Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 19

Author Topic: The Island (Nightfall, day 3!)  (Read 16958 times)

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Island (A new challenger appears on Day 2!)
« Reply #195 on: June 14, 2011, 07:18:33 pm »

Well, if the basalt is on the surface it is presumably a cap of sorts that does not extend underground at the same circumference. It would be difficult to gauge how far down it does go before it narrows, but it should, and if we dug into the soil right underneath the protrusion, whatever we store there would be very cool without having to worry about the damp, because the stone would help keep moisture out. I could be completely wrong, but wouldn't it be sweet if I was right and we had that sort of storage?

Provided there is a general support for the above, I'll volunteer to get digging. If there isn't support, I'll gather my trusty slinging gear and explore westwards.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 14, 2011, 11:24:49 pm »

Wait, wasn't it evening-to-night last turn? And night-to-morning this one?

I have been absolutely sucking at keeping track of time on the island. I deeply apologize. Time is going to be set to the night turn of day 2. The end of the turn will mark the morning. Also, sorry, guys, but I'm going to have to do this tomorrow. I am sick as hell and need to sleep for class in the morning. Tomorrow. I promise.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 14, 2011, 11:33:58 pm »

I'm just going by the Naval fiction I used to read. I know salting was how they kept meat, and salt seemed easiest. I'd completely overlooked Smoking, though. And the basalt refridgerator would be handy, too. I say we sort those out now, the more strings to our bow, the better.

I'll help with digging out the underground storeroom.

Haiku time!
Problem: Meat rotting
Solution: Smoking? Salting?
Refridgerator

I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 15, 2011, 03:52:38 am »

That could work if we found a cave or something.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 15, 2011, 06:22:08 am »

Sorry about my tardiness, shit got hectic for a little bit here.

"Bloody hell. Can anyone tell me what the fucking hell is going on? I've just woken up from a really strange dream . . ."

Kaseman will take a look at what we all have here, then aid with the digging type stuff in an attempt to distract himself from some uncomfortable realization. He'll ask anyone around about what's happened thus far, starting as far back as possible (the meeting).
Even the avatars expire eventually.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: June 15, 2011, 10:58:57 am »

We could also try to find clay somewhere to help build the smokery, but I do not really know much about clay. Perhaps looking for it during the night would be rather ineffiecent, though. I'll keep an eye out for clayish stuff during my trip in the morning.

Commence Restificationary routine. Explain to Strife everything I know about our situation, and ask if he was on the plane as well. Proceed with sleeping. Cultivate sweet dreams.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 11:00:44 am by scriver »
Love, scriver~

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 16, 2011, 04:15:35 am »

Derp around for a couple minutes, trying to remember what to do.
Then start digging.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 16, 2011, 01:19:17 pm »

Scriver: Talk to Strife, sleep.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Choobakka: Calculate food supplies.

Askot: Eat. Test braided cord for strength. Make more cords (13).

Darvi, Sonerohi, Burnt Pies, Strife : Dig(1!+2+14!+2=19).

Cache: 5 foot long braided cord, longbow (unstrung), 2 thin bone knives, 4 bone spearheads, 1 bone axehead, 5 bone needles, 25 bone arrowheads, 5 cans labeled "Sterno", 14 large branches, small rusty metal box [100 rusty nails], 10 logs, very old weatherworn military issue boots (no laces), rusty hatchet, bright orange waterproof backpack, sharp steel ka-bar knife, manual chainsaw, first aid kit, waterproof matches, LED Flashlight, rusty ka-bar knife, rusty spade, wooden spade, fist sized lump of magnetite, 30 basalt pebbles, 3 fist-sized pieces of basalt, firewood and tinder (3 days), 20 bone fishing lures/hooks (1 strung), 4 fishing lines, 6 bowstrings, 6 small half shells, 3 pieces of lobster shell, 2 lobster claws, drying deer hide, 6 large deer bones, 1 deer skull w/antlers, 25 small deer bones, 4 deer hooves, and 9 lengths of deer sinew.

Food: 5 MREs, a large handful of salmonberries, 1 live lobster, 68 lbs. of raw deer meat, 2 whole racks of raw deer ribs, raw deer liver, 2 raw deer kidneys, raw deer heart, 2 raw deer sweetbreads,  5 well done chunks of deer meat.

Health Effects:
Mood Effects:
Hunger Effects: Askot +0.3
The wind calms completely. The rain stops suddenly. It is about 45F. The sun is beginning to rise on day 3.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 16, 2011, 01:21:13 pm »

Spread berries out on a rock to let them dry.

Start roasting what raw meat there's still left.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 16, 2011, 01:58:56 pm »

prepare two bow strings to the length of the bow, string it with one of them and wrap the other around the bow staff as a quick backup. set off with the rusty knife and head to the basalt outcropping to gather some basalt to carve arrowheads. Look for some straight branches and stalks that can be used as arrows. keep an eye for yew saplings to use later.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 16, 2011, 03:59:18 pm »

Grab the bone arrowheads, axehead, and spearheads, and go with Askot for some arrow/tool shaft making.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 16, 2011, 04:57:28 pm »

Grab a chunk of meat and a few berries for breakfast. Then, take the fishing pole and some hooks and another line, and one of the bone knives and get moving towards the bay. Find a nice staff on the way to get in the right mood. Continue eastward for the rest of the turn. Besides exploring the landscape and water in general, I look for yew saplings, clay, or anything that could be of use.

I also realised we need to gather some more firewood soonish.
Love, scriver~

choobakka

• Bay Watcher
  • The same thing we do every night, Pinky...
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 16, 2011, 05:35:26 pm »

Make a weapon, preferably a sword-like object.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 16, 2011, 08:27:11 pm »

Give Darvi a hand with the cooking. Then, sleep.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Island (The sun is rising on day 3!)
« Reply #209 on: June 17, 2011, 12:48:33 pm »

Life and Times of Strife26

Well, there's no internet here, and I'm sure as hell not wasting my limited stock of paper, but I've got a feeling that keeping this blog up will be helpful to my sanity. At this point in time, it'll have to be a rambling monologue, as sharing my thoughts would not help my fellow bayers trust me.

I've come to the difficult conclusion that I'm facing scenario #12, with all the shit that that implies. I'm in a fucking forum game. Fuck fuck fuck. Worse, it's one that's indistinguishable from real life, as far as I can tell.

The plan for telling if I was in a realistic forum game was to look firstly for the initial incident. We've got that here. A Bay 12 meetup ends with everyone being gassed, put on a plane, shot down, and ending up here? There's easily enough holes for me to think that there's some fiat going on to force it. Firstly, how the hell did I end up at a meetup in civies? I should damn well be in Iraq right now. I don't remember anything about how I got there, and everything until I hit the water is pretty hazy. The whole time I was rolling with it, thinking that it was just a cool dream and one of the infantry types was about to wake me up. If this was really reality, the unit and army would be freaking out trying to find me. No way that I could of gotten to the states (assuming some serious amnesia worthy of my namesake) without them at least tracking me to the city where the meetup was. Additionally, the idea that our plane was hit by F16 gun fire is a bit wonky. Firstly that they opened with 20mm, second that any of us survived said fire. Then we've got the fact that I floated around in the ocean for a day (in BDU's, where the hell did they come from?!), washed ashore, and am perfectly fine now, when I should be seriously fatigued at the absolute best and dead from hypothermia induced shock most probable.

Despite all that, everything feels perfectly real right now. If I'm going to confirm my suspicions, I'll either need to find a way to mess up this game enough to break the fourth wall both ways, or (more likely) I'll need to find a way that the rules of this game would break reality in a predictable, observable, and repeatable way. Now, if I'm lucky enough, this'll be another Island Game, survivalism on an island, with real fourmites. MaxZero ran the last one, and there were some numbers behind it. Heck if I remember what they were though. Now, having Max actually show up on here would be an argument against it, while anything dealing with lasers (what *was* the deal with that in the last forum game? I shoulda asked. Damn Damn damn) would probably confirm my suspicions. On that note, additional people washing ashore, or people currently here stopping doing stuff or mysteriously vanishing in such a way that I don't freak out and look for them would be confirmationary notes as well.

Worst case is that I'm GMing this game using pure Roleplayingness, in which case I'm almost certainly fucked. I'm too badly imbalancing unless something happens to hurt me. Excessive ennui might do it as well, if I go with the active-inactive player GM strategy. On that note, I've got no way of knowing if I've got free will right now. I'm thinking sure, but a long-ass monologue like this might be the sort of thing that I'd do to inject Roleplaying into a mechanics based game. Worse, I've thought over how'd I react in a situation like this before, so even totally irrational actions by myself might be roleplaying from "real" me. As an aside, FUCK YOU, just in case "real" me is here right now. I'm going to have to be careful as well, as I've got a pronounced habit of concluding that I off myself at the end of games like this, which I'd like to avoid for the moment. Standard self-termination rules are going to have to apply and be enforced. Got it sub-conscious? I'm damn well able to help out here.

In the near term, I'll have to keep my belief about the non-reality of us to myself. I'm not sure how the others would react. However, I'm going to want to keep my eyes open for anything that'll prove said fictionallity, or that I can use to cheat the system and do better for our group.

Take a look at my clothes. What kind of rank, patches, or other stuff is on them? Are they some generic plain BDU's? Are they one of my sets from home? Did someone go through the trouble of sowing on my proper name, rank, and unit on an old-style uniform? Then go gather firewood.
Even the avatars expire eventually.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 19