Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Disregard this.  (Read 6208 times)

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
Re: My first succesful fort! (Need help! Still nooby.)
« Reply #60 on: June 01, 2011, 10:18:31 pm »

Also, as for your school fort: Your civilization probably just doesn't have access to iron. Get a steel one, or go without, as previously planned.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 01, 2011, 10:50:38 pm »

"Snatcher! Protect the children!"

My first attack! My dwarves were too slow to catch him, but the wuss ran out of the map. Should I be expecting an attack soon?

No children were taken. I have 2 children and 2 babies.

Oh, and I have indoor farms now, growing plump helmets, pig tails, cave wheat, and quarry bushes. I have 2 of my outdoor farm plots mass producing rope reed so that I can make more bags.

EDIT: WOAH! Another snatcher! I really need to be on the work. I think I am going to put the animal watchtower to work.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 11:05:58 pm by Sting_Auer »
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 01, 2011, 11:13:15 pm »

Did I make my fort on top of a radioactive mineral deposit? My dwarves are getting strange moods every other month it seems...

Some random guy just claimed a metalsmiths forge. His likes/dislikes are ho-hum mostly random stuff.

Any idea why my dorfs keep getting moods so often?
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2011, 01:26:47 am »

I believe there's a chance once a season that a dwarf will get a mood.  So you're just getting lucky (or unlucky) draws.

In my current fort, I got really lucky, got two artifact crossbows within 6 months.   :D
When something isn't quite dorfy enough, just add magma.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 02, 2011, 03:05:43 am »

I believe one of the mood limiting factors is the number of tiles dug out. Have you been mining more than usual?
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 02, 2011, 11:07:14 am »

I believe one of the mood limiting factors is the number of tiles dug out. Have you been mining more than usual?

My miner dwarves (5 of them to be exact) are mining almost non-stop. I'm trying to breach in to the caverns so I have some sentient creatures to train my military on.

gentgeen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 02, 2011, 12:53:20 pm »

Cage traps at choke points entering the fort, followed by goblin stripping, can provide much in the way of "training material" for your militia. Sometimes, if the gobbos decide to siege two seasons in a row, my military has a hard time keeping up with the inventory.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 02, 2011, 02:15:28 pm »

Cage traps at choke points entering the fort, followed by goblin stripping, can provide much in the way of "training material" for your militia. Sometimes, if the gobbos decide to siege two seasons in a row, my military has a hard time keeping up with the inventory.

My long entrance hallway is only 3 tiles wide. I am gloing to spam cage traps so that I can capture many, many goblins every time they attack.

ALso, I am getting quite a few Goblin child snatchers. If I made a burrow with a baby in it, then surrounded ikt by cage traps...

Is that Dwarfy enough? Using babies as bait?

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 02, 2011, 02:42:27 pm »

ALso, I am getting quite a few Goblin child snatchers. If I made a burrow with a baby in it, then surrounded ikt by cage traps...

That would work, in theory, but you'd have to make sure you took care of two problems.  Multiple babysnatchers coming at once, and the prospect of the baby starving/dehydrating.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 02, 2011, 03:09:38 pm »

That would work, in theory, but you'd have to make sure you took care of two problems.  Multiple babysnatchers coming at once, and the prospect of the baby starving/dehydrating.

I'd probably use a child, not a baby, and have a mini-food stockpile in it's burrow.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 02, 2011, 03:24:15 pm »

omg are you kidding me...

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 02, 2011, 03:28:12 pm »

Heh, I've had worse.  A lot worse.  What am I supposed to do with an artifact horse leather thong?

I guess it makes up for the two artifact crossbows, artifact leather shield, artifact diamond door, and artifact steel chain I've already got in my fort.
Not to mention the artifact pig tail fiber cloak that my militia commander wears over(or under? idk how that works exactly) his armor.   8)

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 02, 2011, 03:33:21 pm »

Uh oh...

Some migrants brought cats.

Of different sexes.

I'm doomed.

I'm actually making more room for indoor pastures for non-grazing animals. I am going to need a LOT of room though. I have quite a few animals.

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 02, 2011, 04:03:46 pm »

Uh oh...

Of different sexes.

I'm doomed.

I'm actually making more room for indoor pastures for non-grazing animals. I am going to need a LOT of room though. I have quite a few animals.
May I suggest killing all the cats of one gender, before it gets out of hand.  Best animals to breed (IMO) are smaller grazers like sheep and llamas.  Not only do they reproduce more regularly, but you can shear them for extra thread.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 02, 2011, 04:08:04 pm »

Uh oh...

Of different sexes.

I'm doomed.

May I suggest killing all the cats of one gender, before it gets out of hand.  Best animals to breed (IMO) are smaller grazers like sheep and llamas.  Not only do they reproduce more regularly, but you can shear them for extra thread.

Okay. I think I'll remove all the females, just in case I make a mistake. It's better to have 1 female and 1 hundred males than the other way around...

Wait, what if I keep 1 female and a couple of males, then let them breed when needed?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7