Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 23

Author Topic: Kobold Appreciation Conference  (Read 88852 times)

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kobold Appreciation Conference
« Reply #210 on: September 17, 2011, 09:31:28 pm »

Hey stop fighting I drew a kobolds it has the best of all worlds

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

(I apologize sincerely for this)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 17, 2011, 09:32:04 pm »

We're after that Dave guy.  You're ok Necro.  Well, no, you're not ok, let's be honest with ourselves.  But, you've done nothing wrong this time.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 17, 2011, 09:34:33 pm »

We're after that Dave guy.  You're ok Necro.  Well, no, you're not ok, let's be honest with ourselves.  But, you've done nothing wrong this time.
Indeed.

We all know that, dear sir. That is why I'm the head... head... something-or-other-to-do-with-magma.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 17, 2011, 09:36:18 pm »

(If quoting dead people were a legit argument):

KOBOLDS ARE NOT SCALY, BTW. That's from Germanic folklore. Lizard creatures? What the hell? These things are a type of fairy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobold

Lrn2folklorenub
Soaplent green is goblins!

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 17, 2011, 09:39:16 pm »

(If quoting dead people were a legit argument):

KOBOLDS ARE NOT SCALY, BTW. That's from Germanic folklore. Lizard creatures? What the hell? These things are a type of fairy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobold

Lrn2folklorenub
lolurriteamirite?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 18, 2011, 02:21:55 am »

True, but...

Plus, admit it; - DF is only for people with fetishes for either

A. Dwarves.
B. Magma.
C. Killing Kittens.
D. Kobolds.

BTW, I fall into category C.

>Plus, admit it; - DF is only for people with fetishes for either...
You forgot elaborate death traps, pointless doomsday devices, and Menacing Spikes.
(I am a death trap lover myself.)

you lot of fools have forgotten those of us with modding fetishes!
And for adorable, defenseless, and useless little creatures like kobolds. And kittens, consequently...

The only sorts of people DF shouldn't be attracting are fanatical pacifists, devout followers of most religions, fools with a phobia regarding the use of their brain on any meaningful level, and poor souls who have no creative imagination whatsoever, living purely off of what others feed them. I do not envy the latter in any way.

However, i do realize that we've all been trolled very, very hard here. Clever man, knows exactly how to send GIH into a berserk rage. I'd say I admire his creativity, but clearly he's imitating me!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Boost One

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 18, 2011, 04:48:36 am »

Plus, admit it; - DF is only for people with fetishes for either

A. Dwarves.
B. Magma.
C. Killing Kittens.
D. Kobolds.

E. Losing is fun!

Kobolds are small, scaled lizard-like creatures.

More like KOBALD.

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 18, 2011, 04:56:23 am »

I never used to see kobolds as much - they died easily and got torn up good by the guard dogs. I eventually ended up, somehow, playing a kobold fortress back in 40d, and it ended up being one of my most successful forts ever. They're so helpless, and I admired how well they stood up against the harsh life they have to face (when everything hates you and wants you dead.). I still don't see them as 'cutebolds', and never will, but I kind of like the little buggers now.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 18, 2011, 08:27:04 am »

Dude. What Toady says goes in Toady's universe. Which actually means our Kobolds are little sadistic monkeys so we can't really tell you off for that... Everyone has different headcanon, don't try and impose yours on us; the last guy who did...

We don't talk about Vader22 anymore.

NINJA'D by Girlinhat going off on a motherfucker. Goddamn, girl.
Then why the hell are you yelling at me?

I already said the DF kobolds have fur and doglike ears.

...I was "yelling" at Dave.

And really it was less yelling than a stern talking to, because I never used any exclaimation marks. :P
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 18, 2011, 10:08:27 am »

I had a Kobold come out of nowhere.  He ambushed a dwarven baby and stuffed him in a bag to carry off to god only knows what sort of adorable hole in the ground.  He also stabbed the child with his copper dagger before sacking him, and the one stab cut off the baby's right hand.  The baby's mother was also the militia commander, the only married migrant to appear at my young fort.  She was wearing full plate, mostly bismuth bronze, with an axe.

The kobold snuck up through my hunting grounds, ambushed my heavily armed militia commander, stabbed her baby carried in her arms, stuffed the baby in a sack, and walked away unharmed.

[PREFSTRING:balls of steel]

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: September 18, 2011, 11:30:11 am »

I had a Kobold come out of nowhere.  He ambushed a dwarven baby and stuffed him in a bag to carry off to god only knows what sort of adorable hole in the ground.  He also stabbed the child with his copper dagger before sacking him, and the one stab cut off the baby's right hand.  The baby's mother was also the militia commander, the only married migrant to appear at my young fort.  She was wearing full plate, mostly bismuth bronze, with an axe.

The kobold snuck up through my hunting grounds, ambushed my heavily armed militia commander, stabbed her baby carried in her arms, stuffed the baby in a sack, and walked away unharmed.

That sounds more like goblins...

Did you give Kobolds [BABYSNATCHER]?
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Masked_Hunter1825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: September 18, 2011, 11:50:26 am »

Uh oh. It looks like cats have new agents. In order to prevent the liking of kobolds, please think of them like this.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: September 18, 2011, 11:55:23 am »

Ridiculous.

That sounds more like goblins...

Did you give Kobolds [BABYSNATCHER]?

Goblins are capable of kidnapping kobolds right? I had heard something about how baby-snatching civs ignore kobolds and other similar civs, but that may well be a result of kobolds generally being dead. If they actually can kidnap kobolds during worldgen, then it's entirely possible you're dealing with a goblin civ with at least some kobold population.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 18, 2011, 12:56:17 pm »

*snip*
If you have to mention his name all the time then it's either Tolkien or J.R.R.Tolkien, not one R. Two. John Ronald Reuer Tolkien. Two r's. Lrn2writenamesoffantasyauthors. :P

And I'm slightly confused as to why you are using typology from something quite unrelated for this. Tolkien made his own versions of pre-existing concepts (granted his work was used as base for a lot) and later fantasy made their own versions as well; Blizzard/Bethesda Orcs are warrior culture fellows instead of nigh-brainless "evil"- doers, many media like D&D and Warhammer have Evil elves as well, which are practically impossible in Tolkien's middle-earth.
Similarly, humans come in many different guises, Dwarfs (or 'Dwarves' if you have to insist on Tolkienisms) are almost always stalwart heavily armoured mountain-dwelling fighters but then there's the ones in the Artemis Fowl series who eat mud and fart fire (or maybe that was another race) and the ones in a German fantasy author's (his name escapes me at the moment) aptly named Dwarfs series which has Dwarfs in the traditional way of stalwart heavily armoured etc.. but also Dwarfs covered in tattoos and even Dwarfs who fight directly for the evil forces there.
 Orcs in the same series are evil but there's also a very strong warrior culture by very Orc-like creatures who, nevertheless, do not act Tolkien Orcy. Similar to the Inheritance Cycle; the Urgals there are practically Orcs but turn out to be quite unlike the 'corrupted Elves' type Tolkien wrote.

Ehm, in short; I have to wonder why you insist on using Tolkien types in a non-Tolkien setting. Also; lrn2fantasy. Tolkien gave fantasy quite a jump-start, but he is not the end-all authority on all things fantasy.

Edit; Markus Heitz is the German author. Good work, try and find them, his books have probably been translated to English as well.

Edit2; wait a minute. Tolkiens orcs and Goblins are not necessarily green, he never specified them as being particularly green. And I don't believe he even wrote about Kobolds, did he?

Edit3;
So, wait...  Did you seriously just say "I don't care what the game says, this is how DnD and Tolkien put it, so that's how it is."

If the game defines a cyclops with wings, are you going to ignore it as it flies over your walls?
Made me laugh. :D Thanks.

Edit4; HELL, even in Tolkien based media there's massive differences. Just look Here.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 01:22:34 pm by FrisianDude »
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: September 18, 2011, 01:20:44 pm »

Yeah, those were dwarfs in the Artemis Fowl books. They didn't fart fire though. They could unhinge their jaw and dig through earth by eating all in front of them and then "depositing" it all behind them though. Their saliva had some properties that positively enhanced their healing. Hence why a dwarf in one of the books sucks his thumb after sticking it in a goblin's nose.

The goblins in those books were mad fire-making little bastards. They could snort out fireballs and one wanted to do so to our dwarven friend. Which is why he stuck his thumbs in the goblin's nose.

And J.R.R Tolkien was a pretty good guy but his writing style is utterly bone-dry and dreary. I tried re-reading the Children of Hurin some time ago and bigods, I couldn't even get past the second bloody intro before laying it aside in boredom. And it's not as if I'm some ADHD-riddled patience-less plonker.

Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 23