Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: when are artifacts decided  (Read 1199 times)

flieroflight

• Bay Watcher
  • Worship the nightmare
    • View Profile
when are artifacts decided
« on: May 31, 2011, 01:35:31 pm »

waht i was wondering is when an artifact is specified as to what it is- limonite mug, platium mae, etc.
doe this occur when the dwarf is mooded, when the shop is claimed, when 1st item gathered, when he starts work or right at the end?
Bay12 doesn't have moral event horizons, it has goals.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
Re: when are artifacts decided
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 01:41:45 pm »

The item that is made is decided right at the end.
So if your armorer gets a strange mood, you can save scum and repeat the process again and again till you get what you want.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 02:01:03 pm »

The exact artifact type is decided at the end indeed, though its name, price and base material is decided earlier. Base material is the thing crazy dwarf got first.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 03:55:06 pm »

So if your armorer gets a strange mood, you can save scum and repeat the process again and again till you get what you want.

Urist? Pull the noble-with-a-mandate-lever.

*Ka-Chunk*

Korva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 04:00:48 pm »

The item type is normally decided upon completion unless the creator has a preference. I haven't done any "extensive testing" beyond a little savescumming, but apparently such a preference either always results in an item of that type, or at least makes it vastly more likely. That's why check preferences during embark preparation. You like battle axes -- you'll be my weaponsmith. You like tables -- you'll be my mason or blacksmith. You like low boots? Piss off, a single artifact boot is annoying. I'll find another armorer.

Mimidormi

• Bay Watcher
  • Magnetite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 04:42:10 pm »

Sometimes i've seen them choose their favorite metal over the nearest one, and other times i've seen them craft their favorite item, no matter what. It looks like the name is set the instant they get moody, and the item type at the end, unless they're picky.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 04:53:14 pm »

Urist? Pull the noble-with-a-mandate-lever.

*Ka-Chunk*

why is the air rushing past me? and why is the ground magma rapidly approaching?
*ahem*

And yes, to confirm what's been said, an artifact name is decided upon being struck with the mood, as evidenced by possessions muttering the artifact's name. All materials seem to be decided then as well, although it could be determined upon workshop claim as well.

Another fun fact, either the decorations are decided upon completion(likely) or upon construction. In either case, the decorations are decided after the artifact actually exist in dwarven history, as evidenced by self-referencing artifacts.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 09:28:59 pm »

Sorry for the necro, but just wanted to add my experience and check against anyone else's.  I got a moody weaponsmith who likes (among other things) both battleaxes and enormous corkscrews.  At first I was all excited thinking I'd get a great artifact right away, but 3 savescums later he keeps making corkscrews  ::).  Can anyone else confirm/deny that if a moody dwarf has multiple viable artifact preferences, he seems to pick one and stick to it?  Or if I keep savescumming you think there's a chance he'll make an axe instead?

UPDATE:

I got back, and having given up on getting anything other than an enormous corkscrew loaded the save I made just before he started the artifact as always, and played for a bit.  And whaddaya know?  This time I get Gudidsub, a steel battle axe!  Guess I was just really unlucky before! 
Well that settles that question!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 07:27:37 pm by Xen0n »