Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Realistic all-male fortress?  (Read 9869 times)

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Realistic all-male fortress?
« Reply #75 on: June 02, 2011, 10:05:36 am »

Yup, summed it up better than I could. I was the mixed-gender field hockey team's most feared player for two years, after all. The team included guys who were two years older and about half a foot taller than me. I am not going to consider myself inferior to a male, no matter how much preaching about it they do. I have enough self-esteem issues as it is, and the whole 'women should be in the kitchen' attitude just smurfs me right off. That's the closed-mindedness I rally against.

You aren't inferior by any means! You say yourself that you we're better then some males in your sportsteam bigger and older then you. So you likely beat them by other factors then physical ones, which is however what we're arguing here. If those bigger and older males had shown the same intelligence, technique, intuition and/or agression, whichever factors made you the superior player, you'd have to agree that they would likely beat you then?
Why tell us about the "bigger and older males" if it would really have no relevance whatsoever?

Mythbusters had fun with the whole pain tolerance thing. Women had much higher tolerance than men, and redheads beat out non-redheads. I know that it's not an overly scientific show, but it was a randomly chosen set of fit individuals that were tested.

Well, sounds like nonsense. Google Scholar isn't the best of scienticfic sources, but it's a hell more reliable then mythbusters. First link it gave out:
http://www.psychosomaticmedicine.org/content/34/6/548.short
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 10:10:25 am by Number4 »
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

Aequor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 02, 2011, 10:16:59 am »

What is up with all these gender threads recently? Was there some memo I wasn't given?
[USE_GOOD_REASON:UNTHINKABLE]

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 02, 2011, 12:07:18 pm »

You aren't inferior by any means! You say yourself that you we're better then some males in your sportsteam bigger and older then you. So you likely beat them by other factors then physical ones, which is however what we're arguing here. If those bigger and older males had shown the same intelligence, technique, intuition and/or agression, whichever factors made you the superior player, you'd have to agree that they would likely beat you then?
Why tell us about the "bigger and older males" if it would really have no relevance whatsoever?

To point out that I was physically more powerful, more aggressive and stronger than they were. I actually was - I had the most powerful long-range hit of the team. It was the physical factors I beat them on. They may have been taller and older, but in physical strength I was actually not the 'inferior physical being' that women are being stereotyped as in this thread.
So Ledi's been training the cats into an army of disposable warbeasts?  Why did no-one think of this sooner?!
Hellcannon seemed to be constantly on the verge of death and Levergedon before my turn helped, but ultimately what killed it was Ledi's cat army.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 02, 2011, 12:08:52 pm »

To point out that I was physically more powerful, more aggressive and stronger than they were. I actually was - I had the most powerful long-range hit of the team. It was the physical factors I beat them on. They may have been taller and older, but in physical strength I was actually not the 'inferior physical being' that women are being stereotyped as in this thread.
Do you know what the word "average" means? It has nothing to do with you and a bunch of guys.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 02, 2011, 12:25:37 pm »

Do you know what the word "average" means? It has nothing to do with you and a bunch of guys.

That was not the point of that last reply. It was to correct the blatant misinformation that was assumed in the sentence fragment; "So you likely beat them by other factors then physical ones".
So Ledi's been training the cats into an army of disposable warbeasts?  Why did no-one think of this sooner?!
Hellcannon seemed to be constantly on the verge of death and Levergedon before my turn helped, but ultimately what killed it was Ledi's cat army.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 02, 2011, 12:27:25 pm »

Ah, sorry.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 02, 2011, 12:29:10 pm »

and also has nothing to do with my legendary miner and a bunch of other dwarves

SmokedRWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 02, 2011, 12:29:32 pm »

I wanted big clans, and i was annoyed by inbreeding.
I edited the raws this way:
[POP_RATIO:1] for female caste, [POP_RATIO:49] for male caste, in creature_standard.txt
This gives me one female dwarf for every fifty male. I changed their maxage too so they live longer then the average dwarf.

TIL that I can get my Tolkien/D&D-style dwarves just by changing a couple things in the raws.

I was first introduced via D&D and the fact of the matter was that female dwarves were more or non-existent, especially in any of the novels. As a result I have always had a hard time trying to picture a female dwarf and after giving up I just decided to go with the "born from stones" kind of thinking where dwarves just kind of come into being.

Besides I like to imagine that just because of the nature of DF, embarks are more like when me and my buddies go camping for a night or two and just get shit-faced the entire time... then when we sober up we find someone stole our car and our best idea is to STRIKE THE EARTH!

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 02, 2011, 01:19:56 pm »

That was not the point of that last reply. It was to correct the blatant misinformation that was assumed in the sentence fragment; "So you likely beat them by other factors then physical ones".

Well, then A: congratulations good job! :) But still, B: In any case, "likely" is the correct word. And from my own sports expierience, as long as age differences really matter (youth teams) beating ANYONE physically who's 2 years older is quite difficult to do, irrespective of gender. So it obviously wasn't the first thing that crossed my mind.

Anyway, this is getting out of hand I think....should burn more elves with our perfectly equal dwarves!
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 02, 2011, 01:25:36 pm »

Anyway, this is getting out of hand I think....should burn more elves with our perfectly equal dwarves!

I quite agree!

I do like the fact that Toady included the choice to have the females bearded or not. I leave them cleanshaven because I'm lazy, but it definitely brings to mind Pratchett's Dwarves.

...I wonder if there's an ingame translation for Cheery Littlebottom. If there is, I think I need to nickname a dwarf in my next fort. >.>

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 02, 2011, 09:56:19 pm »

All other gender issues aside, I find it hard to believe that any female dwarf has a "little bottom". That is all I have to contribute at this point. Carry on.

[edit]
Wait, no, I have more.

Pain tolerance across genders can still, hypothetically, be related to social conditioning. No, seriously. If you're a member of a caste/gender/group that is encouraged to be tough about pain, you will influence yourself to some degree to be so, due to internalizing that expectation, even if you're not doing it very consciously. Also, if such a group is encouraged to have jobs that are more physically dangerous or demanding, they'll probably get used to pain more to some degree. It's very, very hard to say for certain that anything must be due to inborn traits, since eliminating all confounding factors is nearly impossible.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 09:58:18 pm by G-Flex »
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 02, 2011, 10:55:52 pm »

You'd love that since you're obviously a feminist, defending women's rights so ferociously.

i was willing to just go with the gameplay issues here and help, but after that post, i can see that you're not a good man.

a good man defends EVERYONE'S rights ferociously.

i hope you change your ways before you become a TRUE villain, instead of just playing one in a game.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 10:57:44 pm by Poindexterity »
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 02, 2011, 10:59:05 pm »

It seems like Befenismor bailed after being called out on some of his B.S., so I wouldn't expect him to return. I would honestly not be surprised if he was trolling to begin with, but I kind of doubt that's the case.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

rridgway

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 02, 2011, 11:20:50 pm »

Indeed, trolling seems to be very rare here. So ones guard isn't up, so to speak.

About the issue being debated here. I feel the only difference between females and males is simply the male ability to urinate against gravity while standing up.

Sorry if that was an odd example. I'm a bit...odd.

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 03, 2011, 12:02:52 am »

About the issue being debated here. I feel the only difference between females and males is simply the male ability to urinate against gravity while standing up.

Sorry if that was an odd example. I'm a bit...odd.

Sorry, I take exception to that! I can for sure urinate against gravity in other positions then standing up!

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7