Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Traps and Impact  (Read 577 times)

Evil the Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Traps and Impact
« on: May 29, 2011, 11:02:59 pm »

Okay, so I'm building a winding labyrinth section which I plan to fill with traps, naturally enough. My original thought was that I would put a bunch of weapon traps with big high-impact weapons on a raised walkway above a punji pit (a 3-4 Z level pit filled with upright spikes) but it occured to me that I don't actually know if this would work. I know that getting people to dodge in precarious places can make them fall off, and I know that hammers and blunt weapons carry impact which can knock people back, but would either of these work with traps?

Assuming so, which would be the best weapons to use to have the best chance of knocking people off? I was going to experiment with a combination of Giant Axe Blades and maces, but if anyone has any ideas it would save me some time.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Traps and Impact
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 11:09:20 pm »

Creatures do take additional damage from falls if they fall onto extended spikes, so that is beneficial.

Blunt weapons don't usually (ever?) cause more knockback than other weapons do anymore; that was something that happened before the physics rewrite with version 31.01. Attacks anymore mostly cause enemies to move when the enemy dodges an attack. Your best bet, for forcing enemies into your pits, is thus weapons that give the most chances for the enemy to dodge: serrated discs and spiked balls, each of which attacks 3 times per weapon per trap trigger.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 11:09:50 pm »

You might be thinking of earlier version in which enemies can explode due to high impact.

Nowadays knockbacks rarely occur in combat, except in cases where you "charge" the opponent.

You're better off installing traps that have a chance to hit multiple times. For each hit that may not land, the enemy has another chance to dodge into pit.

Edit: Ninja-d almost exactly xD

Evil the Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 11:18:24 pm »

Excellent, serrated disks and spiked balls it is!

Plus this way if they don't dodge off the rail the traps should make a mess of them anyway.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 09:09:49 am »

Excellent, serrated disks and spiked balls it is!

Plus this way if they don't dodge off the rail the traps should make a mess of them anyway.

If you don't want them hurt before falling then any weapons would be good, I use even wooden weapons from elves, goblin weapons and training weapons. Military enemies dodge nearly always, if there are ten weapons, jump and fall into the pit, chasm or whatever you've prepared for them. Serrated disks and other serious weapons will eventually cause the trap to jam. For civilians and monsters it is less important, though some monsters can evade like military.

Dynastia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 02:55:13 pm »

If it's a dodge trap, then like Saiko Kila says, you want as many "hits" as possible, but don't want the victim to be killed by the actual weapons and jam the trap. I'm not certain about this, but I think severed parts can also jam the trap, so I'd suggest using spiked balls over serrated discs, and making them out of wood, glass or copper (whatever you're best equipped to massproduce) Bone crossbows/bolts are another excellent choice economically (at least, assuming you have a roomful of bones from all the animals you slaughter), as are any weapons you come across and don't actually want. Ten wooden spiked balls is just as good for making them dodge as ten adamantine serrated disc ; so your good trap components should probably be saved for areas where you're trying to kill them, instead of dodging them off a walkway.