Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pit  (Read 1408 times)

WagonWheel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pit
« on: May 29, 2011, 09:49:45 pm »

I recently caught a giant in one of my cage traps and I am looking to train marksdwarves. I heard that training marksdwarves is hard than training normal soldiers, I already have many wood bolts to train with and a lot of iron bolts to fight with. But two things, one, how do I make a pit to make the giant a pin cushion? I tried making a pit once with an eariler fort and it escaped and ended up with much fun. I don't understand that wiki mass piting thing at all to be honest. Two, whats a good way to get marksdwarves started on shooting?

WagonWheel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pit
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 10:04:46 pm »

Good news, I found out how to pit. Bad news, everyone is running away from the giant trapped behind walls
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 10:21:23 pm by WagonWheel »

PotatoLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 10:52:20 pm »

Civilian dwarfs will run from any hostile that's visible, regardless of whether or not it can actually path to them. Remember that dwarfs can see down pits and such for several z-levels.
Dude, you've created a Yeti with nothing to lose.

You've created Yeti Batman.

WagonWheel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 11:03:28 pm »

Thanks I'll have to kill it with my military... somehow.

But anyways, I set up an archery range and assigned them wood bolts to use for training, they have quievers, bolts, a target range, and iron armour. Why aren't they training? Also one is a hunter but I disabled that.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 11:05:24 pm by WagonWheel »

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 11:07:04 pm »

Thanks I'll have to kill it with my military... somehow.

But anyways, I set up an archery range and assigned them wood bolts to use for training, they have quievers, bolts, a target range, and iron armour. Why aren't they training? Also one is a hunter but I disabled that.

Did you set the squad to active? By default they are inactive and will only train whenever they feel like it.

WagonWheel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 09:55:27 am »

No, I meant that I can't take down walls because my masons are scared of it. I understand attacking and moving and all.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 12:30:28 pm »

archery range wont work alone.  marksdwarves must also have a regular barracks assigned or they wont use the range.  The way it works is they will train in the barracks you give em just like a melee squad learning hammer, wrestling/unarmed combat and defensive stuffs.  Whenever they aint doing that they will hang at the range and shoot.  It all works rather well but they do need both the range and the barracks to use the range.
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 04:12:30 pm »

See the link in my sig for help with pitting things. A giant, though, would probably escape before you can pit it. For that, build the cage with the giant (use "x" to expand the list of cages into specific cages), then build a lever somewhere safe, and link the lever to the cage. When the lever is pulled the cage will deconstruct and release the giant.

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 04:16:26 pm »

See the link in my sig for help with pitting things. A giant, though, would probably escape before you can pit it. For that, build the cage with the giant (use "x" to expand the list of cages into specific cages), then build a lever somewhere safe, and link the lever to the cage. When the lever is pulled the cage will deconstruct and release the giant.

Your sig is broken.

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 04:20:49 pm »

oops... you're right. thanks. fixed

elpizo

• Bay Watcher
  • DOWN WE GO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2011, 09:42:32 pm »

next time make it really far from your fortress (the pit)

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 12:29:16 am »

For that, build the cage with the giant (use "x" to expand the list of cages into specific cages), then build a lever somewhere safe, and link the lever to the cage. When the lever is pulled the cage will deconstruct and release the giant.

This is solid advice.  Some critters can escape when being dumped from a cage, stealthy types in particular and the strength of the creature in question may be a factor and a Giant is strong.  Building a cage with b->j and opening it via lever is always safe.  I dig my pit, mount the cage and hook it up, then wall up the entrance used by the mechanic before pulling the lever. 

Yes the giant will scare civvies, make your pit off to one side, if you make a room above the pit that has a 1-tile wide floor round the edges, stick an armour stand in one corner and assign your marksdwarves to the resulting barracks.

Auto-training, theyll even reload better than marksdwarves on a 'station' or 'patrol'
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.