Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Disregard this.  (Read 6232 times)

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
Re: My first succesful fort! (Need help! Still nooby.)
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2011, 11:40:29 am »

As soon as you tantrum spiral (if it happens) Beds fill up fast, so it's good to have extras lying around.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2011, 02:15:26 pm »

NOOOOO!!!!!1

I'm such a tard! I abandoned the fort instead of saving! CRAAAAAP!

Curse you incorrect selector placement! CURSE YOU!

Okay, now I need to learn how to reclaim a fort. Do I just re-embark on the same place? If so, how do I find where the fort was? I didn't take note of the location. As soon as I found a place with running water and an aquifer I embarked.
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

Anathema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2011, 02:25:01 pm »

On the Embark screen (where you choose your fortress location), there's a reclaim option - I think it's 'R'. That'll give you a list of former fortresses to pick from; after selecting your failed fort, it'll take you to that location. Be forewarned that reclaimed forts are a mess, all your former items will be scattered across the map, and forbidden by default (appropriately, you'll have to 'reclaim' all your former items that you want to use).
The good news is that ghosts die of old age.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2011, 02:44:43 pm »

On the Embark screen (where you choose your fortress location), there's a reclaim option - I think it's 'R'. That'll give you a list of former fortresses to pick from; after selecting your failed fort, it'll take you to that location. Be forewarned that reclaimed forts are a mess, all your former items will be scattered across the map, and forbidden by default (appropriately, you'll have to 'reclaim' all your former items that you want to use).

Oh sweet! Thank you!

The fort shall live on! As soon as I get home I am doing my homework then reclaiming the fort.

reclaiming my items won't be too hard. The important thing is whether or not the workshops will at least be mostly intact.
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2011, 03:11:12 pm »

Would it be possible to utilize Miasma as a weapon?

I know that it makes dwarves run away and get bad thoughts.

I was thinking that I could create rooms set as corpse stockpiles. The corpses would rot, producing miasma. In the event of an attack, I use a lever to open up the doors facing outwards, engulfing my enemies in the scent of rotting flesh.

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2011, 03:42:24 pm »

I was thinking that I could create rooms set as corpse stockpiles. The corpses would rot, producing miasma. In the event of an attack, I use a lever to open up the doors facing outwards, engulfing my enemies in the scent of rotting flesh.
I don't think miasma has an effect on invaders, and even if it did, the miasma output would be pretty random.  You'd need a constant flow of bodies so you'd have miasma ready at all times to make it effective.
When something isn't quite dorfy enough, just add magma.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2011, 03:46:58 pm »

I don't think miasma has an effect on invaders, and even if it did, the miasma output would be pretty random.  You'd need a constant flow of bodies so you'd have miasma ready at all times to make it effective.

The rotten food and other rottable material would go in there too.

Proxiee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2011, 03:50:15 pm »

The rotten food and other rottable material would go in there too.

dead kittens too. As for embarking, if you ad a ton of things in your fort, it may take an ingame year or two just reclaiming the items, which can kill your dwarfs who are more concerned about hauling then making/eating food.IMO reclaiming is just a tantrum waiting to happen.

Build a new fort in the same region. Make it better then the last one ;)

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2011, 03:52:03 pm »

Well, another problem about weaponizing miasma is that miasma doesn't travel very far.  You'd have to funnel enemies into a small corridor for it to have any effect.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2011, 04:33:27 pm »

This question is about my school fort, not my home fort.

My civilization apparently has no anvils O-o

What do? I can't embark with one, and I can't make one because I need an anvil to make an anvil.

Or a strange mood.

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 01, 2011, 04:34:26 pm »

This question is about my school fort, not my home fort.

My civilization apparently has no anvils O-o

What do? I can't embark with one, and I can't make one because I need an anvil to make an anvil.

Or a strange mood.
You'll probably have to wait for the humans to arrive in the summer of the second year, they'll most likely have anvils for sale.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 01, 2011, 05:22:50 pm »

If you don't have enough embark points to buy an item, it won't show up. Clear stuff out until you have 300 and check again.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 01, 2011, 05:29:30 pm »

First of all, thanks for the tip there.

Second of all:

OMGWTFBBQ!!! My fort wasn't abandoned! I don't know how it happened, but I think it just rolled back a few hours of work!

BOOYAH!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 05:32:57 pm by Sting_Auer »

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2011, 09:07:20 pm »

I have a question:

If spears have the same contact area no matter what, wouldn't a heavier spear be better?

If so, would a lead or silver spear be better than an iron spear?

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 01, 2011, 09:56:25 pm »

I have a question:

If spears have the same contact area no matter what, wouldn't a heavier spear be better?

If so, would a lead or silver spear be better than an iron spear?
Weight doesn't matter as much on edged weapons, as a spear is.  What matters most on edged weapons is how well the material can hold an edge.  Silver is very soft, and doesn't hold an edge as well as, say, bronze or steel.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7