Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Golden axe  (Read 6483 times)

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Golden axe
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2011, 01:21:51 pm »

It may be useful against plant cloth, leather, wood, and bone/shell armor, but even silver is a stronger material than gold. The chopping attack of an axe has too large a contact area to be useful as a can opener, and a pommel strike and flat slap are both very poor blunt attacks. Against anything with metal armor, it would be lucky to do anything, but you might occasionally hit an unprotected limb.
Unless you use the Fortress Defense mod, not that many invaders have heavy armor.
You'll have to provide warm, moist kittens at the end of each test chamber.
Dwarf Fortress:
Where 9% of your town is casualties, is good.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2011, 01:23:09 pm »

It may be useful against plant cloth, leather, wood, and bone/shell armor, but even silver is a stronger material than gold. The chopping attack of an axe has too large a contact area to be useful as a can opener, and a pommel strike and flat slap are both very poor blunt attacks. Against anything with metal armor, it would be lucky to do anything, but you might occasionally hit an unprotected limb.
Unless you use the Fortress Defense mod, not that many invaders have heavy armor.
It's still an underperformer compared to other, more regular weapons.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2011, 01:24:48 pm »

Artifact bonus. Test it in the field, and even if it's an underperformer, it's still A weapon.
Dwarf Fortress:

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2011, 01:27:25 pm »

A golden axe?? Name your best axedwarf Gilius Thunderhead and give it to him. Only awesome can result.
must get dosbox!

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2011, 01:28:44 pm »

Isn't artifact bonus only 1.5x masterwork though? I doubt that's enough to put it on par with a masterful bronze battle axe. Well, until OP reports his experiences this will all be conjecture.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2011, 01:32:32 pm »

Indeed. And even if it turns out to be worse than a masterwork bronze axe, it can still be put in a weapon trap, etc.
Dwarf Fortress:

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2011, 01:38:23 pm »

Isn't artifact bonus only 1.5x masterwork though? I doubt that's enough to put it on par with a masterful bronze battle axe. Well, until OP reports his experiences this will all be conjecture.

Bonus to what? The old damage bonuses don't apply anymore. An artifact gains a slight to-hit bonus over a masterpiece, but it's not a whole lot.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2011, 01:44:46 pm »

Artifact weapons are, for all intents and purposes, considered regular weapons.  Do not assume "this is an artifact, it is more powerful".  It's just more expensive, is all.  The combat bonuses are so slight as to be null compared to material differences.

As I said, use it as a ceremonial weapon or room decoration.  For your real blood and grit warfare, go with steel.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2011, 02:36:26 pm »

Bonus to what? The old damage bonuses don't apply anymore. An artifact gains a slight to-hit bonus over a masterpiece, but it's not a whole lot.

In older versions, quality had much more sway over effectiveness than material. Now, it's the other way around. However, that isn't to say quality means nothing. It increases the effectiveness of armor slightly. For any weapon (not sure about ammunition, though) it affects accuracy of the attack, and for edged weapons it also helps determine how sharp it is. This is if what I read is accurate.

In recent versions, a weapon made of a better material will almost always trump one of poorer material, regardless of the difference in quality levels.

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2011, 02:37:19 pm »

I'm guessing addy training swords vs. Gold shortswords are the exception?
Dwarf Fortress:

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2011, 02:43:17 pm »

Training swords are made of wood.  Addy training sword is impossible.  Thus, I accuse you of being an elf.

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2011, 02:47:32 pm »

I cite my beard as proof that I'm not an elf and raise you a magma cannon to the face. Also, you forgot moods.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 02:56:45 pm by Sarda »
Dwarf Fortress:

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2011, 02:56:38 pm »

I see your magma cannon, and raise you one -cat leather sock-

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2011, 02:57:48 pm »

Is it claimed?
Dwarf Fortress:

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2011, 03:04:19 pm »

*runs her finger lightly down the side, starting from the well-crafted hem down to the blunt, rounded heel, her finger tracing over the thick, rough, leather tube of joy* No... Not yet...
Pages: 1 [2] 3