Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Embarkment  (Read 586 times)

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
Embarkment
« on: May 28, 2011, 11:12:24 am »

Hey guys, for the first time I'm actually gonna plan my embarkment instead of the simple embark.

Here's my biome:

Temperate Conifer Forest
Temperature: Temperate
Trees: Heavily Forested
Veggies: Think
Sorroundings: Untamed Wilds

Dimension: 4x5 with a 4x2 purple mountains

And so, I'm kinda lost on what I need.. any suggestions?

I think the thread, cloth and bags have to go as I've never used these for anything, the battle axes should go since they are copper, my copper picks and replace with either bronze or iron, maybe bring some iron or steel bars.

Any suggestions?
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
Re: Embarkment
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 11:22:01 am »

Remove battle axes and take training axes. Use cheap copper picks. Keep a bag and you can get quarry bush roasts out quickly, I usually take about 80 - 100 booze (large variation) and lobsters and a few plump helmets, a pick, 2 training axes, 20 or so of each seeds, some chickens or turkeys or whatever, an anvil and maybe enough supplies to smith a few basic weapons or such.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 11:30:25 am »

If you really want to get the most out of your points, make sure to
- Take 5*n+1 booze so the last unit of each type gets its own barrel
- Take as many seperate types of food as possible so each type gets its own barrel
- Take bags of sand or a single seed you don't plan on using instead of regular bags
- Get rid of the anvil and take iron bars instead (you could take this further and swap all the metal items out for bars, fuel and stone at a profit)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 11:35:55 am by 3 »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 11:34:52 am »

Purple mountains? Bring some military...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 11:52:25 am »

You'll need an anvil to make use of the metal bars, unless you want to wait a year.

There's no reason to bring 1 of every meat type or 5*n+1 booze for extra barrels, since we can now make rock pots. There's no scarcity with rock pots. Do bring sand, I usually bring 30, so you can have extra bags. Use the sand or dump it, whichever pleases you.

Bring tetrahedrite, and if your civilization allows lignite or coal. If they don't have stone fuel, bring extra wood to burn into charcoal. Also bring leather, 10 pieces should do if your bring 20 tetrahedrite. Embark with a lvl 5 farmer/herbalist, a lvl 5 hammerdwarf/dodger, a lvl 5 weaponsmith, a lvl 5 armorsmith, and a lvl 5 leatherworker, a lvl 1 archer/marksdwarf lvl 3 ambusher, and a lvl 5 miner. Designate plants to be gathered when you arrive as well as your fortress to be dug out. Priority goes to turning that leather into shields/armor, and that tetrahedrite into silver warhammers and copper armor. Fear the skeletal deer!

I also like to bring one of every milk, so I can undesignate them from cooking at the start of the game. Plus: free cheese! :)
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 11:55:16 am »

You'll need an anvil to make use of the metal bars, unless you want to wait a year.

Gah. Utter brain failure there.

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 06:54:39 pm »

Yeah... I'd suggest a steel anvil, as well. No telling when those will show up.

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 09:19:07 pm »

I prefer malachite or copper nuggets to tetrahedrite, the ore is cheaper and I don't care about the 20% chance of silver.  I also replace half of the copper ore with cassiterite, if available.  This let's me make some bronze very early, and I can get 2 bars from 1 smelter reaction, which means less time getting the military going.

I also replace the axes (either type) with some logs.  A carpenter can turn them into training axes very quickly.

Sand and milk are very useful, since both cost 1 point on embark and have a free container.  I turn 10-15 sand into serrated glass discs for trade goods, and the milk into cheese for roasts.

Turkeys produce more eggs than any bird except chickens, and they're larger than the chickens.  Good for egg roasts early, then let the eggs hatch to get a huge mass of turkeys you can butcher for meat, bones, and skins 3-5 years down the road.

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.