Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A way to get 40d with caverns?  (Read 971 times)

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A way to get 40d with caverns?
« on: May 31, 2011, 12:05:43 pm »

I prefer 40d and its simplicity. I just want overpowered dwarves and enough metal to create giant metal fortresses.

So, in this regard, i'm wonder if there's a way to get the cavern system into 40d? It'd be nice to have.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A way to get 40d with caverns?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 12:09:30 pm »

Dig out your own cavern, then abandon and reclaim? That's the only thing I can think of. I mean, aside from chasms, pits, megabeast caves and so on, I don't remember any caverns from 40d.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 12:12:09 pm »

you can bump the minerals in 2010 up really high.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 12:13:21 pm »

Well, even if I can't get caverns, I would enjoy having the amounts of metals in the rock as the current system has somehow, so if anyone knows how to do that, i'd be nice :P

I suppose that could work, actually
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 12:18:22 pm »

Danger Rooms, adamantine hacks, and Scarcity 100 (ie, nothing is scarce).  You can get a single soldier clad in full addy who can turn back whole sieges.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 06:14:07 pm »

I ran into caverns, but not 2010 style caverns. It was usually just random little caves in the area, full of fairly mundane critters.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

wrwr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 07:48:45 pm »

There are caverns. But they are quite rare. You can make caverns and underground rivers visible in the embark screen, one of the init files has a corresponding entry. But better be armed. Things live in there. Nasty things. Worst case: You embark right on a dragon.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 07:56:41 pm »

There's Caverns, the traditional 3 layers.  Caves, mounds of dirt/stone, usually with a deep narrow path to the first cavern, sometimes with creatures living within.  And Lairs, small pockets in the dirt where a named creature is living, like megabeasts, semimegabeasts, night creatures, and (presumably) were-beasts.

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 08:13:03 pm »

Setting mineral scarcity to 800 or so will get you sort of close to how .40d was. You don't get as many different metals, but you get quite a bit more gems. To overpower your dwarves, shamelessly use danger rooms. You still get oddly impervious skeletons littering the map and overpowered immigrants come every season, but you didn't mention that part.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 01:39:44 am »

Setting mineral scarcity to 800 or so will get you sort of close to how .40d was. You don't get as many different metals, but you get quite a bit more gems. To overpower your dwarves, shamelessly use danger rooms. You still get oddly impervious skeletons littering the map and overpowered immigrants come every season, but you didn't mention that part.
Pretty much all of my DF2010 migrants were underwhelming. The best reaction a migrant received from me:
"Oh, a talented clothier. Maybe I'll make some nicer bags."
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 07:09:11 pm »

Clothiers can make some pretty valuable stuff, don't knock them too much... but I've gotten experts at most things and by the time my fort fills up I've usually got several master weaponsmiths and armorers, though the nicest ones in my book are the master hunters/crossbowmen when they show up on my doorstep. I don't mind the occasional exceptional immigrant but it should be much rarer, like, one experienced immigrant every wave or two.

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2011, 09:14:09 pm »

Are you kidding?  Every single one of them is at the very least an Exceptional Hauler or Exceptional Cannon Fodder.