Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 26

Author Topic: King Arthur's Gold - Now on Steam!  (Read 57580 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: King Arthur's Gold - Now on Steam!
« Reply #315 on: December 02, 2013, 12:06:52 am »

Picked this up over Thanksgiving Break, its great.  I've found the key to learning this game is figuring out how to kill other knights as a knight.  Once you can do that reliably you have some breathing room to figure out everything else without dying constantly or cowering behind the walls.

One thing I like building is a wall with stone edges around a core of wood, four blocks thick and very high, with traps around the door at the bottom.  The stone outer layer gives immunity to fire and swords, while the wood core helps against explosives.  Then it needs back walls and preferably another wall behind it, to keep the whole thing from falling if it gets cut through somehow.  Add some fortifications on top and you have something that will take a long, concerted effort to bring down.

Or, as I learned one absolutely brutal game, a single ballista positioned out of your team's reach, firing explosive arrows by the dozen.  That will take it down.  We won that game BTW, by retaliating with fire arrows to take out the balliata.  Then one brilliant knight found a single point to stick a keg that brought down the entire enemy wall at once.  We had a second layer of defenses behind our wall, they did not.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: December 02, 2013, 12:13:32 am »

Started playing in alpha and loved it. When beta arrived I tried it again and again, but just couldn't get into it and worried it wouldn't improve. Recently tried it again and can't put it down. The creators have my respect for tweaking it into a true gem. Glad to say I was wrong.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: December 02, 2013, 04:08:25 pm »

I still play it obsessively, but honestly? I don't like the changes they made to Archers.

And not just because they're less OP now, either. It's just... they used to be tactical snipers, and a skilled Archer could actually assist a knight in combat from a long range; a Knight and Archer combo absolutely destroyed everything in Alpha. But now? Archers' damage output from a range (which is where they belong) is shoddy at best, and they're even squishier than they used to be.

The only improvement they received is added mobility with the grappling hook, but honestly, the land and water speed of Knights, plus their bombjumping ability, still makes them just as mobile.

I've said this so many times on their forums, and I'll say it again here: I want to see different weapon loadouts for each class, with Archers having the option to use a longbow, which would function a lot like the bows did in Alpha (minus the long-range stun, though, because that was just OP).

I'm addicted to the grappling hook at this point, but the way I look at it, it's still sort of useless, except for getaways (which smart Alpha Archers could do anyway just by running when things got hairy). I mean, what are you supposed to do once you're on top of the enemy tower? Usually you pester a few Builders then get slashed to death by a single capable Knight; it's not really worth it to be offensive as an Archer, even though that's what the devs were going for.

I don't know what the solution is, but I feel like Skinney's Armory mod (currently in the works) which will introduce different weapon loadouts, will make me much happier.

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: December 02, 2013, 06:32:52 pm »

I prefer capture the flag out of the three modes. It's most reminiscent of Alpha, but I don't say that in the "Things were better back in my day!" sort of meaning. It's got the good stuff from alpha, like coins and freedom of building, but Beta improvements. I tried to go back and play alpha several months ago, and I just couldn't get used to it again (Everyone's so slow!).

edit:
Started playing in alpha and loved it. When beta arrived I tried it again and again, but just couldn't get into it and worried it wouldn't improve. Recently tried it again and can't put it down. The creators have my respect for tweaking it into a true gem. Glad to say I was wrong.
I know what you mean. They hit a rough patch in beta where it just wasn't as fun as it could've been. I think they really tapped a lot of that potential now.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 06:34:42 pm by coolio678 »
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: March 03, 2015, 10:24:29 am »

Is anybody still playing this? This game used to be soooo fun back in the day, and apparently it's changed a lot.

E:
Found a good EU classic server and I'm having tons of fun.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 02:59:26 pm by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: March 03, 2015, 10:52:57 am »

I tried playing yesterday. And comparint ot what used to be the game changed massively but organically.

My only gripe is that most servers seem to be in america and i'm getting a lot of lag where i live... and knight duels are nearly unplayable with 200 latency because you tend to die before you even see the other knight charging their attack... so yeah.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: March 03, 2015, 04:35:41 pm »

I sadly only got the free/classic version which the servers for it have long since died out going to paid, so I haven't played in ages. In it's heyday though it was fun as hell to play on massive servers, be a part of knight charges, kill knights as a builder or unleash hailstorms of arrows with your fellow archers.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: March 03, 2015, 04:43:54 pm »

I've got it on steam apparently, I'll try it again at somepoint.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: March 03, 2015, 05:26:11 pm »

Don't bother. Archers were nerfed to shit, the mouse cursor -> block detection is even spottier than before, there are plentiful new ways to destroy structures but none to reinforce them, and even at peak hours there's maybe two or three servers with more than ten people on.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: March 03, 2015, 05:29:51 pm »

Ah. Sounds similar to hawken then in how I'd found it in my library but the steam hub was all talk about how the dev had vanished.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: March 03, 2015, 05:30:55 pm »

Oh, no. The devs are still around and working, it's just that on most fronts the game is objectively worse than it was in alpha, with a handful of minor exceptions like the ability to rotate blocks before you place them.

3. Run Resize Enable

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: March 03, 2015, 07:03:02 pm »

Worth noting that some people prefer the way things are now. I still enjoy the current version, but preferred alpha.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: March 03, 2015, 07:35:34 pm »

I'm probably slightly biased because I mained archer, but at this point there are basically 1.5 classes. Archers are worthless after the range and power nerfs, and between kegs and drills fortifications are at best a symbolic nod to security. Even in alpha teams usually hinged on knight play, but now it's rare to see a decent team with less than 80% knights. I'm not certain, but I think they nerfed catapults too.

Hell, I've played 20+ hours in the new version and I don't think I've seen a single person die to spikes or old-fashioned bridge drop traps. I've seen more people die of drowning than of arrows.

3. Run Resize Enable

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: March 03, 2015, 08:38:48 pm »

Mostly because everyone knows how to avoid regular bridge traps and spikes now. As for archers being useless, I'm just going to assume you've not played with very skilled people, those bastards are the bane of my existence, even when I am one.

Fortifications do need to be manned though. A builder can scale any tower if they get up to one without being spotted and can termite themselves in. That, and drills are usable by builders only now, and kegs can be shot off of a knight's back by arrows...
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: March 03, 2015, 08:57:55 pm »

I'm just going to assume you haven't played archer for a long time. You can still do nice work if you have friendly knights keeping the enemy in the outer third of your range, but your range is so pitiful that it's impossible to contribute meaningfully in most situations -- either you're sitting on a tower and you get maybe two shots on attackers before they're too close for you to hit, or you're running around in the field and die as soon as somebody gets past your knights. All the stun arrows in the world don't make up for having a range that's about as long as the width of the default zoom level screen. The long and short of it is that the skill cap is lower and the class is vastly less effective; I remember being able to pull off trick shots with high-angle firing and precision ranging that are just flat out impossible with how arrows work now. Even on the smallest maps you can't manage to shoot across the no man's land between the two starting zones.

There's a reason why the maximum any half-decent team has is one archer, even for a group of 10-16 people. They've got a tiny niche where they're good, but they're vastly overshadowed even by the builder, never mind knights.

As for the notion of the combat builder actually managing that, I have only laughter. If a builder gets away with that, it's because their knights have already swept the tower clean or are skilled enough to keep defenders away.

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 26