Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So... now what?  (Read 1076 times)

maxs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
So... now what?
« on: June 01, 2011, 06:04:00 pm »

After many, many, MANY attempts I've finally got an adventurer who can hold his own. The only quests I receive now involve killing titans... I realize Dwarf Fortress doesn't have any end game, but in fortress mode at this point one can usually entertain themselves by building various mega projects... what do you guys do in adventure mode once you've built up a character?

Mcducks22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So... now what?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 06:22:01 pm »

Kill everything!

zair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 06:24:40 pm »

i had that happen to me except my quests were always to kill dragons that were like ten minutes of trekking real life time, and then giving a single supposedly difficult shot to the head to instakill the dragon. my suggeustion to you is to set a goal to kill all_____ wheather that be just a single civ, or a whole race. you will probably die somehow doing this but its better than traveling forever toanticlimactically kick a titan made of vomit to death. alternatively you could also retire your hero and make a fortress for him to explore. or you could retire him, make another great hero to retire in the same village and repeate till you have a super duper squad of gods.

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 09:55:46 pm »

Yea, I was sort of thinking the same thing after my first hero got to that point. (Don't feel bad if you died like 50 times before getting there. I think most people die something like 20-50 times before they know what they're doing.)

If you haven't gotten to dragons, hydras, and rocs yet then you have that to look forward to.

Try retiring, then creating a fortress where you immediately dig down to find the ultimate metal, make some nice stuff, and then dig around until you find some nasty monsters for your adventurer to kill. Then abandon the fort (if all of your dwarves don't just die rather suddenly). You can probably do all of this in 1 year if you're familiar with fortress mode.

Also try killing off a whole hamlet or town. If it's even possible it will take a while.

Also try some of the mods like genesis and civilization forge, though you'll have to generate a new world and new character for that....

tHe_silent_H

• Bay Watcher
  • Did you win?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 10:07:57 pm »

Kill everything!

This, try to change the age of the world into "The Age of Emptyness".
Did you know that if you write 3.14 on a piece of paper and hold it in a mirror, it will say pie? And if you divide 42 by 3.14... you get 13.37!

It is incredibly satisfying to kill a man with a butterfly.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 10:13:14 pm »

try to build up a empire in a attempt to kill every thing.
 then mod in play able civs so you could add more creatures to Kill off.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 11:07:17 pm »

I'm still sort of a newb to this new version, but I know back in 40d if you abandoned a (dwarf) fortress, every dwarf and animal not in a cage there would leave the site as a migrant group.

So want I did was conscript, equip and train EVERYONE in the fort and when they were good and ready, put them all on active duty and abandon the fortress.

So it basically created this dwarven army roaming the map. The legendaries and other soldiers in the migrant group were bad-ass and trying to fight the whole group was nigh- suicide and just fighting one of the legendaries was harder then killing a megabeast, they'd block all of your attacks and just smash you to pieces.

That would be the ultimate challenge, it was also the ultimate place to get companions.

Not sure about the newest version. I think some of the survivors remain at the fortress, but it seems like most of them magically die and every dwarf and animal dies as well.

So you might have to retire and train up a credible threat to your adventurer.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 12:10:46 am »

I'm still sort of a newb to this new version, but I know back in 40d if you abandoned a (dwarf) fortress, every dwarf and animal not in a cage there would leave the site as a migrant group.

So want I did was conscript, equip and train EVERYONE in the fort and when they were good and ready, put them all on active duty and abandon the fortress.

So it basically created this dwarven army roaming the map. The legendaries and other soldiers in the migrant group were bad-ass and trying to fight the whole group was nigh- suicide and just fighting one of the legendaries was harder then killing a megabeast, they'd block all of your attacks and just smash you to pieces.

That would be the ultimate challenge, it was also the ultimate place to get companions.

Not sure about the newest version. I think some of the survivors remain at the fortress, but it seems like most of them magically die and every dwarf and animal dies as well.

So you might have to retire and train up a credible threat to your adventurer.
you could using utilities make the fort retire accessible and keep the members on the site you could also retire and train up your adventurer also.
how to do this is all in my Sig link "Adv. Homes"
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 10:17:55 am »

one of my legendary heroes had like 11 followers that would not die, and whenever i accepted a quest to kill a megabeast, they would all just stand around hacking it to bits. So i decided to kill all humans and after i massacred two forts and a hamlet i got bored of killing defenseless humans and wandered out into the wild with my five remaining companions. I was ambushed about three times by dwarves, once at night, i had one guy left, who saved me from a minotaur. Eventually i was the only one left and i wandered into a cave and killed a dragon. I was then planning to retire again and try to make another legendary hero, but right before i made it to a non hostile human civ i was attacked in the night by boogeymen and died.
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 07:13:33 pm »

Go to hell!
Quote from: tahujdt
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.
Fallout: Equestria - Index of Stable Reports x Fallout: Equestria - Orange

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 08:57:47 pm »

After conquring HFS, I usually return my adventurer and his companions to the fire they came from. In other words, I push them all into a volcano.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 02:36:35 am »

try sacrificing them! pushing people into volcanoes, deep rivers/waterfalls, you name it!

Jacos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2011, 07:17:49 am »

Get all your skills up to the highest possible level.
Dwarven Science: We do what we must, because, we're bored.

Every few miles, [the dwarves] stop the cart.  One of the dwarfs (sic) gets off, digs a hole down below the dirt layers, licks the bedrock, and then they know exactly where they are.  It's called GPS: Geological Piquancy Sampling.