Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 3 Questions  (Read 529 times)

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
3 Questions
« on: May 29, 2011, 04:19:12 pm »

1. How do I get my Wrestlers to switch from their fists to a weapon even though I assigned them a specific weapon?

2. Is there a way to set the minimum amount of migrants that come to your fortress?

3.Does DFreveal prevent seiges or ambushes from attacking you?
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 3 Questions
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 04:42:45 pm »

1. You wait until they pick up the weapon assigned to them. Note that if somebody else is already carrying that weapon, they won't pick it up.

2. Minimum amount? No. Most people try to limit the maximum amount, which is impossible to do precisely.

3. No, it just reveals the map, which in turn causes problems with magma workshops and the depths.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Mimidormi

• Bay Watcher
  • Magnetite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 05:01:15 pm »

1. How do I get my Wrestlers to switch from their fists to a weapon even though I assigned them a specific weapon?

Specifying their weapon on the uniform should be enough. Have you already checked if some other dwarf is using them (i'm thinking about axes used by woodcutters) or they're forbidden or in inaccessible places?

2. Is there a way to set the minimum amount of migrants that come to your fortress?

Sure, in data/init/d_init.txt, you can set your [POPULATION_CAP] to whichever amount you like. Mind that the first two migrant waves are hardcoded, and they'll come anyway. If you're already some years ahead in the game, babies conceived before modifying d_init.txt will be delivered (unless you forbade pregnancies, in the same .txt), and may push you over the cap. Migrants that were already on the way to your fortress will appear as well. You may adjust your cap to the final amount of dwarves after receiving what seems to be the last migrant wave ever, but there's no failsafe method.

3.Does DFreveal prevent seiges or ambushes from attacking you?

DFreveal can't do that, if you unpause the game while using it, it will have an effect on the HFS.

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 05:02:58 pm »

Thank you, I actually had a 5-Goblin ambush hit about 3 minutes after I put up the thread.

Now, how do you get your engravers to engrave about an ambush or siege?
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

Mimidormi

• Bay Watcher
  • Magnetite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 05:29:40 pm »

Unfortunately we don't have direct control on what's going to be engraved, yet. Dwarves also tend to engrave more often battles that happened in the region of their fortress during worldgen, coronations, elections/depositions, artifacts, masterwork crafts (even roasts), beasts/worldgen characters settling or traveling somewhere, the foundation of the fortress, the engraver's favorite deity, and only for last battles that actually happened in your fortress. If you really would like some memorial of the battle there's always mass production of statues.