  (Read 1664 times)

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Weapon Materials?
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2011, 12:53:34 pm »

That thread missed picks, which are actually great weapons and easy to train.
Steel pick is a candidate for the best weapon overall along with adamantine axe and silver hammer/mace, and it's surely more versatile being equally fast&lethal against armoured or unarmoured opponents.

Mechatronic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2011, 01:57:35 pm »

Material does matter for blunt weapons though. The heavier the better.

I've also used a silver battle axe as a serviceable weapon by using its blunt attacks.
Well material doesn't seem to matter from that thread. Maces and hammers nearly always do medium wounds regardless of what they're made of, with the exception of adamantine. Not to say density doesn't have an effect, but it's presumably not the only thing that does.

Steel pick is a candidate for the best weapon overall along with adamantine axe and silver hammer/mace, and it's surely more versatile being equally fast&lethal against armoured or unarmoured opponents.
Picks aren't really any easier to train than any other weapon if you've got training optimised. I've had axedwarves train from novice to legendary in under a year. And while they are training up their weapon skill they're also training up the others.

Golcondio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2011, 02:05:31 pm »

I've also used a silver battle axe as a serviceable weapon by using its blunt attacks.
Well material doesn't seem to matter from that thread. Maces and hammers nearly always do medium wounds regardless of what they're made of, with the exception of adamantine. Not to say density doesn't have an effect, but it's presumably not the only thing that does.

Picks aren't really any easier to train than any other weapon if you've got training optimised. I've had axedwarves train from novice to legendary in under a year. And while they are training up their weapon skill they're also training up the others.

Moot point: I built a danger room full of militiadwarves armed with picks, and if i remember correctly their mining skill skyrocketed just as it would have with any other weapon. Not to mention that when off-duty I had armored legendary miners to send exploring the caves!
I didn't manage to get visited by a bronze colossus, but apart from that I am under the impression that my legendary Brain Miners (steel picks) were a notch above my addy axe wielders.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2011, 03:13:56 pm »

Playing with a wimpy elf (Okay, she's superelvenly strong, but whatever - most fortress champions would wipe the floor with her) nearly always deals red wounds with her masterwork silver war hammer, either shattering/chipping bones or destroying brains. Body shots are obviously less effective. And it isn't even her primary weapon - she's about halfway to legendary in hammers. I'll do some testing with inferior war hammers if I come across one, but I doubt they will be nearly as effective.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2011, 03:47:32 pm »

I think most metals have at least a decent density, so your bronze or whatever hammers still have useable damage, though not as good as proper silver.
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2011, 04:28:32 pm »

Under what conditions do people keep finding addy axes to be better than silver hammers?
I have tested it repeatedly (10 rounds with 2 teams of 10 each time), and even without armor the silver hammers do as well as or marginally better than the axes. Is the fact the the dwarfs are grandmaster/all skills shaping things, or what?

And yeah, I find picks are about equal to battle axes. (Again with grandmaster / all skills arena dwarves).

I think silver warhammers are the best weapon against anything that isn't made of stone or metal, as they are as good as addy axes against unarmored, and better against armor. Bronze colossi, however, can currently take an unlimited number of hits from hammers, and take only yellow wounds (which do nothing to them at all).
Soaplent green is goblins!
Pages: 1 [2]