Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tame Draltha Gone Wrong!  (Read 3744 times)

McDwarfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tame Draltha Gone Wrong!
« on: May 29, 2011, 01:28:05 pm »

Just as I earned Count status, everything falls apart. The cause? A naughty draltha!

This draltha crawled into one of the cage traps guarding my passage to the natural cavern system. I decided to change its [PET_EXOTIC] tag to [PET], thereby allowing me to tame and keep it. I then assigned it to a very nice, huge pasture on the surface. That's when the problems started.

Apparently, one of my dwarves let the draltha out of the cage to take it up, and it has just plain stopped right outside of the entrance to my storage area. It will not move, and I can't tell my military to kill it. I tried to order it slaughtered, but again, nothing happens to it. I am getting flooded with 'interrupted by stray draltha' messages because my dwarves are apparently being bothered by it.

Is there anything I can do here? Did I forget to remove a flag or something to make this work properly? Thanks!

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tame Draltha Gone Wrong!
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 02:25:13 pm »

Enemies that you "tame" can still be flagged internally as hostile. The usual explanation is that they've killed dwarfs before. I have no idea whether that's really the correct explanation or not. I hear that if you can get them to breed, the next generation should be normally tame.

If you really want to kill it, try stationing marksdwarves near it, they should auto-fire on it.

(backup all saves before trying the stuff below)

I would recommend using it as a guinea pig for experimenting with raw editing. In the save file directory, copy/paste another creatures raw definitions over the DRALTHA entry (leaving only the line [CREATURE:DRALTHA] unchanged). Try and change all Draltha to tame vermin (which should not be counted hostile), e.g. a copy of fluffy wamblers. Then reload the game and post here to tell us how that works out. :). You should now be able to put him in a animal trap, and from there back into a cage or pit. When done, go to the main raw directory of the whole game and copy the normal DRALTHA entry back into your save game.

Making him vermin for a little while might be interesting, they have different rules than other creatures, and this might just reset the "always hostile" behaviour.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 02:38:51 pm by Reelyanoob »

McDwarfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 02:39:56 pm »

Hi,

This particular draltha did kill two dwarves (it enraged) before I captured it, so that is probably the cause. I hadn't considered that possibility.

I followed your suggestion of replacing the Draltha's raw data with that of wambler. Unfortunately, doing so causes the game to crash when I try to load the save. Changing the draltha's entry back to normal fixed the crashing, but I am still left with a problematic pet.

Update: I stationed a squad of swordsmen nearby, and they proceeded to take down the draltha. So, I guess that's one solution. :)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 02:46:17 pm by McDwarfy »

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 02:48:58 pm »

I guess vermin and regular creatures cannot be transmuted then, what a shame.

I turned my dwarves into donkeys in a fortress once, so normal=>normal creature works I think, though I can't guarantee that works in any situation.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 03:04:48 pm »

I turned my dwarves into donkeys in a fortress once

So you were in charge of a whole fortress of dumb asses? Genius.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 03:07:30 pm »

Yeah for a couple of minutes while I said "wow, they are donkeys." then I changed it back :)

I'm thinking the best way to use this is to pit a whole lot of goblin captives and try and turn them into something which will breed quickly, maybe turkeys or bunnies. It will be weird if another siege turns up before I turn them back (especially if i transmute goblin mounts to bunnies).
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 03:13:24 pm by Reelyanoob »

Sidhien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 04:46:01 am »

I haven't played too much with the raws myself so i can't advise you on the details, but if you can find the draltha's melting temp and set it to something really low, that should turn it into a puddle.

Yag Alone

• Bay Watcher
  • Grumpy old fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 07:59:45 am »

"Cheating" for "cheating", you can also check http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59056.0 that may helps you to restore the allegieance of the meany beast.

("Cheating" because it's not really cheating - it's more like bug workaround....)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 08:10:56 am »

Yeah for a couple of minutes while I said "wow, they are donkeys." then I changed it back :)

You just made me think about a World Changing Event that I, as God, could enact during the next siege/ambush...

Goblin Leader with elite attack squad in tow sneaks up on the dabbling dwarven herbalist, remaining unseen until very close, then just as he announces the charge....

Kablammie!

Herbalist suddenly transmutes into a Bronze Collossus!  Hilarity ensues!.

(No, not going to do this, but it should be possible.  Indeed, it might even be possible, without even cheating, to get were-BCs with the up-coming syndromes. :) )

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 04:01:10 pm »

Yep that draltha is considered a hostile.

As for getting rid of it, may I suggest removing it's brain? Quick and easy just remove one tag there and it'll drop dead.

Wish I could finally catch me a draltha, all I get is creeping eyes, blood men and pond grabbers pestering my dwarves.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2011, 04:03:08 pm »

He already killed the Draltha, take a look

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2011, 04:06:01 pm »

Hm I should read all the replies next time