Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Miscellaneous Logic  (Read 743 times)

Root Infinity

• Bay Watcher
  • Why?
    • View Profile
Miscellaneous Logic
« on: June 01, 2011, 09:20:53 pm »

This hopefully will be a thread where people can post ideas/tricks for dwarven logic (gates, timers, et cetera.) Please post whether any idea is tested or not as well, as I will probably try to add good ideas to the wiki (in Quickfort format if I get the time, but seeing as exams are fast approaching, it may be a while)

My idea: 16 to 1 multiplexer
16 inputs (mechanisms connected to gears labeled A-P)
4 toggles (mechanisms connected to gears labeled 1-4)
(W-Z are inverted (pre-toggled) inputs of the respective toggles)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This also can be used as a demultiplexer if one removes the "C" of running gears on the middle level.

This can be used for all sorts of things. Basicially what it does is takes 16 inputs and a (4-bit) selection of what input to use, gives out the value of that input.
Minimum power loss (selected input not on):29
Maximum power loss (when all inputs are on)=120+40+12+6+57=245
Note that this is reversible - but I wouldn't use it reversed, as the power usage (I think) tends to be higher - at least for the cases where inputs that arn't selected are on but the selected input isn't on, and the case where no inputs are on.

This is untested - use at your own risk!

Classic Medieval sexist views are awesome when they work out in your favor.
Noone likes my witty comments enough to sig them.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Miscellaneous Logic
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 11:21:11 pm »

Not many people are well-versed in the finer details of dwarfputers or regular electrical wiring.  Do explain for us laymen how this would be used and why we should care?

LilSassy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 01:21:34 am »

Not many people are well-versed in the finer details of dwarfputers or regular electrical wiring.  Do explain for us laymen how this would be used and why we should care?

its just badass and if your a layman you wont care

Root Infinity

• Bay Watcher
  • Why?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 05:02:33 pm »

This can be used in a couple of ways - the way I'm using it in my current fort is with the inputs connected to a bank of levers, and the selectors set up so that I only need to pull a couple of levers (I'm working on automating some of it based on pressure plates) and the traps are automagicially set up to the right way to deal with that particular invasion/FB/whatever. This way you don't have to hard-wire the connections.
Like this:
Code: [Select]
A \ FB
B / FB (Water Immune)
C \ ...
D \ ...
E / ...
F / ...
G / ...
H / ...
I / ...
J \ ...
K \ ...
L \ ...
M / ...
N / ...
O / ...
P / ...
^what the lever is connected to
  ^ \ = lever on, / = lever off
    ^invasion type
But with more columns of levers (one for each multiplexer - and each multiplexer connected to a particular trap (Water trap, magma trap, repeater for spikes, main gate, et cetera))
Classic Medieval sexist views are awesome when they work out in your favor.
Noone likes my witty comments enough to sig them.