Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Men of War  (Read 5721 times)

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Men of War
« on: May 31, 2011, 07:48:54 pm »

Men of War is a game based around WWII following the paths of various groups of soldiers from several of the nations involved, namely the USA, Russia and Germany.

MoW is usually about small-squad tactics, but sometimes you get control of armored vehicles, artillery pieces and even tanks or boats. Sometimes you get control of an entire defensive force. Each type of soldier has his own weapon proficiencies, for example, the Riflemen have moderate rifle skill. Some units have multiple proficiencies, like the US Rangers. Some units get special gear or bonuses over regular troops. For example, American Ranger and Assault Infantry machinegunners can run at the speed of a normal soldier, but normal machinegunners run painfully slow. All Rangers and Assault Infantry have more stamina, to create a model of more elite soldiers.

Where you hit an armored vehicle really matters, what time of shell you use matters too. You MIGHT be able to get away with a high-caliber HE round against a Light Tank or Armored Car, but anything else it will be useless unless you hit the engine. You can order units to attack certain parts, too. For example, an AT Rifleman is never going to kill a Tiger tank, but you can order him to fire at the tracks to break them and stop it dead in it's tracks (get it, tracks) which will allow you to flank it with a tank actually capable of destroying it. Most tanks have these parts: left track, right track, hull, engine, turret, gun, entire tank. The only exceptions are wheeled vehicles and self-propelled guns (which in this game is pretty much a fancy term for tank destroyers), which lack the turret part and the guns are connected directly to the hull. Infantry are capable of destroying tanks, too. You have mines, AT grenades, various rocket-based weaponry and AT rifles.

This game has a pretty good cover system, too. You can use anything for cover, tank wrecks, buildings, sandbags, straw bales, impact craters, anything. Whether or not some of them will actually stop bullets is debatable.

I could probably write another 3 paragraphs on this game but I'll just leave you to play the game and find out/google stuff. Oh, this game has lots of mods, too. Google them.

Pics:

FREE TIPS FROM ME
•Unlike in Faces of War, your Single Player soldiers are not Iron Men. Don't expect to run past 3 Heavy MGs and 20 SMG soldiers and expect to make it.
•MG Beats soldier. Tank beats MG. AT gun beats tank. Infantry beats AT gun. Artillery don't beat anything or get beaten by anything, since whether or not the target is moving is what determines who beats who.
•City streets are deathtraps for tanks. Sweep the buildings or, better, bombard it with calliope rockets, nebelwerfer rockets, howitzer shells or anything big and explosive. Flatten that city.
•The Tiger I and II, Pershing and other large, heavy tanks move slow and their turrets turn slow. They are really susceptible to infantry with AT grenades so make sure somebody is covering your rear when you move through an open area or, if you need to, city streets.
•If you need to kill somebody with a grenade, try AT ones. They, unlike AP grenades, explode on impact. Infantry will dive for cover or even throw grenades back if they can.
•Rifles are medium to long range weapons, SMG's are for short to medium range, MG's are probably the same.
•Never cross open fields with infantry. Apart from being great places to mine, they are amazing ambush spots. Don't say I didn't warn you when a tank comes crashing out of the buildings or the trees or a squad of soldiers suddenly pops out of the grass and fills you with holes.
•If you missed it, double-clicking with a unit selected makes infantry run (which drains stamina) and vehicles floor it (which uses more gas than if they moved the same distance normally and is a bit louder).

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Men of War
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 07:56:07 pm »

This looks awesome. Does it have a website?

Oh, and [World of Tanks Fan]the tank in the first picture is either a A-20 or T-34[/World of Tanks Fan]

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 07:58:38 pm »

Unfortunately Rex, that is a BT-7. Note the cylindrical turret.

Men of War: Assault Squad improves the game, a lot. AT Grenades are no longer effective against infantry (you have to be really close to throw it), you have more unit variety, 5 nations to play, along with 8 player coop for each faction. I would get it over Men of War.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 08:00:57 pm »

On another note, Molotov Cocktails can destroy some tanks. I noticed it when a bunch of AI Russian soldiers started throwing molotovs at a rampaging light tank, I was thinking "what the hell is up with these tards?"

Then the caught on fire.

Then it exploded.

Awesome stuff.

MoW site:
http://www.menofwargame.com/

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 08:15:06 pm »

yeah there's already an assault squad thread, and assault squad is much much better.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 08:46:03 pm »

Imma buy Assault Squad tomorrow.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 09:04:17 pm »

This game is a Gem among games, in my opinion. I just love it.

I thought there was already a thread for this game, though?
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 07:06:40 am »

This one has nice pics in the first post though
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 07:11:04 am »

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 11:12:13 am »

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 11:12:58 am »

This game is so good, that it can be forgiven if someone makes a new thread about it.

My favourite RTS no doubt, one that managed to find the balance between the importance of every individual soldier, while retaining their dispensability.

It is also one of the hardest i played. winning the 2nd mission (with the loading train) was a very satisfying acomplishment which i could only achieve by fixing and mounting enemy tanks and gradually retreating to choke points.

The game creates non scripted events and stories of individual bravery (Still remember one soldier who single handedly took out 3 tanks before dying) and on the other hand makes strategy the most important aspect of almost any level.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 11:25:13 am »

Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2011, 11:26:30 am »

I can't beat the first USA mission. With my current setup, enemy soldiers can get in the sides. My AA gun always manages to blow up, too. I'm just going to restart, go the loud way to the armory and kill everything, then shift a few vehicles, block some entrances and arm my guys before I raise the flag.

DarkerDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2011, 03:30:09 pm »

I can't beat the first USA mission. With my current setup, enemy soldiers can get in the sides. My AA gun always manages to blow up, too. I'm just going to restart, go the loud way to the armory and kill everything, then shift a few vehicles, block some entrances and arm my guys before I raise the flag.

Was the first US mission in the original Men of War the stealth mission? If so, I ended up beating it by slowly infiltrating my way away from the German base, killing guards with knives and hiding the bodies as I went along until all my men were in a little walled off backyard. From that backyard, we unleashed hell. Get the Germans to sound the alarm, they will mobilize and come after you. Kill them with looted weapons as they come charging in through the narrow passages leading into the backyard. Use looted AT grenades to take out the armored cars and half tracks.

If you pick the right backyard compound to hide out in, you can actually take out a few half tracks as they come in from off the map to reinforce the German base. Once you've killed and destroyed all the free-roaming German troops, you can make your way to the tower to meet up with the French guy. He will then give you access to the resistance forces which will make it much easier to take the German base and defend it from the coming counter attacks. Once you've cleared out the German base, be sure to loot as much equipment as you can carry.

Use the mines you get from the supply crates to create a perimeter around the captured German base. You might think it makes more sense to mine the narrow streets, but that will allow the counter-attacking German armor to become immobilized pill boxes from which you yourself will have to send your men up the narrow streets to deal with. Instead, if you mine the open streets around the German base, you can use the base's walls as cover to finish off immobilized tanks with AT grenades.

I would recommend Men of War: Assault Squad if you intend to play multiplayer at all. It's a lot more balanced and co-operative skirmish missions means co-op isn't a one time experience.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2011, 04:23:03 pm »

Always drive tanks THROUGH building and never BETWEEN them. Nobody ever puts AT mines indoors and you get to run over everything waiting to ambush you.

German halftracks are very vulnerable to being toppled by ramming their sides. This kills everybody except the driver.

The Browning M2 can be dismounted from jeeps and wielded by infantry(not sure if this applies to MP). It makes for a very good DC weapon because of it's high penetration and armor piercing.

Never underestimate flamethrowers. They overheat tank engines, force the crews to eject and probably make them explode. Hide them behind walls instead of bushes though, they kill themselves otherwise.

Artillery is best fired from walled courtyards right behind the front line, not from your base. World of Tanks this ain't. In long matches where there is a lack of walls, a tank wreck graveyard is also acceptable. Be mindful of what killed the tanks though.

All of this is based on Vanilla, not assquad.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5