Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What have I done?  (Read 1503 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
What have I done?
« on: May 31, 2011, 08:48:25 pm »

...Er, I think that came out wrong.

I modded in (or tried to) giant badger people. However, whenever I try to load the arena, DF crashes. There isn't even anything useful in the errorlog!  >:(

Raws:
Code: [Select]
[CREATURE:BADGER MAN, GIANT]
[COPY_TAGS_FROM:BADGER MAN]
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:GIANT]
[CV_REMOVE_TAG:CHANGE_BODY_SIZE_PERC]
[APPLY_CURRENT_CREATURE_VARIATION]
[GO_TO_END]
[CHANGE_BODY_SIZE_PERC:2040]
[GO_TO_START]
[NAME:giant badger man:giant badger men:giant badger man]
[GENERAL_CHILD_NAME:giant badger man cub:giant badger man cubs]
[DESCRIPTION:A huge monster the shape of a badger man.  It is ferocious in combat.]
[POPULATION_NUMBER:15:25]
[CLUSTER_NUMBER:5:11]
[CREATURE_TILE:'B']
[COLOR:7:0:0]
[PET_EXOTIC]
[PETVALUE:500]
[PET]
[GO_TO_END]
[SELECT_CASTE:MALE]
[CASTE_NAME:giant badger man:giant badger men:giant badger man]
[SELECT_CASTE:FEMALE]
[CASTE_NAME:giant badger woman:giant badger women:giant badger woman]
[PREFSTRING:great size]
[PREFSTRING:underground communities]
[PREFSTRING:striped faces]
[PREFSTRING:terrifying weaponry]
Most of this was just copied from giant badgers.
-----
I need help! Please?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
Re: What have I done?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 09:46:04 pm »

I modded in (or tried to) giant badger people. However, whenever I try to load the arena, DF crashes. There isn't even anything useful in the errorlog!  >:(

Raws:
[GO_TO_END]
[GO_TO_START]
[GENERAL_CHILD_NAME:giant badger man cub:giant badger man cubs]
[DESCRIPTION:A huge monster the shape of a badger man.  It is ferocious in combat.]
[POPULATION_NUMBER:15:25]
[CLUSTER_NUMBER:5:11]
[CREATURE_TILE:'B']
[COLOR:7:0:0]
[PET_EXOTIC]
[PETVALUE:500]
[PET]
[GO_TO_END]
[PREFSTRING:great size]
[PREFSTRING:underground communities]
[PREFSTRING:striped faces]
[PREFSTRING:terrifying weaponry]
Most of this was just copied from giant badgers.
-----
I need help! Please?

I'm not too sure of how COPY_TAGS works, but you have an error.

Replace [CREATURE:BADGER MAN, GIANT] with [CREATURE:BADGER_MAN_GIANT], that should solve one of your problems.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 10:14:06 pm »

I don't know of GO_TO_START or why it would be there.  Same with GO_TO_END.  Considering that there's no nesting or break statements, if that were a loop, it'd be an instant crash because one of the first tags in it sends it to the start of the file.

If you're using it as it appears in a file I don't know of, carry on.
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 06:28:25 am »

Replace [CREATURE:BADGER MAN, GIANT] with [CREATURE:BADGER_MAN_GIANT], that should solve one of your problems.
Actually, badger men are [CREATURE:BADGER MAN] and giant badgers are [BAGDER, GIANT]. So I doubt that that's the problem.

I don't know of GO_TO_START or why it would be there.  Same with GO_TO_END.  Considering that there's no nesting or break statements, if that were a loop, it'd be an instant crash because one of the first tags in it sends it to the start of the file.

If you're using it as it appears in a file I don't know of, carry on.
Yeah, that's just like the GB raws.

:'( :'( :'(
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 06:36:43 am »

Actually, badger men are [CREATURE:BADGER MAN] and giant badgers are [BAGDER, GIANT]. So I doubt that that's the problem.

I attempted to scrounge up the BAT_MAN creature, and I have noticed a lack of body tokens. Maybe this will fix it?
[GO_TO_TAG:BODY]
[CV_REMOVE_TAG:BODY]
[BODY:HUMANOID_FLIER:2EYES:2EARS:NOSE:2LUNGS:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:HUMANOID_JOINTS:THROAT:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN:SKULL:4FINGERS:4TOES:MOUTH:EYELIDS:CHEEKS:GENERIC_TEETH_WITH_LARGE_EYE_TEETH:RIBCAGE]

Of course, modify those. We don't want gigantic flying winged humanoid badgers now, do we?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 06:40:49 am by New Guy »
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 07:56:14 am »

Umm... Don't Remove BODY? That seems just wrong. Do not use creature variations if you're having trouble, just edit a copy of the original creature into your new thing. (go_to_end is useful for select tissue, select material, select caste statements)
Also, I think [CV_REMOVE_TAG:CHANGE_BODY_SIZE_PERC] attempts to remove a tag from the creature, not from the CV template.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 07:58:33 am by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Raptor_a22

• Bay Watcher
  • [DERP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 08:18:57 am »

I'd remove the spaces.
In my own experience in coding various programs and files, spaces create problems. Use underscores instead.

Otherwise, check if all the types match up. If you've copied it from the badger entry, it might still be an animal, rather than a humanoid.
Raptor's CivMod, Mithril and Dark Elves and Alchemy, oh my!
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where severe necrosis leading to exploding limbs is "awesome."

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 05:12:09 pm »

I'd remove the spaces.
In my own experience in coding various programs and files, spaces create problems. Use underscores instead.

Otherwise, check if all the types match up. If you've copied it from the badger entry, it might still be an animal, rather than a humanoid.
Copied from the badger man.

I attempted to scrounge up the BAT_MAN creature, and I have noticed a lack of body tokens. Maybe this will fix it?
[GO_TO_TAG:BODY]
[CV_REMOVE_TAG:BODY]
[BODY:HUMANOID_FLIER:2EYES:2EARS:NOSE:2LUNGS:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:HUMANOID_JOINTS:THROAT:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN:SKULL:4FINGERS:4TOES:MOUTH:EYELIDS:CHEEKS:GENERIC_TEETH_WITH_LARGE_EYE_TEETH:RIBCAGE]

Of course, modify those. We don't want gigantic flying winged humanoid badgers now, do we?

Of course, bat men have a different body shape than badger/rat/lizard/etc men.
Also, you forgot "giant."

Umm... Don't Remove BODY? That seems just wrong. Do not use creature variations if you're having trouble, just edit a copy of the original creature into your new thing. (go_to_end is useful for select tissue, select material, select caste statements)
Also, I think [CV_REMOVE_TAG:CHANGE_BODY_SIZE_PERC] attempts to remove a tag from the creature, not from the CV template.

Then, A. Why is it "CV_REMOVE_TAG", B. Why is it CHANGE_BODY_SIZE_PERC, a variation tag, and C. Why does it matter? Giant badgers have that tag.

I'd remove the spaces.

So do references to nonexistent files or creatures or whatnot.
Sig

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 07:50:12 pm »

Erm...Anyone want to help?
Sig

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2011, 08:53:11 pm »

Maye you're biting off too much with one mod.

Try starting again from first principles here. Make an exact copy of Badger Man raws, call it giant badger man, and load in aena. Try this rather than you're own variation of Badger Man (vary it from Badger directly, as Badger Man and Giant Badger do). Badger Man is already a CV of Badger, nesting a CV in a CV sounds like too much can go wrong.

Once you have Badger Man copy working, THEN modify that, one tag at a time (taking inspiration from Giant Badger). Always keep backup of last working version.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 08:54:45 pm by Reelyanoob »

Eagle0600

• Bay Watcher
  • Highly Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 01:00:24 am »

Everyone wanted to help, but you ignored their advice entirely.

For myself, I wouldn't be looking at your new raw entry without making sure that it's the problem. Remove it and see what happens. Second, I would definitely remove those spaces. You say they definitely don't cause the problem, and you're probably right, but you didn't even try to change it. I'm going to try to make giant badger men on my end and change things one at a time until I find out what breaks it.

edit:
On a hunch, I copied your creature into the game without modifications, and it didn't crash when I entered the arena. However, it displayed with the name "nothing" in the creature list and crashed when I tried to spawn it.

Due to this, I have determined that there are, in fact, two problems, not one. One is with your creature, the other is not, but probably has something to do with the raw file you put it in. Can I please see the entire text content for the file, as well as it's file-name?

edit2:
Stick this in the raw file AFTER badger men (I would put it after giant badgers too, for neatness).
[DESCRIPTION:A huge humanoid with the head and stripes of a badger.]
[GO_TO_START]
[GO_TO_END]

Tested and working, as well as kicking ass. One thing to note is that the giant template makes things twice the size, but giant badgers are twenty times the size of a normal badger, thanks to this:
   [APPLY_CURRENT_CREATURE_VARIATION] <- this line isn't important to consider right now, the others are
   [GO_TO_END]

The giant badger men I've given you are twice the size of badger men, which are already much larger than badgers. Done some testing, and they'll still kick a normal badger man's ass any day of the week. Good day sir, and may you listen to other people when they give you advice.

All that being said, however, I figured out what the "nothing" problem was and it had to do with the fact that I had my definition in a different file, and it came alphabetically before the creature_temperate that you find the badger-men in. It has to come after, so I put it in the same file to be sure. After testing your own version after fixing my problem, it turns out that your raw definition has nothing wrong with it (except that it's a horrible mess and about 10x the size I would make it). As I said initially, "For myself, I wouldn't be looking at your new raw entry without making sure that it's the problem."
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 02:10:33 am by Eagle0600 »
GENERATION 21:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 02:43:06 am »

It sure did. Thought this was another one of those 'I modded in a **insert horrible creature here**' thread.

And uh, sorry I got nothing to contribute.

Eagle0600

• Bay Watcher
  • Highly Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2011, 04:51:10 am »

For those who didn't read, the tl;dr of my post up there is that his definition is not the problem, though it may be related. His definition works in my game.

That said, it's clunky, overly-large, and 10x the size I would make it.
GENERATION 21:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2011, 10:05:36 am »

WELL_ITS_NOT_HARD_REALLY
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2011, 12:41:11 pm »

Isn't it obvious? You made them so badass that it killed the game. Either that or the game realized it would die and shut down before the super badgers could do their damage.
Pages: [1] 2