Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Active Gameplay while 'paused'  (Read 625 times)

Orealisk

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Rawr
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Active Gameplay while 'paused'
« on: May 30, 2011, 12:56:19 pm »

I think it would help the gameplay run a bit faster if there were an option (default, off for beginner safety) to enable gameplay to continue while in a selection menu that still displays the map (burrows, build, designate, etc) but still stay paused in menu screens (noble, military, etc)

You know just because I want to place a statue depicting cats doesn't mean I want the world to stop to do so ;)

And if I'm a royal retard and this does exist please point me to it. I've read and reread the inits and raws and can't find it.
Quantum Dumps Are For Sissies.

Giant Dumps That Bog Pathing Are For The Strong.

Kattaroten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Active Gameplay while 'paused'
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 01:38:09 pm »

This does not currently exist, no... But it bloody well should!
Dwarf Fortress: You have a team of hundreds working for four years to make a game where you save the world again. We have one guy for four years make a near-infinite world generator, write the physics,generate histories,form detailed descriptions of every human, elf, dwarf, and goblin generated, caverns, and huge randomly generated monsters made out of who knows what. You. guys. suck.

opsneakie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 04:46:50 pm »

YES, this exactly. I'd love to see the game support designations/building/construction without pausing. It would make the early parts of fort-building especially faster, where you spend most of your time designating.

Please, put this into the next version!
Collosal bronze man
With titanic strides he comes
Dwarves he will harvest

DF Twitter

Demicus

• Bay Watcher
  • The formless enigma
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 08:25:45 pm »

Based on the squad command menu, I believe Toady plans to do this at some point. The framework is there already for it, he just needs to go back and rewrite the existing menus to work that way. Probably relatively easy to do, but it would be a lot of work depending on what shape those sections of code are in. And Toady seems to be having a lot of fun making were-creatures and such at the moment, so it will probably be awhile...
All shall embrace the unquenchable flame
Dwarf Fortress: The weak shall be culled, so the strong can have nicer socks.