Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Realistic all-male fortress?  (Read 9881 times)

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Realistic all-male fortress?
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2011, 05:16:29 pm »

Don't think of it as a fortress.
Think of it more like.. a settlement.
Because that's what a Dwarven fortress basically is.
Besides this rather obvious point it seems to me that fortresses would have been stuffed with women. A busy fortress needs a lot of cooking, cleaning, washing, bandaging and whoring and stuff. These things were all regarded as typically female for quite a while in history, so if you look at human, irl, history a fortress without women would be more unlikely than one with. Not to mention that a fortress would be a convenient place to stuff camp followers while the army does battle.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2011, 05:53:26 pm »

What you should do:

a) generate world as normal
B) after world generation, go into raws, go to female caste, remove FEMALE tag and add MALE
c) Wonder if your dwarves will now engage in some good ol' same sex lovin'
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2011, 06:33:39 pm »

What the fuck? There's enough female-male sexism anyway, we don't need to increase the male-female sexism. Slaughter some elves instead.
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2011, 09:20:16 pm »

What the fuck? There's enough female-male sexism anyway, we don't need to increase the male-female sexism. Slaughter some elves instead.
Somebody is taking this too seriously.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2011, 05:41:59 am »

It's not sexism, he just wants to create a dwarven gay bar. :D

That said, slaughtering Elves is always a good idea.

Or perhaps it's not really a Dwarf Fortress, but a Dwarf Mancave, (No Girls allowed).

gzoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2011, 07:10:36 am »

I wanted big clans, and i was annoyed by inbreeding.
I edited the raws this way:
[POP_RATIO:1] for female caste, [POP_RATIO:49] for male caste, in creature_standard.txt
This gives me one female dwarf for every fifty male. I changed their maxage too so they live longer then the average dwarf.
Active Interactions: RAIDER_MADNESS

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2011, 08:13:29 pm »

Swap those numbers and have the happiest male dwarf in existence. :D

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2011, 08:45:01 pm »

It's not sexism, he just wants to create a dwarven gay bar. :D

That said, slaughtering Elves is always a good idea.

Or perhaps it's not really a Dwarf Fortress, but a Dwarf Mancave, (No Girls allowed).

YOU HAVE TO ACTUALLY CALL IT THE MANCAVE! GOD DAMN, that's fantastic.
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured

Befenismor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2011, 01:12:53 am »

Okay maybe not all-male. BUt still, there should be way more male dwarves in fortresses then females. Every time I see a female mason I'm like WHUOT.
1024: You brag about your golden goblin ejaculator.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2011, 01:15:35 am »

Okay maybe not all-male. BUt still, there should be way more male dwarves in fortresses then females. Every time I see a female mason I'm like WHUOT.

Your ethnocentrism is showing.

Seriously though, what the hell is wrong with a female mason? It's not as if we're even talking about humans here, for crying out loud. It's bad enough you have kneejerk reactions to females in "masculine" professions, but you're doing it regarding dwarves, of all things. For all we know they don't even have sexual dimorphism except for the beard issue (and currently in-game there's no sexual dimorphism at all).
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Befenismor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2011, 01:21:19 am »

I guess my image of a dwarven society is different from yours.
1024: You brag about your golden goblin ejaculator.

Kate Wissen

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Engineer
    • View Profile
    • http://katewissen.blogspot.com/
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2011, 01:41:06 am »

I find it interesting that this has become at all controversial. I doubt that Befenismor was making any intentional slights against women. To me this looked like he was asking for roleplaying purposes. I applaud all efforts toward adding roleplay in games.

He has his beliefs on what roles should be awarded to what genders and that is entirely his right to hold those opinions, regardless of how they differ from yours or mine.

In the end he asked a question of this forum: How would you get one specific gender of dwarves for a fortress. This question has been answered. I doubt we'll change his mind as to whether or not there should be, oh say, female engineers. =)
Check out my current Community Fortress LostPages.

One day I hope to create the Monkey Torture Chamber of Doom!

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2011, 01:46:11 am »

No, you are trying to deconstruct the utopian Egalitarianist model of glorious communism.

females in dwarf society should be able to do anything a male can do.

They should especially just be equal in working in the kitchen or cleaning the vomit off the floor and probably not stray too far from those duties.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2011, 01:49:16 am »

I find it interesting that this has become at all controversial. I doubt that Befenismor was making any intentional slights against women. To me this looked like he was asking for roleplaying purposes. I applaud all efforts toward adding roleplay in games.

He has his beliefs on what roles should be awarded to what genders and that is entirely his right to hold those opinions, regardless of how they differ from yours or mine.

In the end he asked a question of this forum: How would you get one specific gender of dwarves for a fortress. This question has been answered. I doubt we'll change his mind as to whether or not there should be, oh say, female engineers. =)

I think like you, but to be absolutely sure someone may ask him if there should be, say, female suicide squads. (I'm thinking about miners with the last mission involving a huge cave in of course) ;)

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2011, 01:55:55 am »

i generally don't discriminate against women in the other professions, but i don't usually recruit women for the army, and when i do, it's because they've got some useful skills they can teach the rest of the guys. we don't need sexism for sexism's sake, but to have dwarven mothers bring their children to battle with them completely breaks immersion
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7