Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What is Scratch?  (Read 1821 times)

kissa3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What is Scratch?
« on: May 30, 2011, 01:39:40 pm »

What skill would make scratching more efficient? I plan on making black-cat of a sort, adventuress, but keep wondering what would be best focus.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
Re: What is Scratch?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 01:58:52 pm »

Striking, but scratching generally sucks though, and will probably not do anything more than tear skin/muscles on human-sized foes (which is fine on the throat though). Tiny foes can get their limbs lobbed off, though. :P
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 02:57:59 pm »

I've had a dwarf scratch a human in the head, and the severed part flied off in an arc.
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

minno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 03:38:05 pm »

I've had a dwarf scratch a human in the head, and the severed part flied off in an arc.

I'm guessing he was in a martial trance, which gives a massive strength boost.  Normally scratching doesn't do more than superficial damage, and it's blocked by any metal armor.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 06:39:31 pm »

I'm guessing he was in a martial trance, which gives a massive strength boost.  Normally scratching doesn't do more than superficial damage, and it's blocked by any metal armor.
Actually, martial trance doesn't give any sort of damage boost at all, AFAIK.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 01:44:21 am »

What skill would make scratching more efficient? I plan on making black-cat of a sort, adventuress, but keep wondering what would be best focus.
Go for scratching/biting-shaking throat. with smaller prey, you can try biting through brain like jaguars. i'd advise enlarging your nails(turning them to claws somehow?) and eye teeth, but i do not know how sadly

Doro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 03:16:50 am »

"A creature enters martial trance when it is fighting multiple enemies at once. The trance offers a boost to the creature's abilities - a creature in a martial trance has a significantly increased chance of blocking or parrying an attack, and is more likely to hit their opponent. However, it does not give a direct damage bonus like enraged. "

directly from wiki so yeah, it increases strenght also.
ive also scratch-decapitated couple of enemies and it seems to be quite effective when used in trance atleast, cant remember if have killed any without trancing

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 03:32:18 am »

The quote you gave seems to directly contradict a strength boost.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 03:39:52 am »

Aye, all Martial Trance does is give you random opportunities to land a Simple Strike on every turn (in adventure mode, you can see the !s next to body parts when aiming). Simple strikes treat the enemy as unconscious and therefore almost always wreck the part in question.
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 03:49:51 am »

I don't think it's just the attacks of opportunity, though. Adventurers armed with slashing weapons throw beheadings left and right if you aim for the head in MT, no matter how hard the strike reportedly is.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 06:49:28 am »

Martial trances just pump up your effective skills to ludicrous levels, something like (skill+1)*5. Dunno if that part still applies (it's written under 40d in the wiki), but chopping people apart in a trance is dead simple anyways. I'm inclined to believe that skill also affects how squarely your hits will land, since i've managed to dismember with "can't quite connect" hits with a highly skilled adventurer. I'm just speculating, though. Or maybe your nails temporarily grow to the length and strength of longswords during a trance.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 09:37:48 am »

Scratching isn't THAT bad... Quite often my sword-wielding adventurer will manage a lucky shot, scratching my opponent in the brain. (temple?) It's quite effective...
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.