Advanced search  

Poll

Did you find HFS without being spoiled?

Yes
No
I'm a pansy elf who only builds forts above ground
I burn said elfs

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: How many of your found out about that fun place by stumbling upon it?  (Read 2253 times)

Syrup Roast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Spoilers just tug at your curiosity. They're the ultimate schmuck bait.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
My answer to just about everything is magma. In fact, most threads end up with me running in screaming it 

Befenismor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This forum spoiled it for me. I blame threads like these.
1024: You brag about your golden goblin ejaculator.

zozeer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I had seen the term HFS around the wiki and other places.  When I found that it was for "Hidden Fun Stuff" I stopped looking for any reference to it at all.  When I found my first candy vain I was excited, after all candy armed and armored dorfs are legendary.  I dug too greedily, too quickly, without any regard for the earth.

The Clowns...  They... I can still hear the screams...

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I found the 40d HFS through the wiki; however, the newer versions' adaptation was completely new to me, and I found it unexpectedly. Thus, I voted for burning elves.

The caverns were completely stumbled upon. I freaked out, opened the wiki, freaked out some more, and then exploited them. The best part was that I didn't find them until about my third 31.x fortress.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff

When I started playing back in the days of 40d, I heard vague rumors about the HFS.  I decided to avoid all spoilers and try and encounter them unspoiled as much as possible.  Early on I didn't know that they were only found in fairly rare spots, and I was paranoid about digging down towards the bottom of the map at all.  When I finally did decide to go looking for the HFS and found a cotton candy cluster, I prepared a very paranoid defensive corridor, including large numbers of cage and weapon traps, lockable doors and drawbridges, half a dozen legendary axedwarves in steel armor, and finally a cave-in trap I could use to plug the corridor and seal the tunnel leading to the HFS.  Everything set up, I breached the clown car ... and found frog demons, possibly the wimpiest variety.  My soldiers handled them with little problem.

After that, I decided that the HFS wasn't so tough after all.  Then in my next 40d fortress, I hit HFS again.  This time the clown car was full of Spirits of Fire.  My military were slaughtered, my fortress burned, everything and everyone was destroyed.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile

I don't know if this really counts, but once when I wanted to dig in a candy pillar, I unleashed the HFS without knowing that they live in the pillars.
I had already known about HFS before that happened.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile

When I got the first version with HFS, my first fort had the sole goal of "dig straight down." I reached the SMR that way, which got me scratching my head. Then I noticed the spires, and said, "hey, those might be it!" I had a guess about what would happen from 40d, but the extent and scale caught me off guard.
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

Korgus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I thought "Hidden Fun Stuff" was cheats or something, so I looked it up.
F*** your pointy ears I've my dwarves inside.
And f*** your wooden swords I've my dwarves inside.
F*** your bins of cloth I've my dwarves inside.
If you're looking to be killed I've my dwarves outside.

Mimidormi

• Bay Watcher
  • Magnetite.
    • View Profile

Actually, when i started playing during 40d, given the vague warnings on the wiki, i was expecting something Balrog-like in the depths of the earth. I was tempted to spoil it to myself voluntarily, thinking i wouldn't have enjoyed the surprise ('A fortress ending danger just by mining in the wrong place, when i'm still learning the game? It could be fun for veterans, but no way, i have to be prepared!' I was so wrong, but i couldn't know it), yet i suspected that, as a first time happening only once, i should have let myself be taken by surprise.

I was still unsure about looking it up, and i was still avoiding the forum for the same reason.. the ironic thing is that, while looking for what HFS stands for, i got spoiled by the image in the warning for spoilers in the wiki. 'Peculiar chamber, what is this? And that cyan metal vein all around would be adamantine?'. So much for secrecy.

I so regret it. I would have enjoyed discovering the !!Fun!! by myself, a lot. I know i have mostly to blame myself for misjudging the situation, but that image put the final nail in the coffin, so to speak.
Even worse in the current version, it doesn't help the new players that by looking up HFS on the wiki it redirects to the Hell page.

In the .31 version i got spoiled by the forum topic titles. It's always better to keep the secret than to speak about it freely, thinking that the others 'came too late', because such a revelation can't be unspoiled, and, by talking about it without regards for those who didn't discover it yet, we basically take away from them the right to be surprised. I think that putting (spoiler) in a non-revealing title is more than enough, if they click on it they have only to blame themselves.
I would have enjoyed discovering the magma sea by myself as well, i think my heart would have stopped for a second seeing all that magma :o but i don't really blame anybody for that.

Another possible source of spoilers are dwarf preferences in their profile, but it's more likely to think those are just possible creatures from worldgen, or goblin/human civ masters escaped from a 'mythical underworld' not in the game (well, mythical until the player discovers about it), or from other biomes, or legends with the [DOES_NOT_EXIST] tag (even though that's really unlikely for a new player to know about that tag).. if that makes suspect about a Moria like situation, i see it more as foreshadowing than spoiling.

Coco146

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Haha i must laugh when I see people say "There are circuses in DF ?"

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page

Admittedly, i read about the place before finding it. I'm an extremely curious individual, but i typically play carefully as well, meaning that i don't like heading for unknown territory. I think i would have been quite surprised if i hadn't read about it, even though things like dragons and vomit titans exist. Many games have it in an abstract form, but very rarely do you actually get to poke a hole down there and be forced to deal with the contents. NOTHING could prepare me for the mindblowing amounts of Fun that followed, though. :P (ONE clown could have wiped my entire fort there, and we are generally met with like 80 of them)
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Funny, the first time I ever encountered Adamantine at all was also the first time I discovered hidden fun stuff. As I breached the first cavern layer filled with orthoclase, a detail I strangely remember quite vividly, I received the fable announcement 'Praise the miners!'

Naturally, I dug right in. The fort was only a few months old at this point, and all of my dwarves were instantly slaughtered. The only dwarf to put up a fight lasted about 30 seconds after getting cornered in the food stockpile. Another tried hiding in his bedroom, to no avail... I remember watching the demons storm into the upper levels and start smashing everything. It was glorious, loads of legitimate fun :D

TapeNoot

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE: AMPHIBIAN]
    • View Profile

Immediately blew through the wiki when first starting so I knew about it.

Used stonesense and the 3D visuliser thing on a fort to have a look. Then used DFHack to reveal the spires briefly. Arranged to dig a spire from the bottom up, avoiding the 'circus cannon'.

Backed up the save, and then sent my military in for !!science!!. They were gone in under three seconds. Attempted to frantically wall everything off, but lost the whole fort anyway.

Only survivor was the mayor, dying of thirst, immobilised by a spinal injury in the hospital. The clowns were too busy smashing up furniture to finish him off, so I was forced to fill the entire hospital with magma to end it all.

Kinda spoiled all the way through, but, t'was fun anyway. Once you know of these things, !!science!! can begin after all :P
BY ARMOK'S FLAMING TESTICLES, JUST WHAT THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING?

A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol fuelled beard with the IQ of a parsnip, and that's insulting to the parsnips.

Tlc2011

• Bay Watcher
  • ..No idea what to put here.
    • View Profile
Re: How many of your found out about that fun place by stumbling upon it?
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2011, 10:30:17 pm »

I just ignore the spoilers on the wiki.
Pages: 1 [2] 3