Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Games where your items level up?  (Read 5605 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: Games where your items level up?
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2011, 03:56:05 pm »

Also, Cave Story, although thats more short-term leveling over long-term grinding.
And then comes the last cave
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
which set everything back to level 1. Whoops.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2011, 03:58:34 pm »

So does the
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
. But it's pretty easy and fast to get them back up..
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2011, 04:00:18 pm »

Actually that is what I meant with "last cave". See, it's the cave's name.

But eh.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2011, 04:07:20 pm »

Oh, missed that part. Whoops! xD

Okay, I'll let this thread get back on topic now. xD
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2011, 04:59:44 pm »

Lord of the Rings Online has a legendary item system, in which the item earns experience and unlocks/powerups "legacies" in the item, with a myriad of effects (usually increasing the effectiveness of class skills somehow).

Everquest also had items which take a portion of your experience. The items usually, at least back when I played and they were first implemented, just gain more and higher stats, although sometimes the final level will add a on-equip or on-use ability to the item.

But these are MMOs. LotRO can be free and is pretty solo-friendly, but also very grindy unless you want to shell out the ~$15 a month for VIP status. The grind would be in completing the various zone 'achievements' for Turbine points, which you'd need to unlock other zones for free-play. VIP get an allowance of Turbine points per month in addition access to a lot of content without the need to spend points.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 05:04:10 pm by Niveras »

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2011, 07:01:11 pm »

Some Nippon Ichi games have this. Ever clobbered one with a high level fish?

What about Cave Story?  Ten (or so) weapons, each of which can level up twice and level down with damage.  The character doesn't level up but does gain health over the course of the game.  Not really an rpg though so I don't know if this counts.
Except for the nemesis which levels DOWN and the SPUR which sneers at the concept of levelling up.

Played Phantom Brave, Makai Kingdom, Disgaea 1&2 and Cave Story to death. Love them all.

I should have actually used Phantom Brave as my primary example. Not only can you level up items and weapons, but also anything that you can just sort of hold above your head (which is to say anything you find scattered around the levels) can gain ability points and abilities. You could also customize any item by fusing it with other items. Or characters :(

Besides weapons you can rune and enchant (most diablo-likes), and linear scaling in various RPGs (DAII has it for example), I haven't encountered this a lot in rpg's. I would indeed love more customizable/upgradeble weapons beyond choosing the type of dmg they do.

Also FFXIII (maybe some earlier versions, but I haven't played those) has an extensive system to upgrade and level your weapons. But I cannot recommend the game itself. Maybe going through the upgrade FAQ ticks your boxes: http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/928790-final-fantasy-xiii/faqs/59357

I agree completely with the first party. It's just a concept I really like.

Also, if I can bribe my bro (who has an X360) into getting Final Fantasy XIII as a Gamefly rental then that's absolutely on my playlist!

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I don't play video games all that often so when I do I create a topic like this or just ask people to find a game that is fundamentally interesting.

Comp112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2011, 07:05:15 pm »

FF13 can be had used for, I think $20. So that may be another option for you.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2011, 07:06:27 pm »

The Tales games have an item that essentially levels up.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2011, 07:13:14 pm »

The Tales games have an item that essentially levels up.

But they are (usually) great enough to warrant me playing them even without something interesting like this. Probably my third favorite game series.

Lord of the Rings Online has a legendary item system, in which the item earns experience and unlocks/powerups "legacies" in the item, with a myriad of effects (usually increasing the effectiveness of class skills somehow).

Everquest also had items which take a portion of your experience. The items usually, at least back when I played and they were first implemented, just gain more and higher stats, although sometimes the final level will add a on-equip or on-use ability to the item.

But these are MMOs. LotRO can be free and is pretty solo-friendly, but also very grindy unless you want to shell out the ~$15 a month for VIP status. The grind would be in completing the various zone 'achievements' for Turbine points, which you'd need to unlock other zones for free-play. VIP get an allowance of Turbine points per month in addition access to a lot of content without the need to spend points.

Spiral Knights, although it is one of your hated MMORPGs.

I don't have anything against MMO's in particular (except for what's stated below), just that I don't generally have a lot of spending money that I'm not using for important things to blow on MMO's. But what really irks me about them is not the social aspect (that's one of the best parts) but what was mentioned above. The largest percentile of them are just fake "free" games where to get an edge you have to "buy VIP status" or "renew your membership" or buy something from their "stores" or yadda yadda. I don't hold a grudge for them doing this (MMO's obviously cost bandwidth and other things to maintain and let people play, so they have to make money somehow!) but I just don't usually have the money for that. And about the time I start enjoying an MMO is when I feel really limited without spending the money that I shouldn't be spending on an MMO, enjoy it or not, in the first place.

I really wish the job market wasn't so awful where I live.

Back on track when I do play an MMO someday I'll keep those in mind. LotRO has always sounded like a blast, especially with a party. Thanks again for suggestions!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 07:15:34 pm by freeformschooler »

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2011, 09:12:47 pm »

Well if it helps, the aforementioned MMO, Spiral Knights, is completely free. there is an in-game currency you can buy with real money... or you can earn it yourself through play.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2011, 06:22:50 am »

Oh, the Chicken Knife and the Brave Blade from Final Fantasy 5 might count too.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2011, 06:29:07 am »

Well if it helps, the aforementioned MMO, Spiral Knights, is completely free. there is an in-game currency you can buy with real money... or you can earn it yourself through play.
Indeed. Although I can admit that you can do things much faster if you buy it. In the end though, theres no other difference. You can do everything with or without paying; it just takes longer if you dont.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2011, 06:45:34 am »

Oh, the Chicken Knife and the Brave Blade from Final Fantasy 5 might count too.

Chicken knife became so OP if you used it long enough. Shame about the random effect though.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2011, 07:36:02 am »

Spiral Knights is quite easy to play for free until you need to craft your teir 3 or higher weapons. Then you have to skip playing for a day to get the nice stuff :( (Or play less over a few days and save up the crystal energy...)

Otherwise it's a great example.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2011, 10:23:48 am »

Technically, in the Forza Motorsport series, your cars (items in your garage) level up, unlocking discounts on upgrades and the like. It also increases money won. Dunno if you're into racing games though.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.
Pages: 1 [2] 3