Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Games where your items level up?  (Read 5602 times)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Games where your items level up?
« on: May 29, 2011, 11:20:55 am »

Heh. The grinder in me has been wanting to play a new game -- preferably an RPG -- where not only does your character(s) level up, but also the items they're using. I've found a couple like this and enjoy the idea considerably.

Examples:

-Disgaea (obviously)
-Din's curse (not so obvious, "ego" items have their max damage increased with use)
-One other that I can't remember the name of

I realize it's a pretty rare concept, but who else can think of an RPG-like game with this in it?

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Games where your items level up?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 11:26:18 am »

I came in to say Dark Cloud as well. I *think* Rogue Galaxy does something similar.
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 11:34:52 am »

I always meant to play that game... at least I did until my PS2 broke a year ago :( thanks for the suggestions though.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 11:38:27 am »

Fable 3 has this. You have your basic weapons, for which you unlock upgrades by advancing the story and then buy those upgrades with experience points, and you have your unique weapons that each have 3 upgrades that require you to perform specific tasks.

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 11:45:07 am »

Although it's not an RPG, Ratchet and Clank 2 did this brilliantly.
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 11:46:56 am »

Mabinogi weapons(and armor) gain Proficiency as they used(which is tied to the weapon itself, not the user), and weapons with maxed Proficiency(along with at most of its original max durability) can be made into Spirit Weapon, which have more ways of leveling/powering up.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 11:51:41 am »

Mabinogi weapons(and armor) gain Proficiency as they used(which is tied to the weapon itself, not the user), and weapons with maxed Proficiency(along with at most of its original max durability) can be made into Spirit Weapon, which have more ways of leveling/powering up.

ffff MMORPGs

I avoid them like the plague but I may end up giving this one a shot. It looks pretty fun I guess.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 11:53:52 am »

daikatana.

the sword leveled up.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 01:17:21 pm »

Spiral Knights, although it is one of your hated MMORPGs.

Wravburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2011, 01:22:25 pm »

Besides weapons you can rune and enchant (most diablo-likes), and linear scaling in various RPGs (DAII has it for example), I haven't encountered this a lot in rpg's. I would indeed love more customizable/upgradeble weapons beyond choosing the type of dmg they do.

Also FFXIII (maybe some earlier versions, but I haven't played those) has an extensive system to upgrade and level your weapons. But I cannot recommend the game itself. Maybe going through the upgrade FAQ ticks your boxes: http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/928790-final-fantasy-xiii/faqs/59357
League of Legends
EU-west: Wash

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2011, 01:29:24 pm »

What about Cave Story?  Ten (or so) weapons, each of which can level up twice and level down with damage.  The character doesn't level up but does gain health over the course of the game.  Not really an rpg though so I don't know if this counts.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2011, 01:34:41 pm »

Some Nippon Ichi games have this. Ever clobbered one with a high level fish?

What about Cave Story?  Ten (or so) weapons, each of which can level up twice and level down with damage.  The character doesn't level up but does gain health over the course of the game.  Not really an rpg though so I don't know if this counts.
Except for the nemesis which levels DOWN and the SPUR which sneers at the concept of levelling up.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2011, 01:54:48 pm »

If a flash game is an option:
Epic Battle Fantasy 3

Someone mentioned it on these boards actually. It's rather fun. And has a fair bit of play time for a flash game.

The previous two games are far simpler, nothing like the full blown RPG this one is.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2011, 02:21:56 pm »

Vagrant Story had a pretty good system for this IIRC.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2011, 03:54:57 pm »

Hmm, if you don't mind MMOs, zOMG allows you to get charge orbs which are used to level up your 'rings' (the weapons in the game. You can hold 8 of them at a time, and interchange them at will for different skillsets).

Also, Cave Story, although thats more short-term leveling over long-term grinding.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.
Pages: [1] 2 3