Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Realistic all-male fortress?  (Read 9882 times)

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
Re: Realistic all-male fortress?
« Reply #60 on: June 01, 2011, 02:03:09 am »

LOLWUT it was proven a long time ago that females are much less tolerant towards pain.

Citation, please.

i wont bother looking up sources to back someone elses argument, but yes, women having a higher pain threshold is a myth, according to studies women in general have higher pain sensibility and lower threshold, and redheads even more, to the point of requiring a 20 percent higher dose of anesthesics to not feel an electrical shock

Skelephant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 01, 2011, 10:52:38 am »

I was wrong, here's an article:

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=51160

(one would think that women would have a higher pain tolerance, what with having to deal with childbirth, but apparently not. :P)

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 01, 2011, 11:16:12 am »

(one would think that women would have a higher pain tolerance, what with having to deal with childbirth, but apparently not. :P)

How would having a higher pain tolerance affect childbrith? The damage from childbirth is going to occur whether you feel it or not. Having a lower tolerance might even be better, as it means that the woman would spend more time recovering and recuperating, instead of returning to normal life and potentially doing even more damage to herself, if she is not fully healed.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 01, 2011, 11:17:25 am »

i think they actually produce some natural anesthesics during pregnancy, though nowhere near enough to help them with childbirth

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 01, 2011, 12:59:28 pm »

Women and children are shorter and therefore more suited to working in mines.
DWARVES ARE THE ULTIMATE SPECIES!

Anyways, this thread has been derailed :P

Kate Wissen

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Engineer
    • View Profile
    • http://katewissen.blogspot.com/
« Reply #65 on: June 01, 2011, 06:14:14 pm »

I was expecting to be flamed, honestly. Thanks for all these suggestions!

You will never be flamed for asking a question here. Even if it's something that's clearly a straight-to-wiki question. In fact you will get the answer, a meme, something else you never knew, spark a debate and it's 90% certain that at some point Necro will come flying in with a magma reference.

We're still waiting for the magma reference Necro.
Check out my current Community Fortress LostPages.

One day I hope to create the Monkey Torture Chamber of Doom!

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 01, 2011, 06:41:07 pm »

You will never be flamed for asking a question here. Even if it's something that's clearly a straight-to-wiki question. In fact you will get the answer, a meme, something else you never knew, spark a debate and it's 90% certain that at some point Necro will come flying in with a magma reference.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 01, 2011, 06:51:32 pm »

Oh, huh? Right!

i think they actually produce some natural anesthesics during pregnancy, though nowhere near enough to help them with childbirth
MAGMAAAAAA

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 02, 2011, 07:01:54 am »

Physically Inferior is definitely an insult. I find it incredibly offensive, as well as appalling (but unfortunately not surprising) that this attitude has made it to this forum.

It was a place where I could feel accepted and safe. Now I find myself under attack even here, simply for being female.

I thought better of the people who play this game.

Women and men are different physically, but there is so much variance in skills and strength that I do not believe that one can be called 'better' than the other. There are strong and weak females as there are strong and weak males - and even those weak in sheer physical force can be exceedingly flexible, dexterous or have above average hand-eye coordination.

Unfortunately I also know that nothing will change closed minds, but I couldn't just let this sit here with its blatant sexism and female-bashing without stepping forward and defending myself.
So Ledi's been training the cats into an army of disposable warbeasts?  Why did no-one think of this sooner?!
Hellcannon seemed to be constantly on the verge of death and Levergedon before my turn helped, but ultimately what killed it was Ledi's cat army.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 02, 2011, 07:24:09 am »

It was a place where I could feel accepted and safe. Now I find myself under attack even here, simply for being female.
Wow if that's not an over-reaction.  ???

How can you know, how can you realize this;
Women and men are different physically, but there is so much variance in skills and strength that I do not believe that one can be called 'better' than the other. There are strong and weak females as there are strong and weak males - and even those weak in sheer physical force can be exceedingly flexible, dexterous or have above average hand-eye coordination.

and still consider the general truth that women on average are weaker than men on average as 'an insult, incredibly offensive and appalling' ? Men are, physically, on average, stronger than women are. Hence why sporting events are divided along gender. But this doesn't matter. Persons should be judged on their personal flaws and merits, not on what combination of dangly bits they might and might not have.

And yeah, sure, anyone you disagree with is close minded, isn't that something.  :(

A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Endiqua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 02, 2011, 07:51:20 am »

To say that a person is "inferior" (whatever qualification might be used) is insulting.  I'm not particularly worked up by the topic myself, but I admit there's been some eye-rolling on my part, especially at statements like the "guarantee" that there are no female miners. 

As an aside, some of the best piano movers I've known were the "smaller and weaker" women who came up with smart ways to deal with the mass involved.  Physical strength and coordination ain't everything, not by a long shot, but yeah, generally speaking, females and males are different in their physical attributes.  Notice I said "different."  I'll be damned if I'm going to consider any male "superior" (or myself "inferior") just because he can do some things better than I can; after all, I do a much better job at producing an infant (who's now 3, heaven help me).  :P

I've always been fairly impressed by this forum's attitude towards female members, though, overall.  There's a lot less leering and "nudge nudge wink wink" than other places I've been. 
DF sets out a challenge to us with no explanation and no assistance, and each time we fail it becomes more merciless, but we continue in the hopes that we can show it, "See?  I'm doing good, right?  I kept the little men alive!  You're proud of me, right?"

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 02, 2011, 07:54:07 am »

Yeah, the whole 'physically inferior' thing is just a quick and clumsy way of saying that your average woman has less muscle mass than your average man. It's awkward phrasing at worst, not actual sexism... well, the premise of the thread somewhat is, but none of that's meant to be taken seriously. :)

I've always been fairly impressed by this forum's attitude towards female members, though, overall.  There's a lot less leering and "nudge nudge wink wink" than other places I've been.

This. One thing that amazed me about this forum was how many female members were being open about their gender... on certain others they would avoid that because of all the 'hur, hur, ur a grl rigt? wanna cyber?' creepiness apparently going around.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 08:02:46 am by Dyret »

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 02, 2011, 07:59:53 am »

Physically Inferior is definitely an insult. I find it incredibly offensive, as well as appalling (but unfortunately not surprising) that this attitude has made it to this forum.

I thought better of the people who play this game.

Unfortunately I also know that nothing will change closed minds, but I couldn't just let this sit here with its blatant sexism and female-bashing without stepping forward and defending myself.

Well, you're entitled to your own opinion. However keep in mind that "superior physically" neither means "superior every single time in every aspect" nor "superior human being". Really, I'm probably one of the strongest supporters of gender equality possible yet still, our bodies aren't determined by social idealism but biological reality. And no amount of sugarcoating can unfortunaletly change this and I'm a firm believer in saying what I believe is the straightforward truth instead of being politically correct.
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 02, 2011, 08:09:02 am »

This. One thing that amazed me about this forum was how many female members were being open about their gender... on certain others they would avoid that because of all the 'hur, hur, ur a grl rigt? wanna cyber?' creepiness apparently going around.
I agree, though have to add that all the three forums I visit (this one, the Taleworlds one and the Complaintss part of the DevianArt forums though that last one is boring and frustrating) are quite reasonable in regards to gender. Maybe I just pick my internet-hangouts well. :P
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 02, 2011, 08:51:36 am »

To say that a person is "inferior" (whatever qualification might be used) is insulting.  I'm not particularly worked up by the topic myself, but I admit there's been some eye-rolling on my part, especially at statements like the "guarantee" that there are no female miners. 

As an aside, some of the best piano movers I've known were the "smaller and weaker" women who came up with smart ways to deal with the mass involved.  Physical strength and coordination ain't everything, not by a long shot, but yeah, generally speaking, females and males are different in their physical attributes.  Notice I said "different."  I'll be damned if I'm going to consider any male "superior" (or myself "inferior") just because he can do some things better than I can; after all, I do a much better job at producing an infant (who's now 3, heaven help me).  :P

Yup, summed it up better than I could. I was the mixed-gender field hockey team's most feared player for two years, after all. The team included guys who were two years older and about half a foot taller than me. I am not going to consider myself inferior to a male, no matter how much preaching about it they do. I have enough self-esteem issues as it is, and the whole 'women should be in the kitchen' attitude just smurfs me right off. That's the closed-mindedness I rally against.

Mythbusters had fun with the whole pain tolerance thing. Women had much higher tolerance than men, and redheads beat out non-redheads. I know that it's not an overly scientific show, but it was a randomly chosen set of fit individuals that were tested.
So Ledi's been training the cats into an army of disposable warbeasts?  Why did no-one think of this sooner?!
Hellcannon seemed to be constantly on the verge of death and Levergedon before my turn helped, but ultimately what killed it was Ledi's cat army.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7