Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Lead bolts  (Read 5164 times)

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Lead bolts
« on: June 01, 2011, 05:44:04 am »

Having just started out on a big ol' lump of galena, I'd really appreciate being able to use the lead for something military.  Obviously weapons and armour wouldn't be very practical, but it out to be possible to make lead bolts for crossbows?

I'm not after recreating bullets, just trying to fix a problem - lots of lead and nothing else!
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

tHe_silent_H

• Bay Watcher
  • Did you win?
    • View Profile
Re: Lead bolts
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 06:43:29 am »

just make them drink out of lead flasks. done(also lead flasks, heh)

Also, you can just mod them in
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 06:46:23 am by tHe_silent_H »
Did you know that if you write 3.14 on a piece of paper and hold it in a mirror, it will say pie? And if you divide 42 by 3.14... you get 13.37!

It is incredibly satisfying to kill a man with a butterfly.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 07:17:41 am »

-a big ol' lump of galena,
-lots of lead and nothing else!

I'm pretty sure Galena is also a silver ore and silver makes for good blunt weapons and bolts.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 09:05:00 am »

I'm pretty sure Galena is also a silver ore and silver makes for good blunt weapons and bolts.
When you smelt galena, you have a 20% chance of silver.  You always get lead.  Silver doesn't make good bolts because they're classed as edge weapons.  It makes great maces and hammers.

Out of interest, how hard would it be to mod in lead bolts?
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 09:20:26 am »

When you smelt galena, you have a 20% chance of silver.  You always get lead.  Silver doesn't make good bolts because they're classed as edge weapons.  It makes great maces and hammers.

Out of interest, how hard would it be to mod in lead bolts?
Very easy. Just give lead the [ITEMS_AMMO] tag in inorganic_metal.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 10:30:09 am »

Galena is 50% silver AFAIK...
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 11:23:56 am »

Galena is indeed 50% silver. Tetrahedrite is 20% silver.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 11:41:00 am »

I think the edge weapon classification doesn't make much difference for projectiles; silver bolts always seemed among the better ones in my experience. :/
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 06:49:06 am »

Did a bit of testing in the arena.  Lead bolts are more of a subdual weapon than silver - silver bolts still cause a lot of cutting damage wherea lead bots do a lot of bruising and bonechipping.  In a fight between unarmoured dwarves, the leads beat the silvers very slightly, mainly due to collapsing due to pain and then being finished off very quickly.

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 10:46:18 am »

Silver is a good bolt material, due to a big mass smashing into the target. I dunno if lead bolts were used, I do know that the romans used lead-tipped javelins (pila). They were designed to damage shields, yet I think those could be responsible for casualties all by themselves against lighter armored enemies.
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

Mckee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 02:48:03 pm »

I may be incorrect, so if you know more than I do, I apologise, but I was lead (unintentional pun?) to believe that one reason for using the lead was because the softer metal and the design of the javalin made throwing them back difficult, because after throwing the heads were broken or bent. Not to say lead wouldnt be useful as a weapon (since it was clearly also effective) but perhaps when weapon wear is implemented, the softer nature of lead projectiles would make them somewhat less reusable than other metals.
'What good is a lesson if your idiot is too dead to learn from it?'

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2011, 03:11:58 pm »

Also correct. They stuck in the shields and bent there - and there was no time to remove them as a angry bunch of romans was usually following close behind. Quite good stuff.

I do not however think that retrieving and reusing the pila was a big problem for the organized romans, it just couldn't be done in the heat of the battle. Everything about a roman legion was planned carefully, so I'm sure there were ways to ensure a steady supply of javelins.
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

Korgus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2011, 03:26:26 pm »

Lead bolts probably wouldn't even go through bare skin. Worst they could do is bruise you.
F*** your pointy ears I've my dwarves inside.
And f*** your wooden swords I've my dwarves inside.
F*** your bins of cloth I've my dwarves inside.
If you're looking to be killed I've my dwarves outside.

Os Q

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2011, 04:31:43 pm »

Lead will be useful if and when slings are implemented. Some slingers in the ancient times used lead bullets which might be more effective than just small stones. Some of them also used ceramic bullets IIRC
..at least put some spikes in your clubs for goodness sake!

Dwarftosser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2011, 10:27:42 pm »

Lead bolts probably wouldn't even go through bare skin. Worst they could do is bruise you.

and crack your bones.

....Great, now I have Eddie Izzard stuck in my head.  ???
Pages: [1] 2