Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Golden axe  (Read 6494 times)

Sallen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Golden axe
« on: May 29, 2011, 09:04:21 am »

I got a gold battle axe artifact worth 160,800 dwarfbucks. Is gold a good material for weapons? I am tempted to sell it, but I don't want to if it's at least a decent weapon.

I have no idea who Litast Rainedcanyon is. He/she's not in my fortress and it's not a noble from any known civ. Is there a way of checking the legends while still having an active fortress?

EDIT: She was the previous general of my mother civ.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 10:26:20 pm by Sallen »

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Golden axe
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 09:09:29 am »

Create a backup of the save folder and then abandon fortress. Read legends, then rewind.

Gold makes excellent blunt weapons, but an axe is mostly an edged weapon.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 09:11:09 am »

You can't sell artifacts.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Sallen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 09:13:39 am »

You can't sell artifacts.

Oh well. I'm off to see who this engraved hero is then!

EDIT: A forgotten beast just killed itself. Slammed into an obstacle. Upper and lower body, all four limbs and head sailing off in an arc. Apparently caused by its own cloud of boiling extract... :o

EDIT 2: Litast Rainedcanyon was a former general of my civ's capital. Nothing specially epic, but interesting nevertheless.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 09:21:07 am by Sallen »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 09:22:37 am »

EDIT: A forgotten beast just killed itself. Slammed into an obstacle. Upper and lower body, all four limbs and head sailing off in an arc. Apparently caused by its own cloud of boiling extract... :o
There's a certain type of breath/dust attack that causes a creature to smash itself into a wall, [UNDIRECTED_DUST].
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 09:29:29 am »

on the item is an image of Litas Rainedcanyon the dwarf in horse bone.

Seriously.. what the hell??

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 09:47:10 am »

The artifact gold shortsword on of my militia captains is using seems to work quite well, quite well indeed.

I say hand it out and let it go to work!
That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.

Sallen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 10:03:04 am »

I will wait to have a decent squad and assign it to my most fearsome axedorf then!

on the item is an image of Litas Rainedcanyon the dwarf in horse bone.

Seriously.. what the hell??

Badass general Litast + violent horse hordes. Forging that was an equine violence deterrent measure I guess.

There's also a female dwarf engraving images of her lover all over the fortress xD I love this game.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 10:05:29 am by Sallen »

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 11:34:36 am »

Gold is probably the worst material for an edged weapon, being heavy and malleable. You can probably cave some heads in with its pommel, though, but a masterful silver war hammer should perform better for that. Or at least that's the way I understand how weapons work.

On second thought, it might do okay against unarmored enemies.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 11:36:10 am by kotekzot »
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2011, 11:58:32 am »

I would declare it a ceremonial weapon.  Once a year, put your duke or other highest ranking dwarf in some leather armor and gold axe, and have him slay a goblin prisoner in the arena.

Or, build it into a weapon trap.  That way it counts towards room value and you can get any room to legendary status instantly.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2011, 11:58:56 am »

According to the wiki, a slashing attack that doesn't penetrate armor becomes a blunt attack, so gold might actually be useful in that regard. And I think axes have a contact area that lends itself well to a bludgeon attack, but I'm not sure.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2011, 12:09:37 pm »

According to the wiki, a slashing attack that doesn't penetrate armor becomes a blunt attack, so gold might actually be useful in that regard. And I think axes have a contact area that lends itself well to a bludgeon attack, but I'm not sure.
Ah, I forgot about attack blunting. Large contact area actually makes blunt weapons worse, though. Bruising the muscle is okay, but breaking the bone is better.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2011, 12:28:50 pm »

i think golden axe is quite okay. it's heavy, it's sharp, it definitely can cut leather, cloth, muscle and bone. maybe it'll glance of iron breastplate here or there, but hey, it's an artifact, it's awesome

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2011, 12:50:04 pm »

It may be useful against plant cloth, leather, wood, and bone/shell armor, but even silver is a stronger material than gold. The chopping attack of an axe has too large a contact area to be useful as a can opener, and a pommel strike and flat slap are both very poor blunt attacks. Against anything with metal armor, it would be lucky to do anything, but you might occasionally hit an unprotected limb.

zephyr_hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2011, 01:01:13 pm »

A golden axe?? Name your best axedwarf Gilius Thunderhead and give it to him. Only awesome can result.
Soapmaker? Looking for a fort to migrate to? Come to Ubenudil! Lush tropical climate, friendly neighbors, rumors of terrifying curse on the land entirely unfounded. Probably.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=85057.0
This message brought to you by the Soapmaker's Guild of Isakudil.
Pages: [1] 2 3