Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shin Megami Tensei Mod, anyone?  (Read 1940 times)

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
Shin Megami Tensei Mod, anyone?
« on: June 02, 2011, 01:33:29 am »

I don't think it's a good idea, but it's lingering in my brain for far too long. Sure, civvies can adopt pets, but what about spells and angsty teens? (I'm not bashing the series, it's one of my favorites. :D)

For this to work, I'll need to find out how to make a frost and lightning breath, make all the demons tameable, somehow make structures of buildings
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
and others that I refrain to post.

I need your advice, whether this thing will actually work out, or it will flop.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Alem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shin Megami Tensei Mod, anyone?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 03:24:41 am »

This is one of my absolute favorite series as well. As far as a mod goes, I think you need to define what your goal is, like what part of the series you want to evoke. The narrower the brush, the easier it is to paint a specific image.

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 03:34:44 am »

If you do this, I'll be happier than a dwarf with a legendary bedroom and artifact furniture.

Making the demons tameable is as simple as putting [PET] or [PET_EXOTIC] in their raws.

Breath attacks are doable. The wiki has some limited information on that. Frost breath could just be a creature extract with a name like "bufudyne" and a low temperature. Lightning breath would be trickier. If you want it to shock the victim you could make it an extract with a paralysis syndrome attached.

As for buildings, you're stuck with the towns humans have.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 04:22:12 am »

As for the setting, I'd like to use Shin Megami Tensei IMAGINE (That online megaten game) as a setting, since it seems quite flexible, especially for DF. I mean, underground shelters (dwarven outposts), the world (it's ruined, works quite well with random generation) the cults (Law and Chaos conflicts.) as well as shinjuku babel (which at the moment, can't be accessed due to missing obsidian towers.)

Next, while Deon has his coldbreath template perfectly tailored for ice breathing creatures, I still have problems with deciding (or figuring out?) what to do with the effects of lightning. Should it be paralysis? Should it have a sudden drop of temperature (IDK how to do that.)? or both?

However, I already know what to do with spells in adventure mode, heheheh...

Alem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 05:10:23 am »

Paralysis seems to mirror the old Shock status ailment pretty well, and probably the best bet you're going to have to flavoring in the electrical type of damage. I did just have a minor nightmare imagining what I hear about the directionless dust attack elements for the -Zan category of spells if you use them. Damn you Matador... Anyway, this sounds very interesting! Is your primary focus going to be on the adventure side?

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 06:01:14 am »

Both, actually. I need to figure out first how to get the cults to hate each other without automatically making them hated by the rest of the world's entities. Since I'm going to use IMAGINE's setting, there will be a 'tower' civ, a pure demon civ, just to ensure that every once in a while, a group of demons decide to siege your base, a scavenger civ, for thieves because the world is already destroyed, and both cults (law and chaos.).

As of now, I'm deciding whether to make the cults also playable with exclusive pets (manipulating [GOOD] and [EVIL] pet tags), whether to include the cavern layers or omit them, and the tower civ (it must be neutral to both cults, must have less pet choices and benefits, in exchange for safer sieges), and all of the playable races should have reactions to make outdoor living advantageous and discourage digging into the caves for shelter (except the tower civ)

Once I'm finished researching the whole megaten series and get all of my plans in a neat row, I'll start making and see just how far I can go.