Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Disregard this.  (Read 6235 times)

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I finally survived past winter! Now what? (Need help please!)
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2011, 06:02:35 pm »

Right, gotcha.

Thanks. I will forbid the cooking of all food objects except for quarry bush leaves, eggs, and flour.

Mmmmm, chicken fried quarry bush leaves!
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2011, 06:21:31 pm »

Or...

water buffalo oil-dipped dog fat fried quarry bush leave chicken dumplings.

With strawberry wine dipping sauce.

That is pretty much the menu at my fort.
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2011, 06:26:38 pm »

Don't forget to use the silver you get from smelting tetrahedrite for maces and hammers. Its almost as good as platinum, and needs no modding.
 Use the tried but true design, 1 way in, one way out. Lock down your fort, then give someone a job outside. If they show up outside, you have a weak spot.
 Make some soap. Infections are a killer now. At least set up a first aid station for now. Put a bed, a traction bench, and a table in it. Coffers put in hospitals are to store stuff you reserved in hospital menu. Even if no coffers are in the first aid station, you still have the materials you set limits for held in reserve for doctors use.
 Place a small woodpile underground if case you have to stay locked down for awhile. And build a well inside a enclosed building, only access being from below
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2011, 06:31:31 pm »

I am going to have an area with around 20 beds or so set up as a hospital. there will be 3 traction benches. I have a brook running nearby, which will most likely become the fortress water supply/power source. I'll make a dwarven water reaction type thing that also lets some water leak out into a reservoir.

If the reservoir starts to overfill, a second pump sucks up some of the water automatically when the water reaches the correct level. This will all be drained out into the water traps mentions earlier and the excess to the brook.
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2011, 07:18:05 pm »

The first aid station was for use, until you build the fancy hospital. I do it just incase a dwarf(or I) do something stupid
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2011, 07:49:36 pm »

The first aid station was for use, until you build the fancy hospital. I do it just incase a dwarf(or I) do something stupid

Ah, I see.

I was going to set a large hospital area with a few beds, then add more beds as needed. I wasn't going to make all the beds and stuff first, then set the hospital.

gentgeen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2011, 08:04:28 pm »

In my 150 dorfish fortress, I've never used all 8 of the beds in my hospital at the same time. That might have something to do with the "Caņon of Death and Cages" gobbos have to pass through to get to my battledorfs.

callahan.44

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2011, 08:05:38 pm »

Does the brook freeze in winter? because it'll freeze just as you need the waterwheel or that injured dwarf needs water :)
"I had it all. I had a fortress that was very decent, a military that was getting very respectable. I was close to being complete."
"Shit man, now it's all gone."

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2011, 08:16:48 pm »

Does the brook freeze in winter? because it'll freeze just as you need the waterwheel or that injured dwarf needs water :)

It does freeze.

That's why I will make a reservoir. Don't underground reservoirs stay thawed?

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2011, 08:30:20 pm »

My militia commander/militia commander/one of my farmers keeps trying to store this random sword in a bin, but I keep getting spam for "Can't store item in bin: Drop-off inaccessible."

Help please?

EDIT: Now she's starving and dehydrated and still won't move. What do I do? She is carrying a bone gauntlet instead now.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 08:45:50 pm by Sting_Auer »

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
Re: My first succesful fort! (Need help! Still nooby.)
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2011, 08:50:31 pm »

Okay never mind I fixed that problem!

I had set a burrow around the trade depot so that she would stay there, but apparently it glitched out. Didn't let her move AT ALL.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2011, 10:57:56 pm »

Dwarves in burrows won't take jobs outside them, though they'll walk out of a burrow to reach another one. If you set up a burrow around the trade depot and put a dwarf there, the dwarf won't do anything that would take them outside said burrow unless forced by physical needs. So what you appear to be describing to be the intended behaviour.

Quick note about materials and weapons: for blunt weapons, heavier is better. Density is all that matters. For edged weapons it's a little more complicated. Imagine that each metal has a certain amount of cutting power, which has to be distributed along the cutting edge. Copper doesn't have much cutting power, so strikes need to be focused (as with a spear). Steel has plenty of cutting power, so you can spread it out over the length of an axe's edge and still have enough oomph to get through good metal. For projectiles, heavier is better. Sharpness is also a factor, but since bone and wood are both lighter and less sharp than metal you don't need to take it into consideration.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2011, 11:12:40 pm »

One thing to keep in mind for the hospital is to have a table (or is it traction bench? I forget) positioned to be touching 3-6 beds, depending how you like to design hospitals since I'm a stickler for lining walls with beds but not having them anywhere else, at all times.  This way when dwarves need to be placed on a surface to be operated on you don't get injury spammed as the dwarftor drags the injured dwarfs butt across the floor to get them to the table/bench and then have the injured dwarf get flopped back onto the bed only to get re-dragged off.

At least that's what I do after I had something similar happen to my fort and ever since I took that control scheme I've had no issues since.  (Feel free to debunk this.  I'm no expert.)
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

Qwernt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I finally survived past winter!
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2011, 12:19:55 am »

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I have an area in my entrance hall set up so that I can flood an area with water, then lava. The invaders will be covered in obsidian, and I can get the drops by mining it out! There are 6 compartments, 3 of which will be maga, the other 3 water. They also double as burial rooms! I use chert coffins for everything.

No one noticed this?  You have weaponized obsidian but still consider yourself a noob?  What does that make me??  I mean, sure, I can build and army, but you did the headache stuff...  the stuff that always goes wrong...

Now of course I have a goal to accomplish - become not noob!

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I finally survived past winter!
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2011, 04:14:46 am »

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I have an area in my entrance hall set up so that I can flood an area with water, then lava. The invaders will be covered in obsidian, and I can get the drops by mining it out! There are 6 compartments, 3 of which will be maga, the other 3 water. They also double as burial rooms! I use chert coffins for everything.

No one noticed this?  You have weaponized obsidian but still consider yourself a noob?  What does that make me??  I mean, sure, I can build and army, but you did the headache stuff...  the stuff that always goes wrong...

Now of course I have a goal to accomplish - become not noob!
(inb4messing up the pump stack floods the fort with magma)
When something isn't quite dorfy enough, just add magma.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7