Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Forum Games and Roleplaying Brainstorming Thread  (Read 2714 times)

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
Re: Forum Games and Roleplaying Brainstorming Thread
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2011, 08:38:26 pm »

I have a few serious stories. Is that what we need?

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2011, 08:44:40 pm »

Well for starters, the GM response quotes should be about three to five times as long as they are now. I'm talking about this when it should be as long as this
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 08:49:52 pm by Heliman »

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2011, 08:47:33 pm »

Nice plug there.

All joking aside, I think we may have to do that. Hopefully I am not doing that thing with the short posts. If I make another adventure, it would be best to remember that.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2011, 08:48:02 pm »

Please, that game is dead.

Also, ART. does anyone know an artist on these forums? Everyone has a story to tell here, but we need an artist with a story to tell, like The Mad Engineer, Bless is soul.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 08:50:14 pm by Heliman »

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2011, 08:52:17 pm »

Again, not me.

Though we could ask those cool lads and lasses at the creative forums, or check out this mostly stick-figure based art thread but it does have some cool art.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2011, 08:54:48 pm »

I was hoping we could have less story games and more games that are like actual games.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2011, 08:56:23 pm »

You can have both.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2011, 09:10:43 pm »

Games are, quite frankly, hard to pull off. You only need one person to lose interest before the whole thing falls apart because other people aren't willing to read through the pages to replace. Suggestion games are much easier, because all of the players gravitate around one central story maker, who can generate plot twists, humor and the like.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2011, 09:15:46 pm »

Oh, forum games.

I prefer suggestion games. My only breakout forum game is on another forum entirely.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2011, 11:58:46 am »

wait, what? I hate the games that have bazillion numbers and stats and huge lists of stuff to keep track of. The YOU ARE X games are perfect: maximum story for minimal commitment, which is exactly what I'm looking for in an RP.

Maybe the You are X games should get their own subforum? The Forum Games section has grown enough to warrant another split, it's the most common singular type of game, and apparently different people read them.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2011, 07:59:06 pm »

Maybe the You are X games should get their own subforum? The Forum Games section has grown enough to warrant another split, it's the most common singular type of game, and apparently different people read them.
I think we'd be better off with a subforum specifically for structured games with set players, leaving the main FG&R section for the games that require no real commitment.

Before I "borrowed" evilcherry's Vestigi Imperium idea, I had been kicking around three ideas:
1) A game based off of Person of Wizardry, except with multiple players. It would have largely been a sandbox world, with only minimal plot hooks. Archmage players ruining the world were expected. I probably won't ever do this one, due to the general lack of a point.

2) A game with a strategic map similar to Vanigo's Dawn of a New world, focusing on the colonization of the New World during the Age of Sail, in a potentially near-steampunk setting with magic. Each colony site would largely be abstracted out, with the bulk of the gameplay coming from ownership of specific resources. Players would choose to be:
  A) Natives, starting out with more infrastructure and people, but fairly limited tech until they assimilated it somehow. The tech disadvantage wouldn't be crippling, and they would likely be similar to B) by mid-game.
  B) Colonists cutoff from their homes (likely either the loss of an empire, or some sort of portal spell).
  C) A colonial viceroy. They'd have additional random events to determine how much meddling their parent empire would do. They might get free resources one turn, only to be mandated to find a new supply of a rare resources to ship home the next. They would likely meddle with diplomacy, and impose sanctions and eventually invade if ignored or if the loaned troops suffer high casualties. I'm not sure how much fun it would be, but it might be an interesting experience.

3) A game remarkably similar in premise to Toaster's "The Outpost," strongly based off of old 'TBS' games such as this. Four players mostly-cooperatively colonizing a new land, sending back resources to requisition new citizens or manufactured goods. Steampunk with magic. And plot. Probably.

I might get around to one of them after Fallen Imperium ends, if there's any demand.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2011, 08:45:52 pm »

Nirur, I was kicking around a similar idea to #2/3 except the colonial area would be more like the rpg Space 1889 and the people would have to colonize Mars.

Space Linky!

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2011, 07:56:59 pm »

bumping this cuz this thread is pertinent

i'm fiddling around with an idea, will post about it when it is a bit more fleshed out

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2011, 08:03:05 pm »

1) A game based off of Person of Wizardry, except with multiple players. It would have largely been a sandbox world, with only minimal plot hooks. Archmage players ruining the world were expected. I probably won't ever do this one, due to the general lack of a point.

Cough cough hack hack cough I'm doing this one now cough hack wheeze.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2011, 08:09:09 pm »

note that i necro'd this. some replies to old posts may not be pertinent anymore
Pages: 1 [2] 3