Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Men of War  (Read 5705 times)

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
Re: Men of War
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2011, 06:49:12 am »

Is it possible in the Assault Squad to play multiplayer maps against AI?
???
Meaning playing normal skirmish games with multiplayer maps against AI, instead just those missions with some special objectives that are under skirmish in the menu.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2011, 03:35:21 pm »

So, again, you can detonate explosives with mines?

DarkerDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2011, 03:52:55 pm »

So, again, you can detonate explosives with mines?

Any explosive can detonate other explosives. I remember seeing a video where a guy took a scout, loaded him up with 200mm HE rounds from a disabled Sturmtiger, then had him sneak behind enemy lines to destroy a Pershing and a couple of support vehicles in one go.

Actually, I just found the video again, so you can see for yourself:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u1_OkiWDM0

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2011, 04:00:17 pm »

This looks awesome. Does it have a website?

Oh, and [World of Tanks Fan]the tank in the first picture is either a A-20 or T-34[/World of Tanks Fan]

And the tank in the second photo looks like Pzfkw III with the turret upgrade.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2011, 06:09:12 pm »

Is Assault Squad a stand - alone expansion, or do I need the original game? Can't find solid info on this.  ???

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2011, 06:13:16 pm »

Is Assault Squad a stand - alone expansion, or do I need the original game? Can't find solid info on this.  ???

Standalone

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2011, 08:11:38 pm »

Thanks Vherid! Deffo gonna buy that then.

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2011, 11:13:33 am »

How much changes there are to the actual gameplay from original MoW to Assault Squad (graphics don't matter). I was looking for some custom missions and noticed that there are way less of them to AS than original. So I was thinking getting the original as well, but I was wondering if the gameplay is somehow worse in it than in AS.

Also the single player missions are way too big/long for my taste, and I was wondering if anyone has found some smaller custom maps.

EDIT: For anyone interested, I just found dynamic campaign generator: http://www.digitalmindsoft.eu/forums/viewtopic.php?f=153&t=9460
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 12:00:36 pm by anzki4 »

DarkerDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2011, 05:26:43 pm »

How much changes there are to the actual gameplay from original MoW to Assault Squad (graphics don't matter). I was looking for some custom missions and noticed that there are way less of them to AS than original. So I was thinking getting the original as well, but I was wondering if the gameplay is somehow worse in it than in AS.

Also the single player missions are way too big/long for my taste, and I was wondering if anyone has found some smaller custom maps.

EDIT: For anyone interested, I just found dynamic campaign generator: http://www.digitalmindsoft.eu/forums/viewtopic.php?f=153&t=9460

The gameplay is pretty much the same, the differences between the two games are basically the types of missions available to play, and better multiplayer balancing (I think there's a slight change in the interface too). The original Men of War has missions that are a lot more varied, as in, one mission plays out like an actual full-scale battle with you in direct control of a division's assets. While other missions have you playing a small group of commandos looking to infiltrate enemy lines or destroy certain objectives. Assault Squad has one type of singleplayer mission available - Skirmish. That amounts to every mission being a full-scale battle with numerous enemy forces.

Although the Skirmish missions in Assault Squad are loads of fun, you're missing out on some quality missions in the original Men of War. Like being part of a Russian human wave attack against heavily defended German positions, and trying to rally the survivors to actually clear out the fortifications, one machine gun nest at a time. Or having a small team of commandos navigate around a small island filled with Germans, silencing sentries with throwing knives and hiding their bodies from patrols in an attempt to sneak into a submarine facility. Good times.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2011, 06:05:06 pm »

I prefer Assault Squad to what I've seen of MoW's multiplayer, mostly because I've been looking for a more realistic replacement to Company of Heroes. Combat provides this with its excellent point-based scoring. I've also fiddled with the map editor and found it quite flexible, although I'd really like to figure it out completely.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2011, 08:55:07 pm »

Wow, i just installed Men of War and this has to be the WORST voice acting EVAR! lol.

I got nothing

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2011, 08:56:24 pm »

That's what makes the game fun, in a way. You have all of this relatively realistic war fighting going on, while all of your dudes, and the enemy dudes are all saying weird, horrible lines. It's rather funny.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2011, 09:21:20 pm »

for just a line, my russian guys slipped into a german-ish accent.

Also, this game is kinda hard? I get stomped in the second fight where I'm driving a tank. I guess i need to learn how to play it.
I got nothing

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2011, 11:41:22 pm »

Oh god, all of the MoW games + Faces of War had horrible voice acting and syncing with the text. Absolutely terrible.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2011, 01:32:11 am »

It is best to choose an army that doesn't speak your native language.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5