Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [Edit] I have caged my mayor. Now begins the Zoo of Nobles.  (Read 3329 times)

Kestrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Any ideas on how to accomplish this?  I've caged friendly traders before, somehow by accident.  I'm sure there's a way.  Perhaps if I can throw him in a tantrum while he's standing on a cage trap..

[6/5/11] Thanks to the tip on cave ins, my mayor is now on display in my central meeting hall.  Other nobles shall certainly follow.

Death is too good for them.  They must be humiliated in front of the entire Dwarven society!  Let the Zoo of Nobles begin!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 09:20:55 am by Kestrel »
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): I heard that I died.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): I died.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): It was inevitable.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): It was inevitable.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
Re: I want to cage my mayor.
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 03:11:11 pm »

Put him in a room full of cage traps.
Cause a cave-in at the edge of the room. The dust should knock him unconscious, triggering the traps.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Kestrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 03:15:30 pm »

Good thinking.  Is there a more reloadable method for this?  I'd like to have a room handy for specifically this.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 03:17:34 pm »

Collapse a constructed floor instead. It's quick to just rebuild it.

Also, why do you want your mayor caged?

Kestrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 03:19:07 pm »

So I can put him on display for my legendary blacksmith that he likes to throw in jail so often.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 03:23:29 pm »

GCS Webs are the ideal.  They cage everything except HFS.  Then you could knock him unconscious somehow.  Sleeping is unconscious, so assign him to a squad, put him in a room with only cages on the floor, and lock the door.  He'll pass out and get caught.  Cave-ins work too, but with more personal injury.  The issue is that he's likely to dehydrate in the cage, I don't think he qualifies for any "give water" tasks because he's not injured or a legal prisoner, but I could be wrong, they may water him like a pet.  If so, that's great.  If not, well, sounds like you don't mind if this guy dies.

Kestrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 03:25:55 pm »

The issue is that he's likely to dehydrate in the cage, I don't think he qualifies for any "give water" tasks because he's not injured or a legal prisoner, but I could be wrong, they may water him like a pet.  If so, that's great.  If not, well, sounds like you don't mind if this guy dies.
IIRC my caged trader died of dehydration, so you may well be on to something...

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 03:30:52 pm »

Well I know that dwarf who aren't doing anything will give water to dwarfs who are busy and thirsty even if they aren't a prisoner or injured dwarf. But I'm not certain about caged dwarfs. Traders die because they wouldn't receive water anyway as they are not part of your fortress.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 03:31:49 pm »

Traders are different.  Anything that comes from off the map doesn't need to eat, sleep, or drink.  Only your people do.  Traders, however, will go insane when kept from leaving, and then die of dehydration.  However, being "guests" and not "a dwarf" they don't qualify for medical care or feeding.  So, you can't really make a comparison there.  I just know that when I caught my first GCS, I was silk farming, and someone let the spider out of the farm by accident.  In the process, the stupid dwarf and the spider were both caged, as I had some security cages in place.  I built the cage, and later the dwarf died.  I don't know if this was from being caged, or if I had idle dwarves.  Feeding prisoners is low priority, so it's possible that I simply had no idle dwarves, and thus no one fed him.  Still, sounds like you need to murder your mayor.

Kestrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 03:39:02 pm »

Nah, murder is what I do to the bleeding miller who won't go to the hospital and won't stop cleaning himself with all my soap. Caging is what'll happen to silly mayors that want barrels made from aluminum.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 06:23:26 pm by Kestrel »

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 05:35:05 pm »

Caging is what'll happen to silly mayors that want barrels made from aluminum.
That's actually not a bad idea...

I think you can make barrels from aluminum, and aluminum is a very light material!

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 05:58:31 pm »

Caging is what'll happen to silly mayors that want barrels made from aluminum.
That's actually not a bad idea...

I think you can make barrels from aluminum, and aluminum is a very light material!

It is, though also super rare without modding, or has this changed?  I would get annoyed my mayor's constantly yelling about aluminum too. 
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2011, 06:13:29 pm »

It's also extremely expensive, same value as platinum.  Aluminum is much better used as statues for their value and ability to re-melt them to get a creation that you want.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2011, 06:17:19 pm »

Nah, murder is what I do to the bleeding miller who won't go the hospital and won't stop cleaning himself with all my soap.
Hmm I had a dwarf who was really slow at healing who had both arms fractured. He had no grasp but kept insisting trying to wash himself with a soap bar. Every now and then I'd have to forbid all the soap just so he'd get done with washing... and return to spamming "can't store owned item, too injured". Oh and without the soap he couldn't clean off the smudge of blood he wanted to remove so he'd always get clean self jobs.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2011, 06:22:40 pm »

That's when you burrow him in the corner.
Pages: [1] 2