Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: dwarves owning land  (Read 605 times)

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
dwarves owning land
« on: May 31, 2011, 05:09:11 am »

this is relevant to the feudalism topic but I thought it deserves a sepperate topic.

The idea here is that some dwarven nobles should be able to OWN actual land instead of just rooms etc. A dwarf mayor might require 363 tiles of land(3 z levels of 11*11 areas). Dwarves who own land would be able to create their own houses, stockpiles, farms and workshops. Regular dwarves may also own land/farm plots. In the case of the feudalism topic, dwarves might also belong to certain land "plot" or area owners. Dwarves would harvest the resources of their plot but in the case of hunters/miners/woodcutters would also often do mainly the jobs of the fortress as a whole. Also, some dwarves might often claim certain things from other un-owned stockpiles. This would be a possible replacement of the dwarven economy. Also, dwarves would often request military assistance(requests to kill certain creature). Perhaps they might even create their own trade depots/send caravans out. In the case of there being a monarch, all the dwarven tradesmen would come together to go out as a caravan but thats a whole different topic.

Thoughts?

Stormcloudy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: dwarves owning land
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 06:30:43 am »

I am somewhat opposed to this, but only because I am selfish and want to own as much of the fort personally as possible. I don't want to share with a bunch of filthy slackers.

That said, it's a pretty good idea. It sounds like you would (d)esignate or make a (i)Zone, right?

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 06:32:56 am »

I am somewhat opposed to this, but only because I am selfish and want to own as much of the fort personally as possible. I don't want to share with a bunch of filthy slackers.

That said, it's a pretty good idea. It sounds like you would (d)esignate or make a (i)Zone, right?

Yes, prety much. You would still assign a dwarf to it but the differenci being that that dwarf might assign other things/people to it too. It would only come into play once the fortress is considerably big(when the former economy kicked in).

The Steel face palm

• Bay Watcher
  • I have slain many badgers.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 10:16:28 am »

Lmao great idea but I hope it never gets passed... Otherwise my noble killing engineers will be overworked ;]
Ghostly Miner cancels Fun, Interrupted by TEH SOAP BUSTERS
Quote from: Dyret
Also crossbow-wielding giant desert scorpions
Quote from: The Steel face palm
All your base are reclaim by us

I declare war on the badgers. At Winter it begins.

Kattaroten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 04:37:25 pm »

No... I dont think this will happen, because you are supposed to be the combination of all the managing dwarves in your fort. Making the nobles own land would be like asigning a plot of land to your pinky finger... kinda...
Dwarf Fortress: You have a team of hundreds working for four years to make a game where you save the world again. We have one guy for four years make a near-infinite world generator, write the physics,generate histories,form detailed descriptions of every human, elf, dwarf, and goblin generated, caverns, and huge randomly generated monsters made out of who knows what. You. guys. suck.