Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Peasant Migrant Option  (Read 1155 times)

Swadow

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Peasant Migrant Option
« on: May 30, 2011, 04:02:05 pm »

An addition of having option, at either starting a new fort or at making a region, to have the fort accept only peasant migrants(With exception of Nobles of course, who wouldn't want to have some fun with them?) This could make it so that the fort wont have a Grand Master Soap Maker running around with nothing to do or get drowned(in magma of course) and instead you could have a Peasant start training a job that is useful for the fort or send them to Military. Managing the Fort would become so much easier and making specified Forts(Like a fort dedicated to making Soap for example) less of a chore.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Peasant Migrant Option
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 04:06:24 pm »

This is a nice idea, but gives no in-game benefit or actual change, except for aesthetics.

Why can't you just train the soap maker in "a job that is useful for the fort or send them to Military" rather than murder them? They train up just as quick as a peasant after all.

How would it make managing the fort simpler? You've still got to set peoples labours to get them doing the jobs you want either way.

Seems like you might save 5-10 seconds per immigrant at most when they arrive.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 04:12:40 pm by Reelyanoob »

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 04:11:49 pm »

Yeah, I've never understood these people... just retask them, and if you ever need a grand master soap maker, you have one.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 04:13:58 pm »

Anyone I don't need becomes a hauler. If i think they might be useful later, they become a furnace operator to keep them safe.

Oh and z->y->p lets you rename their profession as "Hauler"
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 04:15:59 pm by Reelyanoob »

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 12:20:55 pm »

A Grand Master Soaper will be such for a long, long time. His profession title not changing properly makes him troublesome to keep track of. Then there is the question of why such a high artisan would migrate with no guarantees of having a future in his profession in your fort. Being allocated to lugging stones should probably piss him off.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 01:16:09 pm »

A Grand Master Soaper will be such for a long, long time. His profession title not changing properly makes him troublesome to keep track of. Then there is the question of why such a high artisan would migrate with no guarantees of having a future in his profession in your fort. Being allocated to lugging stones should probably piss him off.

He didn't have a job at his last fort, maybe he'll have one in yours?

Regardless it isn't improving the game, you're just changing it for aesthetics. For those who do want soap makers or other 'useless' migrants this will be a step back.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 03:30:22 pm »

A Grand Master Soaper will be such for a long, long time. His profession title not changing properly makes him troublesome to keep track of.

Personally, I use Dwarf Therapist, and don't even look at professions; I just look at actual skill levels.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 03:51:14 pm »

A Grand Master Soaper will be such for a long, long time. His profession title not changing properly makes him troublesome to keep track of.

Personally, I use Dwarf Therapist, and don't even look at professions; I just look at actual skill levels.

Not only that, but I use Dwarf Therapist to assign "Custom Professions" to my dwarves, which actually changes their profession name in DF as well.  You can call them anything you like -- for examples, I give all my generic haulers the profession name "Minion" and they show up that way in the (u)nit list and elsewhere.

I also find this makes it easier to assign my military dwarves to squads and keep track of them.  I give my Marksdwarves a custom profession (with no jobs enabled at all) called "Marksdwarf", and the same with my Swordsdwarves, Axedwarves, etc.

--nomad_delta

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 04:00:22 pm »

What's wrong with soap? :)

In fact I think it is a fun challenge to build a fort using the actual skills my migrants arrive with, rather than the skills I think they should have.

Kestrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 07:43:12 pm »

One of the first few DF Talks discusses the idea of being able to turn away individual waves of peasants.  Dunno if this landed in dev logs or anything though.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): I heard that I died.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): I died.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): It was inevitable.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): It was inevitable.

Rocky

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels mod game: Interupted by failure.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 06:48:49 pm »

Honestly? I do think this would be a helpful option in certain circumstances-- especially if you're attempting a specific sort of challenge. In fact, in the fort I'm about to start, I actually would use this.
However, I would consider implementing such a feature a very low priority task. Very, very low priority.
♪ I needed gold 'cause I-- had none!
♪ I struck the earth and the-- earth won!

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2011, 08:07:11 am »

I would make use of this if it were an option.

I don't like dwarves turning up with labours enabled that I didn't personally approve. I don't like having to give custom professions to see what a dwarf does, since the skill-based profession names work better, ordering the unit list and applying colours properly.

I would actually like to have a fort where the only skills present are ones that I have bought at embark, or ordered to be trained. It seems neater to me.

Yodamaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2011, 11:01:33 pm »

I would make use of this if it were an option.

I don't like dwarves turning up with labours enabled that I didn't personally approve. I don't like having to give custom professions to see what a dwarf does, since the skill-based profession names work better, ordering the unit list and applying colours properly.

I would actually like to have a fort where the only skills present are ones that I have bought at embark, or ordered to be trained. It seems neater to me.

I agree. I also use Dwarf Therapist, and just looking through the clutter of what people are trained as and what you WANT them to be is annoying.