Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Finding flux?  (Read 8126 times)

Voyager

• Bay Watcher
  • Maybe it's supposed to be on fire.
    • View Profile
Finding flux?
« on: May 30, 2011, 07:48:06 pm »

Site finder is broken, and keeps flagging sites that have no flux.  Also, I don't seem to be seeing flux stone layers on the world viewer anymore. Currently, it looks like the only way to find flux stone is to embark at random sites, and dfhack them for their mineral lists. Unfortunately, flux does not appear to exist in the world I genned, which is really weird.

Any way to fix this?

Edosurist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Finding flux?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 07:50:09 pm »

The problem I've come across is that flux is EVERYWHERE if you dig deep enough. On the other hand, I can never find any iron ores (grr...) My guess is that if you go into the raws, there should be some way to change mineral scarcities of certain types.
So now all we've got to do is to put a couple of grannies into the LHC and smash them against each other at relativistic speeds. Lather, rinse, repeat until we got results.

Voyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 07:55:54 pm »

Yea, I'm having the reverse problem. I have iron, platinum, and gold three levels down, but no flux to make steel with.

Addendum: Were you using an Old World, or a young world? I was using an Old world, but I regenned a young world, and immediately found areas with Flux Stone.  Could it be that world age impacts the mineral content heavily?

Addendum 2: Strike that. It did not have flux, it merely said it did. To top it off, the most common workable metal was adamantie, followed by tin, and lead.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 08:24:47 pm by Voyager »

Voyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 08:31:26 pm »

Ok, this is seriously broken. I'm popping out pocket worlds right and left and they seriously have no flux. None anywhere.

Something is really wrong here, and I do not know how to fix it.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 08:39:12 pm »

Flux does not always show up on the embark screen, but it will be there.
The site finder ignores the fact that it isn't on the embark screen, and just cuts to the chase and points you to a site that will have it.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Voyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 08:43:24 pm »

The site finder ignores the fact that it isn't on the embark screen, and just cuts to the chase and points you to a site that will have it.

The problem being, that site finder is pointing me to sites that do not have any flux stone. I'm using the dfhack utility to check what is there, and none of the flux stones are turning up.

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 08:52:41 pm »

The problem being, that site finder is pointing me to sites that do not have any flux stone. I'm using the dfhack utility to check what is there, and none of the flux stones are turning up.

I think dfprospector by default does not display layer stones, which all flux stones are.  I think there's an option to tell it to count layer stones as well.  You're probably finding lots of sites that do actually have flux and just not realizing it.

--nomad_delta

Matazat

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIOME:DARK_BEDROOM][DIET:RAMEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 09:17:14 pm »

You could always add the [REACTION_CLASS:FLUX] tag to some of the more common stone types in your fort, which shouldn't require you to gen a new world.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 09:36:42 pm »

I think dfprospector by default does not display layer stones, which all flux stones are.  I think there's an option to tell it to count layer stones as well.  You're probably finding lots of sites that do actually have flux and just not realizing it.

--nomad_delta

Mine shows layer stones without any tinkering. I'm using the linux version, but it should be the same.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Disquiet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 10:02:11 pm »

nomad_delta is right dfprospector does not list layer stones.

Its possible that the new dfprospector version (5.14 I think) does show layer stones but it doesn't work for me, instead it lists a bunch of gibberish. So I use 5.13 instead as it actually works. Not sure if I'm using it wrong or other windows users have this problem but it lists the same gibberish for me on both XP and vista.

Voyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2011, 10:59:33 pm »

At least the windows version of dfProspect does not show layer stones on my install of it. This ended up meaning that it did not show any of the flux stone, nor did it show any of the iron ores. Using DFReveal showed that flux, iron ores, and bitumous coal were all present on at least one of the sites I checked.

Thank you.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 12:51:38 am »

Windows version of dfprospector shows layers - you need to type "dfprospector -b"  for that. Without that argument it doesn't show layers. I use version 0.5.13 with newer Memory.xml.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2011, 08:31:29 pm »

Go snoop out promising areas in adventure mode. Usually will see boulders of flux stone on the surface, that the embark screen does not show. Also can see veins of ore in cliff faces
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2011, 08:34:54 pm »

I don't use Prospector or DFReveal, but I should point out that calcite is the only flux stone that's not a layer stone, and only appears within flux layers. Which means that if it spots calcite, you've got a lot a flux(and if not, you've still got some calcite for steelmaking ;)).
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

feorh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2011, 12:01:15 am »

Had the same problem (don't use any hacks though). I solved it by exploratory mining – the 5th (or 7th) level had marble - took a couple of year of search though.%)
Pages: [1] 2