Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Legendary Weaponsmith.  (Read 5531 times)

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Legendary Weaponsmith.
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2011, 02:11:27 pm »

Well:
Blade: O1 high carbon tungsten-vanadium alloy tool steel, hardened and tempered to 59HRC
Blade Finish: mirror polished throughout, hot blued, caustic sodium salt process

Sounds like it still could carve you up pretty well. An artery has been severed! Still a display piece but no one should take it ever into combat.

Anyway, if anyone only commented because they saw only one picture of one single knife:
Some weapons...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And yet, the last blade is the better weapon.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2011, 02:36:37 pm »

The site did state that he made weapons for the army/marines.  His personal craft seems to be artifacts, amazing work, but it's still a cotton candy mace and golden short sword.  The less ornate pieces seem to be more like actual weapons that a dwarf would use, instead of just tossing in a room for value.  That said, the actual weapon pics are very nice as well.

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2011, 02:59:52 pm »

And yet, the last blade is the better weapon.
Have to disagree again. IRL yes, but we're dwarves and we want a dagger, not a combat knife. Armor was better against melee weapons then modern bulletproof vests, so the more stabby dagger should beat the slashier knife.
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

Syrup Roast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2011, 10:58:33 pm »

wait, you can't stab with that knife? Because it looks double-edged...
My answer to just about everything is magma. In fact, most threads end up with me running in screaming it 

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2011, 11:19:33 pm »

wait, you can't stab with that knife? Because it looks double-edged...

It's less specialized for stabbing. As a whole, it's probably the best out of all the knives in this thread, but for pure stabbing, the one right above the marine knife would be the best.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2011, 03:04:40 am »

Well the guy is definitely an artisan although maybe more of a Jeweler - Engraver than weaponsmith in df terms as it seems he grinds or mills metal as his chief technique rather than forge it. His fancy knives don't seem too utalitarian, but i'm only familiar with common kitchen knives myself and can only see utility in them. What chef's knives or other kitchen knives i saw on his site look pretty much utalitarian, useful, convenient and sturdy as well as being beatiful.
Maybe that fancily curved blades of other his knives have their use and utility too, i just don't know.
That knives that i can at least partially appraise are clearly masterworks df terms.

That said, with modern machinery pretty much any good factory-made knife would be considered exceptional quality by our 14-century dwarves if not masterwork.

Ace_Warbringer

• Bay Watcher
  • Swords For Everybody!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2011, 02:01:57 pm »

Well if you want to go through armor. Take a look at a world war one trench spike. It's made to go through HELMETS.  :o
Though maybe that's the issue. The concept is just too simple for the dwarven mind to grasp!

Lord Inquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2011, 02:25:58 pm »

theses are forged knifes, not as fancy as the jeweller/engraver guys ground knifes but  i think closer to what the dwarfs make.
http://www.radharcknives.com/Knives%20-%20Unique.htm
http://cataclysm.tiddlyspot.com/index.html Cataclysm Roguelike game Tiddlywiki mostly out of date
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113337.0 Who makes alcohol? do you? post here then.

Steele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2011, 02:39:10 pm »

Good lord, talk about overpriced!
I don't care how good you are, there ain't no such thing as a KNIFE worth $2,000+.
Not in my book.
Sheesh, and I thought my Gil Hibben bowie was expensive..

Noir

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Evil Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2011, 03:08:40 pm »

Looks like this guy gets in a fey mood quite often. I wouldn't like to be in his wife's shoes when he withdraws from society and they somehow cannot find the materials he requires.
Naked dwarves remove the need to produce more clothing, which means more of your pig tails can be brewed into booze.
I think this is less a problem and more an expression of dwarven priorities.

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2011, 03:16:47 pm »

Good lord, talk about overpriced!
I don't care how good you are, there ain't no such thing as a KNIFE worth $2,000+.
Not in my book.
Sheesh, and I thought my Gil Hibben bowie was expensive..

Well, if you can afford it why not? Those are good knives and while any normal person would use the money better, for a rich person it could be quite a rational choice for example to go hunting with a 3 grand knife.
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Steele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2011, 03:34:52 pm »

If you're that rich and don't care if you get your moneys worth, go for it.
I'd kinda like to meet such a person so I could try and sell them a sharpened stick for a couple grand.

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2011, 06:17:20 pm »

Well, if you can afford it why not? Those are good knives and while any normal person would use the money better, for a rich person it could be quite a rational choice for example to go hunting with a 3 grand knife.
No, that's damn near criminal.  If you got $3K to throw down the toilet on a knife, invest it in a local small business instead.

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2011, 06:38:48 pm »

No, that's damn near criminal.  If you got $3K to throw down the toilet on a knife, invest it in a local small business instead.

Like, for example, your local knifemaker? ;)

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2011, 06:46:20 pm »

Like, for example, your local knifemaker? ;)

No, like a Mom and Pop resturant, a Dry Cleaners, a family owned gas station, etc.  He is an artist, not a business.

And on that note, I would say do as you will with your money, to me buying one of those knives is a waste.
Pages: 1 [2] 3