Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Foundation of Arôlumum  (Read 1411 times)

underdark

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENGINEER]
    • View Profile
Foundation of Arôlumum
« on: May 29, 2011, 02:22:33 pm »

This is my first community fortress.  Comments and suggestions welcome.

This will be a (mostly) first-person dungeon fortress from the perspective of the expedition leader: 'Doc' igammorul.

Doctor's Notes of 1 Granite 251

Blast those miners!  They took one look at the maps from cartographer's guild, took them and ran off yelling incoherently about something (probably rock related, but I could swear I heard them mention cat biscuits at some point).  Normally, I would applaud such initiative amongst my staff, but then they lost those very same maps somewhere along the line.  Thankfully, we've already arrived at our new home, so we don't need them to find the place (Knowing our dwarfish sense of direction, we'd end up in the frozen south with a broken wagon or something), but I wanted them framed for my office.  Cat biscuits indeed.

While they're running off digging holes in the volcano, I've got the rest of us unloading the wagon in front of what will become the entrance to Arôlumum, the place under the dark!  I've checked with the wagon's bill of lading, everything's accounted for:

I just love turtle!

To replace those maps I wanted for my office, I drew a quick sketch of my team, the Post of Tundras, founding Arôlumum:

Current Fortress Stats

« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 03:43:57 pm by underdark »
Quote from: Captain Mayday
In any case, having a ceiling fall on you is not fun. Nor is falling through one, plummeting a few stories. Note to self: Sand can still be hard.

underdark

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENGINEER]
    • View Profile
Re: Foundation of Arôlumum
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 02:41:09 pm »

Doctor's Notes 8 Slate 251

I've got the miners digging out a space for storage and work areas.  We've found that the sandy clay loam is perfectly suited to growing crops, and I have thus designated a couple of farm areas and a seed repository.

We've moved most of the goods from the wagon.  The miners have hollowed out a space for us to store more.  We can now look into setting-up a trade depot for the eventual caravan.
In any case, having a ceiling fall on you is not fun. Nor is falling through one, plummeting a few stories. Note to self: Sand can still be hard.

underdark

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENGINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 03:00:18 pm »

Doctor's Notes 18 Felsite 251

The workshop/storage area is now complete.  Work has begun on the necessities of fortress life.

I feel the unmistakable need to party...  It is time to begin construction of a great meeting/dining/party hall!  Togas for everybody!

Joost66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 08:36:10 pm »

Wait so, Is this open for dorfing? If so, I want to be one of those miners. Make it so in the logs I like, Decided to change my name to Joost for no reason.
Hello. Have a nice day.

underdark

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENGINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 05:14:36 pm »

I knew I forgot something.  Yes, this is open to dorfing!

Let me know at least the name of a dorf you want.  Other requests (profession, male/female, etc.) will be fulfilled if stated.

Dorfs currently available(5):
  • Male Miner/Armorsmith
  • Male Carpenter/Mason/Wood Cutter
  • Male Mason/Architect
  • Female Mason/Mechanic
  • Male Grower/Brewer

Doctor's Notes 6 Malachite 251

The dining hall has been mined out, and the crew is moving some furniture there:

I was just going to grab a quick drink when one my miners runs down to me from the upper levels.  I quickly recognize him as the miner that lost the maps of this area, so I begin to run away before he loses more stuff of mine when he tackles me to the ground and proceeds (while still on top of me) to yell, repeatedly, that his name is Joost.  He then scrambled away into the depths.

I'm still trying to figure out if we had a cave-in and no one told me...

I'm going to need a stronger drink than I planned.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 05:49:23 pm by underdark »

Lafiel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 05:23:34 pm »

I count 5 :P

Anyway, I'd like the mason/architect one, gender irrelevant.  ;D

underdark

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENGINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 05:44:11 pm »

Oops, math fixed.  I'll introduce your dorf in the next notes entry.

Remaining dorfs:
  • Male Miner/Armorsmith
  • Female Mason/Mechanic
  • Male Grower/Brewer

underdark

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENGINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 06:53:20 pm »

Doctor's Notes 19 Malachite 251

Lafiel, our resident architect, and I were finalizing the design for the office/sleeping quarters:

I commended him for the efficient design and the fact that it is close to the larder and dining hall.  The meeting was going well until our woodsman burst in yelling that he saw movement to the south while he was culling trees for more wood.

I immediately order battle stations, and to prepare the magma delivery system.  That is... until Lafile informed me that we neither have a military to go to our non-existent battle stations, nor do we (yet!) have a way to delivery magma.

Cursing, I gathered what dorfs could find and led them to our entrance.  Our mechanic had already lay-ed 2 layers of stone-fall traps across the entrance.

Bravely we stood, ready to do our all to defend Arôlumum.

As the movement gets closer to our home, I decide I'm hungry and don't want to do battle on an empty stomach.  I tell the lads to hold firm: I have an idea (I never said it was an idea related to battle or defense, but I saw no need to inform them of that).

Down in the larder, I hear my fellows give a might roar and charge the front gates.  I silently raised the barrel I'm drinking out of to them as I hear the roar cut short.

With no further noise from the surface, I decide that enemy and my men had finished each other off and it is safe to return and claim victory.  I resurface expecting to see signs of battle and a massive graveyard.  I pass the trade depot only to be confronted with the one thing I wasn't expecting:

Migrants.

We appear to be joined by 5 new workers.  I quickly took a tally of what professions they had:

• Male Animal Trainer/Caretaker
  • Male Presser/Metalsmith
  • Male Stonecrafter/Siege Engineer
  • Female Gem Cutter/Setter
  • Female Metalworker

The original 6 lads give me a look, and I simply reply "I guess we won't be needing the booze bombs then?"

They proceeded to run down to the larder to see what havoc I had wrecked while they were up here.  I'm pretty sure I heard Joost muttering about cat biscuits again, but I can't be sure.  I'll need to keep an eye on him.

Currently available dorfs for adoption:
  • Male Miner/Armorsmith
  • Female Mason/Mechanic
  • Male Grower/Brewer
  • Male Animal Trainer/Caretaker
  • Male Presser/Metalsmith
  • Male Stonecrafter/Siege Engineer
  • Female Gem Cutter/Setter
  • Female Metalworker