Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magma Pump  (Read 613 times)

WagonWheel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Magma Pump
« on: May 28, 2011, 03:32:02 pm »

Recently I have found a magma pipe underground,but it is still to low and I want it higher to go to my smithing area. I understand pumps and how they work with water and I assume they work the same way with magma. But I read that if any part of it is wood it will burst into flames. I have glass to make it out of but what material do you make the corkscrew out of? And I know it can cause a lot of lag if you don't make the improved magma stack pump, what is the improved magma stack pump?

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
Re: Magma Pump
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 03:34:07 pm »

The only possible magma-safe corkscrews (short of moods, of course) are iron, steel, candy, and possibly nether-caps. (the ☼jury☼ is still out on whether those are properly magma-safe) ... Actually, I think you can make glass corkscrews as well, but I'm not sure...

The improved magma pump stack has a 3x3 reservoir at each level, reducing the number of temperature calculations.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 03:35:39 pm by billybobfred »
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 03:49:51 pm »

You can make all the components out of green glass. Also make sure the intake tile in the improved stack draws from the center of 9-tile reserviors per floor, so the walls never have to temp recalculate.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

utuki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 03:54:06 pm »

You can make glass corkscrews, pump stack lag doesnt matter if you just want to bring magma to pumps or fill moat once. Improved pump stack takes much longer to build. And usually any non-wood material works (or nether-caps(yes they work even as undermagma axels i tested them)) for pumps unless they get submerged.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 06:07:59 pm »

And usually any non-wood material works for pumps unless they get submerged.

Are you absolutely certain about that? There have been reports that non-submerged screw pumps will melt even when unsubmerged if they happen to use a magma-unsafe stone block...
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

utuki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 06:31:26 pm »

And usually any non-wood material works for pumps unless they get submerged.

Are you absolutely certain about that? There have been reports that non-submerged screw pumps will melt even when unsubmerged if they happen to use a magma-unsafe stone block...
Yeah i heard about unsafe blocks too but other components are safe. It probably depends on melting temperature, pump is supposed to heat to 10,075 urist.  And it probably wont melt right away so it should be enough for forges :D

WagonWheel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 09:05:00 pm »

Thanks for all the help! And another question totally unrelated, but I have a legendary cook making roasts because of all the execess food I have, why are all the dwarves eating literally everything else but the roasts? Most have gone rotten at this point.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 09:15:20 pm »

Try putting a food stockpile next to your dining room. Your dwarves probably think the roasts are too far away to bother grabbing, then taking back to the hall to nom on.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

WagonWheel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 09:29:05 pm »

I don't think that's it though, the farm area is 4 z-levels up and the food is about 20 steps away from where the table is.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2011, 09:43:08 pm »

Z-levles up a stairway only count as 1 step. So, farms or raw plant storage 4 floors up and 5 steps from the stairs on both ends would only be 14 steps.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2011, 01:37:11 am »

Thanks for all the help! And another question totally unrelated, but I have a legendary cook making roasts because of all the execess food I have, why are all the dwarves eating literally everything else but the roasts? Most have gone rotten at this point.

Probably only the cook likes the ingredients of these roasts. My dwarves have access to all kind of roasts, and many of them prefer prepared organs or raw vegetables over prepared meals. They would eat them if given no choice, so don't worry, they won't starve themselves.

zephyr_hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2011, 05:53:05 am »

Have you checked the roasts to see if they're owned by someone? Military are often the guilty party if they're set to carry food: they'll claim every roast in the fort and never eat them.
Soapmaker? Looking for a fort to migrate to? Come to Ubenudil! Lush tropical climate, friendly neighbors, rumors of terrifying curse on the land entirely unfounded. Probably.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=85057.0
This message brought to you by the Soapmaker's Guild of Isakudil.