Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Disregard this.  (Read 6231 times)

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
Re: I finally survived past winter! Now what? (Need help please!)
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2011, 11:17:44 pm »

Be forewarned, dwarves don't really have the concept of formation fighting down. It'll probably just turn into a hilarious brawl.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2011, 11:19:54 pm »

Cage traps are crucial...if your military is still weak they are useful for saving you and providing easily accessible goblin gear.  Also consider some iron trap components but avoid the mistake I made more than once...weapon traps can drive fortress wealth stratospheric leading to some rough ambushes early on.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2011, 11:21:19 pm »

Cage traps are crucial...if your military is still weak they are useful for saving you and providing easily accessible goblin gear training dummies.
Fixed that for you. o.o
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2011, 11:26:22 pm »

Fixed that for you. o.o

That too, but I forgot to remove their equipment once and was deeply scarred by the outcome.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

gentgeen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2011, 12:57:55 am »

You don't need a lot in the way of farm space. I think my total farm for 150ish dorfs is 7 2x3 underground plots and 2 2x3 above ground plots. Some of those plots are used for pig tails and dye, so I could get by with even less farm space to provide my dorfs with the all important booze, and the somewhat less important roasts.

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2011, 01:02:26 am »

You don't need a lot in the way of farm space. I think my total farm for 150ish dorfs is 7 2x3 underground plots and 2 2x3 above ground plots. Some of those plots are used for pig tails and dye, so I could get by with even less farm space to provide my dorfs with the all important booze, and the somewhat less important roasts.
As a corollary to this, too many farm plots is a BAD thing.  Nothing is worse than watching tons of crops rot on the farm plots and miasma everywhere.

(well, there are a few things I can think of that are worse, but not as stupid as that.)
When something isn't quite dorfy enough, just add magma.

LuckyLuigi

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Ever Savescum
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2011, 04:38:12 am »

Example uniform :

socks
shoes
leather high boots
metal high boots

trousers
leather leggings
metal greaves

robe
leather cloak
metal mail shirt
metal breastplate

mittens
metal gauntlets

leather hood
metal helm

metal shield
metal weapon

The cloak is vital as it protects the throat. Throat strikes are easily fatal. As mentioned before, chest and head protection are most important, as those wounds then to be fatal. Be sure to set the equip to 'replace' not 'overlay' or your dwarfs will become difficult, refusing to put on the mail shirt as they already wear a breastplate and so on.

Don't start fights with goblins untill your dwarves are trained and have metal armour of some kind.
Check out Time Denee's brilliant DF comics of Bronzemurder and Oilfurnace.

Batdwarf Forever !

ivze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2011, 05:21:01 am »

Use danger rooms!

Code: [Select]
#D###
#sss###
#sssdA#
#sss###
#####
D - normal door, d - locked internal door, A - armor stand, s - training spear trap, # - wall.

Dig a 3x3 room. Construct 9 wooden training spears, the more (x2, x3)- the better. Build 9 upright spear traps on every tile from the spears. Build a lever in the middle of dining room, link it to all the traps. Dig a two tile tunnel in a wall of the room, build an armor stand (to attract military) and a door, the armor stand shall be behind the door. Mark the door as internal. Order it to be locked. Build a door at room entrance. Designate barracks from the armor stand, the outer door will stop the area from spreading out.

Now make sure your military has all the equipment on to avoid injury. Welcome your dwarves to the room. (In barracks area properties mark that this room is OK for training of your squad. Set your squad to active/training alert.) Ideally there shall be less than 9 dwarves in a room to leave some space for dodging. Like 5 of them.

Ask your dwarves in dining room to pull the lever and mark the task to be repeated with 'r' key. Now folks in dining room are pulling the lever there and back. The spears are hitting the dwarves again and again, and this provides an AWESOME practice.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 05:22:47 am by ivze »

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2011, 05:32:15 am »

Use danger rooms!

#D###
#sss###
#sssdA#
#sss###
#####
D - normal door, d - locked internal door, A - armor stand, s - training spear trap, # - wall.

Dig a 3x3 room. Construct 9 wooden training spears, the more (x2, x3)- the better. Build 9 upright spear traps on every tile from the spears. Build a lever in the middle of dining room, link it to all the traps. Dig a two tile tunnel in a wall of the room, build an armor stand (to attract military) and a door, the armor stand shall be behind the door. Mark the door as internal. Order it to be locked. Build a door at room entrance. Designate barracks from the armor stand, the outer door will stop the area from spreading out.

Now make sure your military has all the equipment on to avoid injury. Welcome your dwarves to the room. (In barracks area properties mark that this room is OK for training of your squad. Set your squad to active/training alert.) Ideally there shall be less than 9 dwarves in a room to leave some space for dodging. Like 5 of them.

Ask your dwarves in dining room to pull the lever and mark the task to be repeated with 'r' key. Now folks in dining room are pulling the lever there and back. The spears are hitting the dwarves again and again, and this provides an AWESOME practice.

You can first let them there fully armed to get legendary shield skill, then remove shield and they get legendary weapon skill, then remove weapon and they become legendary dodgers. Legendary armor user is attained easily, too. Don't know if DR training affect attributes, if not, train them via regular training. Resultant super-dwarfs are going to pretty much grind anything unmodded game can send againt you single-handedly, the only exclusion may be their berserking brother-in-arms.

ivze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2011, 05:36:54 am »

You may also want to build a dodge trap.
##=##
#.=.#
#.s.#
#.s.#
#.s.#
#.s.#
#.=.#
##=##
'#' - wall, 's' - weapon trap, '=' - empty floor, '.' - pit.
Dig a structure like shown above at your entrance. It's an one-tile way, surrounded by pits with something nasty at their bottom. If you have magma, that's just OK - only iron items will be left from your enemies. You can later collect them.
Load the weapon traps with every piece of sh** weapons you have, even elven wooden things are quite OK. You may want to build wooden trap components. Every trap can hold up to 10 weapon items, it's advised to load all up to the capacity.

Now as a group of goblins walks in, they go jumping away from weapons no matter how deadly they are, and fall into the pits. The longer the structure is, the more reliable it works. But 4 tiles of full-loaded traps must be well enough.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2011, 12:01:47 pm »

I don't have access to magma, so I am pretty sure I'm going for cage traps and weapon traps designed to kill.

For making them go in a formation, I am going to make a burrow specifically for the defender dwarves and have them go there when I get attacked. The military burrow will be just large enough for all of them, and they will all go in there in a forced formation.

If possible, I will train several dogs. Unfortuneatly, aell my animals need to be kept outside due to lack of cavern moss for my creatures. If I train all of my dogs and whatnot, I should be able to have them in a pen just outside and they will attack automatically, right?

I just don't want to get my animals killed. I rely primarily on meat for my dwarves, and I don't have amny animals right now. My dogs are mostly puppies right now, and I am trying to breed larger amounts for more food.
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

gentgeen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2011, 01:21:19 pm »

Dogs don't eat. They can be pastured anywhere. Neither do cats, nor grizzly bears, nor giant eagles.

Only animals with the [GRAZER] tag need to be fed right now. At this time, that excludes all the poultry, so egg production is a very efficient way to feed your dorfs (stacks of *turkey egg roasts [50]* are a great way to have tons of food in a pretty small food stockpile in the dining room).

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2011, 02:58:28 pm »

Dogs don't eat. They can be pastured anywhere. Neither do cats, nor grizzly bears, nor giant eagles.

Only animals with the [GRAZER] tag need to be fed right now. At this time, that excludes all the poultry, so egg production is a very efficient way to feed your dorfs (stacks of *turkey egg roasts [50]* are a great way to have tons of food in a pretty small food stockpile in the dining room).

>:o

Did not know that. MY turkeys and dogs are going to be inside now.

I was already using eggs as food, I have 40 something eggs right now. Are they edible on their own, or do they need cooking at a kitchen?
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

gentgeen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2011, 05:46:34 pm »

Eggs are like tallow, they have to be cooked before dorfs will eat them. Armok is not a fan of raw egg swallowing.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2011, 05:55:21 pm »

Right, gotcha.

Thanks. I will forbid the cooking of all food objects except for quarry bush leaves, eggs, and flour.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7